Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Panasonic Q

• 09-03-2011 12:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭

Anyone know how handy it is to mod a Jap Panasonic Q gamecube to play euro region games?

I've seen one online and it only plays Jap (NTSC-J) games. It's not cheap so want to make sure I can get it modded at some stage.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,389 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Eeeek.

I'm all for modding things. Hell, I'd stick a couple of SPDT switches on the side of my head for the craic...but a Panasonic Q? Maybe if there was some switchless mod..but I'd still be very reluctant to alter one of them in any way at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭Steve X2

o1s1n wrote: »
    Eeeek.

I'm all for modding things. Hell, I'd stick a couple of SPDT switches on the side of my head for the craic...but a Panasonic Q? Maybe if there was some switchless mod..but I'd still be very reluctant to alter one of them in any way at all.

Yeah I know what you mean. It's new as well so not even a used model.

I know when they first went on sale they were offered in both standard and multi region dvd/game versions on the likes of liksang(rip, FU Sony) and places like that. It cost an extra $50 or so for the modded version. If I was going to mod it I would want it so that it looked the same externally without any obvious switches etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Steve SI wrote: »
    Yeah I know what you mean. It's new as well so not even a used model.

I know when they first went on sale they were offered in both standard and multi region dvd/game versions on the likes of liksang(rip, FU Sony) and places like that. It cost an extra $50 or so for the modded version. If I was going to mod it I would want it so that it looked the same externally without any obvious switches etc.

It's likely a modchip you'll want to fit. I fit the XenoGC to my standard cube there a while back, a $9 chip. As for whether that'll work in the Q, you'll have to do some googling :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bugs

You will probably be wanting a qoob pro chip. Passed on a Q with one installed about a year ago. No external switches and its about as functional as other GC chips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭DickyC

I think you would be mad to put a mod chip in one as they are known to have a fragile disk mechanism. I got one off adverts that was modded by Lik Sang (damn u sony x2). It plays us games and dvds if I wanted to play pal games I would invest in a freeloader if you can track one down. I don't play mine much as it was more or less new when I got it and I don't want to mess up the dvd tray. But if you do invest you will not regret it as they are the best looking console ever imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I'd love to get it but I'm having second thoughts on it now. It's just the cost is very high for a new one ($696 US not inc postage) and I really need to get an arcade cab built or bought and maybe the funds are best invested in that. I might keep my eye out for a decent condition second hand PAL version and go for that instead of the new (very pricey) version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭DickyC

I paid 200 euro for mine, think it was a fair prices given its condition.
    I like the idea of a cab though that would be nice:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Personally I'd leave it well alone. Pick up a cheap bog standard cube for imports & buy the XenoGC chip. The whole lot should run in at well under €50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

I got Pana Q of Lik Sang too and GBA Player for it....
    Best looking console of the Lot and I have 2 dozen different ones...
    As mentioned above, SONY WRECKED liksang for all.... over stupid Europe PSP
    Seriously like. Hate them.

Cost me a fortune, like 4-500e and customs caught it and cost another 2-300
    Crazy but never regretting this once off and virtual Boy with dozen games too :)
    I have every console with boxes now bar a PS1 and more NB a SNES !!! :)

Mine Pana Q is USA, I buy mostly USA Games at start, but then Europe ones and a FreeLoader to play them, it only takes two seconds to use and how often would you need play them anymore more anyways unfortunately :)
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Freeloader-import-enabler-play-NTSC-US-JAP-Gamecube-/110670291348?pt=UK_PC_Video_Games_Video_Games_JS&hash=item19c476a194

But use it for USA DVDs a lot, and comes with optical for Audio out SWEET !!! :)
    U can buy overlays that turns controller to English too btw

Advertisement