Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Server 2003 DNS Troubles

Options
  • 09-03-2011 1:20pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have a 2003 server here in the office. Unfortunately I'm not a DNS guru by any means but I managed to configure the server and everyone has an activedirectory login and can see the other computers on the network. This server is also used as the gateway to the internet.

Here is my problem, the domain name is the same as that of our actual external website, this results in users not being able to access www.companyname.com because the server thinks that's itself (confusing). How can I resolve this short of changing the internal domain name (a mess from what I can make out).

It is possible to access the external website from the server itself but we are moving to google apps and need to have access to the domain for mail, calendar etc redirects (mail.companyname.com).

Anyone have a clue what I'm on about?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

Just to add, I can make it so that the DHCP server dishes out an external DNS server to resolve web addresses. This fixes the problem but introduces another problem, the internal computer names will not resolve to correct ip addresses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

as a free advise...

1.modify the hosts file on your local PC/PCs (hard...)
    2.create on your internal DNS primary zone a "other new records",type A,call it "www" and give it the IP address of you "www.companyname.com".Same for others... Flush cache,enjoy it...

If you want more,i can dial remotely and fix it for you.

Never ever use an external DNS/ISP for your AD domain services...your network is going to kick a process at 100% priority called "CV generating event" and is reviewing it as critical ... :)

PS:
    get the ip address of your external 'www' and keep an eye on it as it might change sooner or never !! then,you have to update in dns zone...

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

+1

an internal A Record is the answer to all your problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

If you have just configured AD for the office, but used your external DNS name. I would go back and change it to something generic like "xxxxx.IRL" or "something.local"

Do it right from from the start, while you still have time.

Advertisement