Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spurs V Milan K.O 7:45 UTV & RTE 2

12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

Pauleta wrote: »
    Have you been watching much Serie A this season or are you judging by European performances? Milan are decimated with injuries and suspensions, Roma have been rubbish all season, it was expected for them to do poorly and Inter are still in the tournament. The Europa League doesnt matter to Serie A teams. They put out reserve teams.

Inter were atrocious against Bayern. Roma annihilated. Milan could have spent a fortnight at WHL and still not scored.

Italian football lacks talent right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I forgot how bad that Linesman was he got three or four offside calls wrong when they were on Benny's the most obvious but Pato twice as well thought the ref himself was very good tonight and I suppose the other assistant considering I can't remember a mistake is a good sign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Inter were atrocious against Bayern. Roma annihilated. Milan could have spent a fortnight at WHL and still not scored.

Italian football lacks talent right now.

As an avid follower of Serie A, in my opinion Serie A is much stronger than what it was when Milan last won the champions league.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

the ref was bad. Pato's yellow was as big a joke as Van Percy's last night. And Flamini for the tackle before it wasn't much better!

On top of that crouch fouled 9 times and no yellow for persistent fouling. both lines men had pretty bad offside decisions too.

Anyone know what the actual point of the lads on the endline is? They do nothing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

As an avid follower of Serie A, in my opinion Serie A is much stronger than what it was when Milan last won the champions league.

Perhaps its more competitive but the Milan team of 2007 was streets ahead of this team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Seaneh wrote: »
    the ref was bad. Pato's yellow was as big a joke as Van Percy's last night. And Flamini for the tackle before it wasn't much better!

On top of that crouch fouled 9 times and no yellow for persistent fouling. both lines men had pretty bad offside decisions too.

Anyone know what the actual point of the lads on the endline is? They do nothing!

Milan could be there till christmas and they still wouldnt have scored

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

They check to see if Gallas clearance was legit.

Good to see Europe is once again a Serie A free-zone

Flamini was off the ground with studs up and if you go toward the ball from the wall before the kick is taken it's always a yellow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

The upper echelon of teams in England and Spain are better than what Italy have to offer, but Italy's second tier - the likes of Udinese, Lazio, Palermo etc. - have made huge strides and are way better than what England and Spain have to offer on the same level imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Flamini was off the ground with studs up and if you go toward the ball from the wall before the kick is taken it's always a yellow.

No.

If you are less than 10 yards from the ball, its a yellow. He was far more than 10 yards from the ball!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Ibra has to be the most overrated player around.

Wayne Rooney is more overrated than Ibra imo.

No.

If you are less than 10 yards from the ball, its a yellow. He was far more than 10 yards from the ball!
    What no he wasn't he moved in and was well within the ten yards imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

The best team over the two legs have gone through. Simple as, really.

Well done to Spurs!!

Meant to add Gomes distribution was woeful tonight

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    The upper echelon of teams in England and Spain are better than what Italy have to offer, but Italy's second tier - the likes of Udinese, Lazio, Palermo etc. - have made huge strides and are way better than what England and Spain have to offer on the same level imo.

Really? Napoli beaten 3-1 by Liverpool in the Europa League and they are third in the domestic game. Palermo, Juventus, Sampdoria out at the group stage.

Lazio dumped out by Salzburg (they are Austian remember) the last time they played in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭ironingbored

mike65 wrote: »
    Good to see Europe is once again a Serie A free-zone

Soon to be joined by PL clubs in the 1/4 finals. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Well done Spurs. I thought they would go through over two legs and was delighted they did.

Spurs V Barca in the next round please!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,685 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

The italian teams dont care about the Europa league

That's the impression I get

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Modric had a shocker I thought. The whole Spurs team was jittery. I thought Sandro did very wel though. Don't know how Crouch didn't get a yellow. Flamini is a thug. Milan are useless. Spurs need a good draw in the quarters e.g. Schalke or Shakhtar. Barca would maul them.

