Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Powerscourt Golf Club

Options
  • 09-03-2011 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Am looking at booking a round at Powerscourt golf course.. played the west course before was was quite impressed.

Has anyone played both courses? Any recommendations of the east or west course or comments on them would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Dero123

I've played both, always get confused as to which is the newer one. The older course is the best by miles in my opinion. It's one of my favourites 16th and 17th are two great holes.
    Find the new course very gimicky with the greens. First and only time I played it one of the lads in the group had played it and suggested putting €10 in the pot and the person who got the least number of three putts took the pot...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭d2ww

The West(new) would be my favourite as well, but you won't be disappointed with the East course. The greens aren't gimicky, they just have bigger breaks than most courses. Also, you should take note of the small flag on the flag stick denoting front, middle or back of the 30 metre long greens.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭The_Architect

Why do people think greens with big undulations are gimmicky? The sole trouble is that the clubs maintain them at too high a speed.

The New / West course is a better design and more fun to play.

The East / Old course is a little bland, even if it is situated on the slightly better land.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭patravers

I found the west course to be a lot of fun though the greens were very hard to read and some with a lot of undulation and very quick given the time of year.

A very enjoyable course with some really nice holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

Why do people think greens with big undulations are gimmicky? The sole trouble is that the clubs maintain them at too high a speed.

The New / West course is a better design and more fun to play.

The East / Old course is a little bland, even if it is situated on the slightly better land.

Nicely put.

The West is hillier and has far more thrilling shots. The East course is a few brilliant holes at the start and the end, with average stuff in between.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭NoelAPM

I've played both a number of times. Even won an open there last year. I still don't know which is which because I have no need to compare them. There both excellent and you have really nit pick to choose a favourite.

Enjoy your round.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭boccy23

Just resurrecting this thread slightly, I want to bring my Father-in-Law out here with 2 of his mates, all 70+ and 20+ Handicaps. Which one is the "easier" and more importantly, which would be the easier walk?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,573 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Pretty sure that the easier walk is the east course, and possibly slightly easier. If I remember correctly, the members generally prefer the east, and its probably got an oldish membership

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭boccy23

Perfect, cheers Space

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Yeah would say the East is definitely the handier walk of the two.

• Advertisement
Advertisement