Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mike Starr dead

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

yeah just saw it on facebook, RIP mike :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

RIP
    Very sad, he tried hard to beat the addiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

So sad , rip Mike, :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭tishiewishie

RIP Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Caco

Just saw it on FB too, poor guy! RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Such a shame, he was a great player, but I'd heard recently that he just couldn't stop using and this was only going to be the eventual result

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Nice news to wake up to
    I sincerely hope the word "not" was accidentally omitted from your first post.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭tracert

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Malice wrote: »

I think it is just the tone of what the OP meant being lost due to the text format.

I read it as 120_minutes as saying it was not a good thing to hear first thing. But the addition of the word not, at the start or at the end of "Nice news to wake up to" would have avoided confusion I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Simon Adebisi

Very sad news. RIP man.

Time for to listen to Sap i think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

Bad news, big AIC fan.

RIP Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

RIP Mike Starr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Malice wrote: »

Nope, think it was just sarcasm.

RIP. Definitely gonna whip out some old school AIC this week...a band I never tire of.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ni4979

R.I.P Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

poor man
    Huge AIC fan here like :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Ah bollocks... That's awful, I checked up on that show once in a while to see how he was getting on and really tried. He was too young, it's so sad. Mike's bass playing on on the AiC S/T and Dirt was a massive part of my learning curve when I started off. It's quite heart breaking.

RIP Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

RIP Mike.

We will all miss him but his legacy will live on in the great music he helped create.

It seems the fight to stay sober may have been what killed him
    Former ALICE IN CHAINS bassist Mike Starr's roommate has told TMZ.com that Mike was "mixing" methadone and anxiety medication hours before he died. According to the roommate, Mike had been using methadone recently in an effort to get sober — but he had also been taking medication to battle anxiety issues he had been suffering from since his arrest last month.

Starr's roommate added, "Mike was a beautiful person who was fighting to stay sober ... I am going to miss him greatly."

It makes me sad to think that if he'd followed any other line of work, and not been exposed to the wealth and success of Alice In Chains (and in turn had more and more money for drugs) he may still be alive today having led a successful and ultimately happier life. The fall of the rock star indeed.

Here's a video of him from last November playing with Steel Panther (one of his last concerts - ironically playing this song in memory of Layne and he wearing a Mother Love Bone T Shirt)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

ex AIC. another one?! why do folk mess with the junk ffs :confused: he was young :/ RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

R.I.P Mike:(

It seems the man can't even rest in peace, somebody from TMZ has been disgraceful enough to upload what they claim is the last voicemail of Mike calling his dealer to score drugs hours before his death

http://www.tmz.com/videos?autoplay=true&mediaKey=97c04d06-2b1e-471b-bfec-bdfb17107d9f

Before you listen to this, I should warn you, I don't believe this is Mike Starr. Mike introduces himself as "this is mike starr...alice in chains..." and it would seem unlikely that Mike would introduce himself in full on a voicemail call while attaching the name of the band he left nearly 20 years ago to help with identification, this is obvious from someone who doesn't even know mike starr is the former bassist of alice in chains and just wanted to make some money from a dead man....disgusting

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

That's ****ing disgraceful! It's definitely not Mike, it can't be after opening up with "Hey, this is Mike Starr... Alice In Chains", the man who made it's should be found out and put to court for some sort of slander like charge. Bloody horrible, and I won't think any more of TMZ for putting it up, not that I expected any better from them, they're a bunch of gossiping, heartless, rag media scumbags! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Chuchu

RIP indeed, very sad.
    This is a super song to remember him by, my fave AIC song and very poignant given another post here from a few months ago in which he was wearing and MLB t-shirt, this was written about another guy who went too soon, Andrew Wood.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yyFN_lkDoM&feature=related
    (Sorry not sure how to post the vids properly!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Kess73 wrote: »
    I think it is just the tone of what the OP meant being lost due to the text format.

I read it as 120_minutes as saying it was not a good thing to hear first thing. But the addition of the word not, at the start or at the end of "Nice news to wake up to" would have avoided confusion I guess.

This.

It was indeed sarcasm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Wooden Jesus

That voicemail is complete ****. Unless it was a voicemeil from 20 years ago when he was with Alice its total bull****. And the guy in the voicemail was trying to buy weed which hardly kills people.
    He died trying to stay clean after mixing methadone with anxiety medication but because he was in rehab the press and most people who dont know a thing about him just think his death was a heroin overdose.
    Its sad he's died but whats so sad about it is the media spinning these kind of stories

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

RIP Mike, as an AIC fan of long standing, I'm very sad to hear this news. Your music will always be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

RIP Mike,
    he never got over layne's death he blamed himself for it because he was there the day he died and layne was very sick and told him if he rang emergency services he woul unfriend him and never speak to him again. such a shame he died with the guilt of that. blaming himself.

Nodferatu wrote: »
    he never got over layne's death he blamed himself for it because he was there the day he died and layne was very sick and told him if he rang emergency services he woul unfriend him and never speak to him again.

Layne's death was even worse, he just closed himself off from the world, he didn't seem to want any help and yet (during his final interview) he spoke about not wanting the pain any longer but not being able to stop taking....very sad...

The fact so many musicians from that Seattle movement died young, and are continuing to die of drug addiction, makes me so frustrated. The sudden surge in popularity and power meant that Staley and Cobain and Wood simply couldn't cope....turned to something to qualm their insecurities and their fears and eventually this destroyed them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭Riddle101

It's sad to hear. RIP Mike Starr

Advertisement