Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UPC V SKY advice needed....

• 09-03-2011 1:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭

I have the digital box from UPC with the recordable feature but i have had too many probs thru the years with UPC. it was off for a week last week as i needed a new cable and they took they,re time. Thinkin about changin to what seems to be a more professional crowd in SKY. Just wondered how they compare and will they be interesten in takin me on for the same price i pay that other lot. Info please? Brian Dublin.:confused:

Clondalkin in Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

upc for tv 3/10

sky 8/10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

SKy is better than UPC for TV that is a given.

If you have an iPhone or Android phone the Sky+ record app is great. I can honestly say its the most useful app i have ever downloaded. You can access the planner from anywhere on the go and record a show.
    Sky Anytime is brilliant aswell. Records all the new shows that are in any way interesting.
    Sky have much better HD content than UPC.

However Sky is more expensive depending on the packages you have but totally worth the money IMO. I find their customer support great but you will always find more complaints than appraisals because thats how internet forums work.
    Sky dont have any internet and phone packages so this will in turn mean that your bills at the end of the month will be higher than what a UPC 3 in 1 package would cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭brianthomas

yeah kinda thought that was the case guys, i think if i chgange over and dont upgrade then it works out much the same bill wise. just have the recording box with UPC so seems like a no brainer to change for better service. I dont have a phone line tho so i think they have to go a certain way about it. more expence i believe but worth it i think. thanks guys. Brian.

Clondalkin in Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭John mac

you don't need a phone line for sky.

another consideration is:- a clear view to the south south east.
    and a place to mount the dish. Apartment may be an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

John mac wrote: »
    you don't need a phone line for sky.

another consideration is:- a clear view to the south south east.
    and a place to mount the dish. Apartment may be an issue.

Yes you do. They probably wont install it if you dont. We received a bill for 200 a month because our box was plugged out of the phone socket. The refunded it once we plugged it in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,142 ✭✭✭✭listermint

OP, do you have broadband? who is it with, If it is UPC's i would reconsider as they have the best packages on the irish market at the moment. Sky have none. You will then be left with Rip of Eircom or the wireless crap...

well what i hear is you dont NEED a phone line but you do have to pay extra installment costs because they have to install a dish or something. but you can defo get sky without phone line. i,m in a semi detached so dish is not a problem. i use mobile broadband here. no need for change on that front.

Clondalkin in Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭John mac

The phone line is only required for a Multiroom subscription.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,142 ✭✭✭✭listermint

well what i hear is you dont NEED a phone line but you do have to pay extra installment costs because they have to install a dish or something. but you can defo get sky without phone line. i,m in a semi detached so dish is not a problem. i use mobile broadband here. no need for change on that front.

Okay, so your happy with mobile broadband. Fair enough. Yes sky has a better TV service all be it more expensive packages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

listermint wrote: »
    Okay, so your happy with mobile broadband. Fair enough. Yes sky has a better TV service all be it more expensive packages.

Not more expensive now since UPC raised their prices again.....Seems to be an all too regular occurence with them lately.With Sky just choose the package you want and pay for that.Plus no sneaky upgrade/downgrade fees if you want to add or take off channels.

On the phoneline issue-you don't need one if it's just one box being installed-direct through Sky there is a €37.50 extra charge for install if you don't have one.99% of independant retailers/installers don't charge this as it's generally waived in Ireland(although Sky's call centre in the UK don't seem to realise this)

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    OP, do you have broadband? who is it with, If it is UPC's i would reconsider as they have the best packages on the irish market at the moment. Sky have none. You will then be left with Rip of Eircom or the wireless crap...

You can get upc bb without tv for an extra €6 a month.

Def the best out there ;-)

you can get UPC broadband without having their tv service?

Clondalkin in Dublin

from their site:

A standalone charge of €7.75 applies when not purchasing our TV service

its gone up ;-)

http://www.upc.ie/broadband/thirty/

In conditions.

Advertisement