But well done Spurs. Good to see a slight change of the guard in England.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

That was the most nerve-wracking 90 minutes of football I've watched in a long time. Delighted to get through. We've come a long way from being 3-0 down against Young Boys!! It was a pretty poor performance tonight but the result is what matters most. I have a new hero.. this guy was outstanding:
    Sandro_2506191.jpg

I know this is OT but very surprised Valencia went out they had so many chances tonight but Schalke were very clinical.

I don't think I'd agree with that.

Udinese and Lazio are in European qualification spots, being 5th and 4th respectively.

I'd back the current 4th and 5th place English sides to beat them and Villarreal who are currently 4th in La Liga have knocked Napoli out of the Europa League and they're 3rd in Serie A.

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Modric had a shocker I thought. The whole Spurs team was jittery. I thought Sandro did very wel though. Don't know how Crouch didn't get a yellow. Flamini is a thug. Milan are useless. Spurs need a good draw in the quarters e.g. Schalke or Shakhtar. Barca would maul them.

But well done Spurs. Good to see a slight change of the guard in England.

I actually think Shaktar would give them a very, very good game which they could win. They haven't lost at home in almost 60 games and are a very decent outfit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I know this is OT but very surprised Valencia went out they had so many chances tonight but Schalke were very clinical.

Schalke wouldn't be a bad draw for your lot. It'd be tough, of course, but i think Spurs could do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

Headshot wrote: »
    The italian teams dont care about the Europa league

That's the impression I get

I guess they will now have to start taking it serious, as they have lost their 4th CL spot to Germany. And one of the main reasons that the germans managed to catch them (and probably spain now as well) is due to the fact that their teams do very well in the EL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

DubDani wrote: »
    I guess they will now have to start taking it serious, as they have lost their 4th CL spot to Germany. And one of the main reasons that the germans managed to catch them (and probably spain now as well) is due to the fact that their teams do very well in the EL.

I can see Italy catching Germany again soon though because EL matches count exactly the same as CL matches and now the 4th place team in Italy will be facing weaker opposition in the EL.

DubDani wrote: »
    Sure English teams until recently have done badly in the competition. But with Liverpool and City they have such large squads it's brilliant to keep squad players sharp and it's a good trophy to aim for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Have you been watching much Serie A this season or are you judging by European performances? Milan are decimated with injuries and suspensions, Roma have been rubbish all season, it was expected for them to do poorly and Inter are still in the tournament. The Europa League doesnt matter to Serie A teams. They put out reserve teams.

Watched plenty of games. They're losing a Champions League place too, it's time for Italy to take the Europa League seriously

Paully D wrote: »
    Villarreal who are currently 4th in La Liga have knocked Napoli out of the Europa League and they're 3rd in Serie A.

I watched that match, it was a very understrength Napoli side. Cavani, Cannavaro, Maggio, Pazienza and Aronica all left out of the starting XI. As Headshot said, the Europa league doesn't matter a piss to them.

I watched that match, it was a very understrength Napoli side. Cavani, Cannavaro, Maggio, Pazienza and Aronica all left out of the starting XI. As Headshot said, the Europa league doesn't matter a piss to them.

Fair enough mate, I didn't see it myself, just the result.

• Advertisement

Really? Napoli beaten 3-1 by Liverpool in the Europa League and they are third in the domestic game. Palermo, Juventus, Sampdoria out at the group stage.

Lazio dumped out by Salzburg (they are Austian remember) the last time they played in Europe.

Believe it or not, I'd still class Liverpool in the upper echelon of English teams. Bit of an 18 month blip aside, they're starting to show their class again and turning heads in the transfer window.

I'd compare the likes of Udinese, Sampdoria, Palermo and Napoli to Everton, Spurs (maybe beginning to switch levels though), Villa (before this season's collapse) in England, and Getafe, Mallorca, Bilbao, Deportivo etc. in Spain - all teams without recent significant Champions League exposure. Man City would count there for England, but their a bit of an anomaly because of the investment they have and are obviously on the verge of moving into the top level.

Fair enough, England would have more teams in the latter stages of UEFA Cup/EL in recent years as well if they had stopped pissing about - Aston Villa, Bolton and Spurs have "thrown" games to concentrate on the PL. Half expecting City to do likewise if it looks like they might lose a top 4 place.

