Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laying sandstone slabs

• 09-03-2011 10:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

We want to lay sandstone slabs from our existing patio around to where we plan to put a new wooden shed for the kids to store their bikes in. These slabs will be laid over an existing base of 804 thats been down since 2008 and is well compacted.

What is the best way to lay these slabs, i.e. on a bed of sand, or using a dry cement/sand mix or to cement in place? I did a similar job in our last house and I just laid the slabs on a bed of sand and apart from a little minor movement which was fixed by adding a bit more sand and compacting, the slabs held in place. However in that case, I laid the sand on top of a weed control membrane so that the sand wouldn't get washed into the ground over time. I feel that if I put the sand on the 804, it will get washed in over time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Bump.

Anyone????

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

We want to lay sandstone slabs from our existing patio around to where we plan to put a new wooden shed for the kids to store their bikes in. These slabs will be laid over an existing base of 804 thats been down since 2008 and is well compacted.

What is the best way to lay these slabs, i.e. on a bed of sand, or using a dry cement/sand mix or to cement in place? I did a similar job in our last house and I just laid the slabs on a bed of sand and apart from a little minor movement which was fixed by adding a bit more sand and compacting, the slabs held in place. However in that case, I laid the sand on top of a weed control membrane so that the sand wouldn't get washed into the ground over time. I feel that if I put the sand on the 804, it will get washed in over time.

OP assuming you have a least 10cm of well compacted HC (which is usually compacted with a whacker/machine vibrated).

Lay the slabs on a wet bed of strong mortar mix 4-1 and level as you go along. Finish when set with dry mix again 4-1 packed well into the joints.

The sand as you've suggested is no good and constant traffic will soon loosen the slabs.

Advertisement