Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Oz

Options
  • 09-03-2011 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi Guys

Very sorry if this has been posted before, i looked through the stickys but still not sure of the answer i need.

Myself and my partner are thinking about a move to Oz permanently.
    Iam in mid 20's and my partner is early 30's.
    Neither of us have a skilled qualification, i only have a degree.

My Brother is an Australian citizen, would this be any benefit to us in trying to get a Visa to migrate to Oz, can he sponsor us for example? He has said he can have work arranged for us when we arrive but he is not an employer.
    Am i just dreaming here or do you think it would be possible to get a visa?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Yeah if your brother sponsored you would only need 100 points instead of 120 for the skilled migration visa, but you still need an occupation/experience to get you a skills assessment.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Your brother could sponsor you but he might have to put what the call Assurance of Support which could be any thing up to $10,000 per person and wouldn't be retuned for 2 years

But as mandrake04 said you would also have to have a skill off the Skilled Occupation Lists

Sponsorship is not a easy or quick way into Oz as so many think it is . I know i'm married to an Aussie for 5 years now and we have a 3 year old kid and still taking me months and 1000's to be able to move to Oz .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

gazmc18 wrote: »
    Hi Guys
    Neither of us have a skilled qualification, I only have a degree.

Huh ??? Thats not exactly useless.

Anyway the short answer is you need to have a blast of a Australian pionts tester see how many pionts you rack up.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭gazmc18

Thanks for the info lads, appreciate it.

Il give that tester a blast too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 alanc520

can u put up a link to that teast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Pope John 11

Sorry guys, just trying to work out the new point systems for me:

Age 33-39 = 25 points
    8 of last 10 yrs experience = 15 points
    Bachelor Degree = 15 points

The pass rate is expected to be 65 points, I need an extra 10 points

IELTS will give me the extra 10 points.

But is the above correct

Also has anyone a list of appropiate steps to take to get sponsorship from companies in Australia

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭LizOHagan

Hello Pope John 11

Age points is correct as well as degree, for work experience it need to be in you nominated occupation or closely related (generally post qualification if applicable) and needs to be 96 months in the 10 years prior to lodging application. A positive skill assessment result is still required at visa lodgement even though no points are allocated under the new points test effective from July 1.

Unless your skill assessment dictates otherwise you will only need to sit the General IELTS test as opposed to the harder Academic version.

Sponsorship is difficult to secure but easier if onshore. You would need to be in an occupation in high demand to stand a good chance. There are no real steps - you have to go knocking on doors and appreciate just how competitive it is but it really will depend on your occupation.

Hope this helps, Liz

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭DaveTwenty7

Sorry for jumping in but is the pass rate definitely 65? If you have more than this does it help?
    How long does it generally take to get one of these visas, I've heard 18 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Sorry for jumping in but is the pass rate definitely 65? If you have more than this does it help?
    How long does it generally take to get one of these visas, I've heard 18 months?
    it can take anywhere between 3 months - 24 months

a bunch of factors determine this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭LizOHagan

Passmark is definitely 65 points and no advantages to being over 65.

Processing times for a skilled visa can be from 3 months upwards but the entire process including skill assessments etc can take at least double that timeframe. It will very much depend on your occupation and type of skilled visa.

Always check through all of the steps and processing times will become clearer to predict!

Advertisement