Spurs-v-AC-Milan-009.jpg

This photo is brilliant Azza, pieenar and Benny are like kids in a playground, Sandro and VDV are all Lets rock and Charlie and Gomes look worried

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Fair enough, England would have more teams in the latter stages of UEFA Cup/EL in recent years as well if they had stopped pissing about - Aston Villa, Bolton and Spurs have "thrown" games to concentrate on the PL. Half expecting City to do likewise if it looks like they might lose a top 4 place.

Nah, I'd imagine there's a certain bannr at Old Trafford that City are going to play their boll*x off on Thursdays to tear down. They've fielded surprisingly strong teams in the EL since the knockouts started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Glad to see Spurs through purely for the carry on of Milan in the San Siro.
    Gattuso and Flamini mainly..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Believe it or not, I'd still class Liverpool in the upper echelon of English teams. Bit of an 18 month blip aside, they're starting to show their class again and turning heads in the transfer window.

I'd compare the likes of Udinese, Sampdoria, Palermo and Napoli to Everton, Spurs (maybe beginning to switch levels though), Villa (before this season's collapse) in England, and Getafe, Mallorca, Bilbao, Deportivo etc. in Spain - all teams without recent significant Champions League exposure. Man City would count there for England, but their a bit of an anomaly because of the investment they have and are obviously on the verge of moving into the top level.

They look set to go down this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I can see Italy catching Germany again soon though because EL matches count exactly the same as CL matches and now the 4th place team in Italy will be facing weaker opposition in the EL.

I should hope not ww only just got it back. ;)
    I think we will see the bundesliga on the rise over the next years tbh. They always had a very strongly regulated league in terms of financial healthiness. Paiir that with the great attendances and the financial fair play rules rules kicking in I expect our clubs to play a stronger role on Europe in the future. Even the clubs with debt in Germany are in that position due to stadium developments rather than mad spending sprees. They also have a healthier wage structure and are still not lightyears behind the EPL on average with regards to annual turnover, roughly 65%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Mister men wrote: »
    What has happened to Italian football. Seriously bad teams around this season.

It's been dour and boring for a long time now with the odd exception.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

The Muppet wrote: »
    It's been dour and boring for a long time now with the odd exception.

Out of curiosity when is the last time you watched a Serie A match?

I'll readily admit that the competitiveness of Italian teams in Europe has been in decline for a number of years, but this year it has been anything but boring.

I think the very big matches such as a Milan - Juve or Milan - Napoli two weeks ago can see teams revert to a defensive style that results in poor games, but the majority of serie A games I've seen this year have been crackers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

carlop wrote: »
    Out of curiosity when is the last time you watched a Serie A match?

I'll readily admit that the competitiveness of Italian teams in Europe has been in decline for a number of years, but this year it has been anything but boring.

I think the very big matches such as a Milan - Juve or Milan - Napoli two weeks ago can see teams revert to a defensive style that results in poor games, but the majority of serie A games I've seen this year have been crackers.

A full one? granted it's been a while since I managed to stay awake through a complete game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Mister men wrote: »
    What has happened to Italian football. Seriously bad teams around this season.

book-of-cliches-stinking-thinking-desiree-aguirre.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

The Muppet wrote: »
    A full one? granted it's been a while since I managed to stay awake through a complete game.

Fair enough if that's what you think, but next time there's a match on between two of the teams in the 3-8 bracket, for example Udinese - Napoli or Roma - Palermo, watch it and you'll be pleasantly surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Watched plenty of games. They're losing a Champions League place too, it's time for Italy to take the Europa League seriously

If Inter go out next week, then no one can say that the loss of a spot isn't justified!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Boskowski wrote: »
    I should hope not ww only just got it back. ;)
    I think we will see the bundesliga on the rise over the next years tbh. They always had a very strongly regulated league in terms of financial healthiness. Paiir that with the great attendances and the financial fair play rules rules kicking in I expect our clubs to play a stronger role on Europe in the future. Even the clubs with debt in Germany are in that position due to stadium developments rather than mad spending sprees. They also have a healthier wage structure and are still not lightyears behind the EPL on average with regards to annual turnover, roughly 65%.

Germany have the best run league league in the world.

Advertisement