Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crazy quotes!

Options
  • 09-03-2011 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭

Hi lads,

just wondering what your thoughts are, on three quotes ive got so far, on an extension im looking to get done. There is all ready an extension at the back but im looking to continue this accross and to go out a a few feet.

Want to keep it as two seperate rooms, exsisting kitchen and a new playroom, but ive three completly different quotes

Main points:

Remove decking
    extension c. 15ft x 9ft
    foundations ( two sides, one fire wall)
    floor to same level as existing floor
    existing french doors to be reused
    one extra window, one velux
    tiled roof to match old
    insulate walls, floors and ceiling
    radiator, three double sockets, 1 tv point, six downlighters

Thats the main things, but feel free to ask me anything. Now, the quotes so far 8,500k, 13k and 19k !!! The bloke with the 8,500k quote, ive got him before and was happy with his work. But is the other two blokes,having a laff or is my bloke just cheap ?

:)cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

gaz wac wrote: »
    Hi lads,

just wondering what your thoughts are, on three quotes ive got so far, on an extension im looking to get done. There is all ready an extension at the back but im looking to continue this accross and to go out a a few feet.

Want to keep it as two seperate rooms, exsisting kitchen and a new playroom, but ive three completly different quotes

Main points:

Remove decking
    extension c. 15ft x 9ft
    tiled roof to match old

Thats the main things, but feel free to ask me anything. Now, the quotes so far 8,500k, 13k and 19k !!! The bloke with the 8,500k quote, ive got him before and was happy with his work. But is the other two blokes,having a laff or is my bloke just cheap ?

Interesting post, not having seen the site ( obviously ) and going on the details you have given if I were quoting I would be in the middle range.

I took part in a discussion on the Black Economy recently which was ruled out of order, so I won't go there, but I would ask a few questions.

VAT included in all quotes?
    All contractors carry necessary insurances.?
    Payment terms ? payment for works as completed.
    If required, Cert of Compliance with Planning/ Building Regs.

I note the cheapest is from someone who has done work for you before, and that's important, but it does sound in my opinion a bit cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

yea, big differences all right !! three builders are VAT registered, have insurance,own websites to see previous work and have all been in the trade for years so....! :confused:

When I was getting the kitchen done, the first builder also came out on top as sister got him to do some work and she was happy to reccommend. we didnt talk about payment plans as I was just looking for prices.

just waiting for the breakdown of the 13k quote and then I can see what included. But from 9k to 19k !!! wow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

So, if I read it right, you have one contractor, who has done work for your sister. She was happy to give a recomendation.
    He has the insurances, registered for VAT etc, and has a web-site, and you can also get references for previous work.

In addition he is the cheapest by 50%.

Sounds like a no brainer

Good luck with the project

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭wobbie10

I am also currently pricing around for an extension.
    Prices do seem to vary but yours more than double.

Your first quote seems very cheap at €63 ft.2 but your top end price is at €140 ft.2, big difference there !!

Normally i would avoid the craziest low price but in your case with your previous history with this builder i'd say go for it !!

Sounds like a great deal to me.

As a matter of interest where are you located ?

Wobbie10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

Im in Dunboyne, builders are from Blanchardstown/Navan Road and Castleknock. Just noticed the quote for 19k is including two velux windows,instead of one and a window ( didnt know what a SO6 roof light was :o ).
    As soon as I have the second quote, ill be able to go back to builder one and make sure that, everthing that is included in quote two and three, is included in quote one...get me :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

gaz wac wrote: »
    Hi lads,

Main points:

Remove decking
    extension c. 15ft x 9ft
    tiled roof to match old

On topic, a room of 15ft x 9ft to be stripped, platerboarded (insulated), skimmed and finished (skirting, no painting, no new windows, no structural work, no wiring) received qoutes of €3950 and €4250 and €1700 and these were the 3 contractors who responsed from the 9 contractors asked to price it (the others did'nt bother getting back).

Advertisement