Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jobseekers Benefit after Illness Benefit.

• 09-03-2011 11:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I hope someone can help me out here. I have been on illness benefit for 2 years and its run out now. I applied for invalidity pension but I was refused. So my only option now is to sign on and look for work even though I am still not fit for work.

My problem is, I was told over the phone yesterday that I would not be able to apply for jobseekers benefit because I do not have any paid contributions in the relevant tax year 2009.
    Welfare.ie says this:
    Have 26 weeks PRSI paid in the relevant tax year and 26 weeks PRSI paid in the tax year immediately before the relevant tax year.
    *If you do not have 13 paid contributions in the relevant tax year, you must have the 13 contributions paid in any of one the following years:

The 2 tax years before the relevant tax year
    The last complete tax year
    The current tax year.

I did work in 2008 and 2007 so from the above paragraph I would have thought that I would be entitled to sign on. Does anyone have any experience in this type of situation?

I will be calling in tomorrow to discuss in person but I just need to put my mind at rest until then as I am very worried.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

If you have 39 paid or credited contributions in 2009 (which it looks like you have the required amount of credited contributions as you should have been receiving credits for the Illness Benefit), then you can use 2008 or 2007 for calculating the 13 paid contributions.

If it transpires that for some reason you do not have enough contributions for JB, you can apply for Jobseekers Allowance, although this is means tested.

As I'm sure you're aware, you are considered to be fit for work (that's why they refused you Invalidity Pension), and to be eligible for any jobseekers payment you will be expected to be genuinely seeking and available for full time work. I appreciate that you disagree with the decision that has been made, but you need to be careful that you do not give the Department any excuse to refuse you a Jobseekers payment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 liame

Thanks for the reply. I have no other option but to apply for jobseekers benefit and look for a job or else I won't have any income. So hopefully I will be able to get it. I probably wouldn't get anything on jobseekers allowance as my partner is working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭hawthorne

If you are still unfit for work and have a doctor sharing your opinion you can apply for disability allowance instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Invalidity Pension doesn't necessarily get refused because you are fit for work - it is a payment for those who won't be able to return to work in the long term - i.e. you need to be incapable of work for at least another 12 months in the doctor's opinion.
    OP if you and your doctor do not think you are capable for work, you have 2 other options:
    1. Claim Disability Allowance
    2. Keep handing in Illness Benefit certificates and go to your CWO to see if they can pay you.
    You can also appeal the invalidity pension decision and go to your CWO while waiting the outcome of the appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 eireannach44

Hi Folks.Im in a bit of a quandary.Im up for review of my illness benefit which ive been on now for about a year and a half and am about to start a part time fetac level 5 course.Im just wondering if I am taken off illness benefit what type of payment can I expect to receive? Can I transfer over to jobseekers or will I be left in the lurch without any payment (if they stroke me off).By the way I am still ill and dont expect to be taken off my current benefit but the way this country is going there is no guarantee ill be left on it.This is causing me great distress.Looking forward to some of youre views. Ps I have no intention of returning to my previous employment as it is the direct result of my illness. Cheers Guys

• Advertisement
Advertisement