Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft begins work on the Xbox 720

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

ranopano wrote: »
    It's no coincidence that launch titles are terrible or boring games.

It takes a long time for developers to come to grips with a new console. OK, it took longer with the PS3 because of Sony messing about, but it still takes time.

So with a new console, the cost of making a game goes up. Developers take less risks and bang out Call of Duty Modern Warfare 38, Need for Speed Shift Unleashed Fast Car Game 84. And they might look a little prettier but so what?

The guy who said the next GTA would have a lot of extra stuff like animals and realistic damage on a next generation console, yeah it might. But if the PS4 came out, you'd see a new GTA game, cause it's guaranteed sales. You wouldn't see Rockstar taking a chance like with RDR and now L.A. Noire. It's only well into a console lifespan that thing's like that happen. Yeah it was 5-6 years from the PS1 to the PS2, but that doesn't mean it always has to be the same lifespan. The cycle will and should keep getting bigger.

A 10 year cycle makes sense to everyone. It was different with the PS1-PS2 and Xbox-Xbox 360 jump. Except for insanely realistic graphics developers can do nearly everything they can think of with this generation. So costs go down, more risks, better games. And don't forget the well established and incredible multiplayer networks set up for the current generation.

I can see your point. But it will mean games with better graphics, and less of them. Not better games. I can relate to what you mean, you've got a deadly PC and you want amazing looking demanding games on it, but you're in the minority at the moment.

Well they release a new generation with the thinking that enough people can. Sony and Microsoft aren't on some crusade to further games technology. PS2 games still came out after the PS3, but they were ****ty PS2 ports or kids games weren't they?

Actually dude Sony weren't suppose to release their console till 2007 but because Microsoft release there's in 2005 they couldn't give them a 2 year head start, that's why you seen games like resistance that was originally suppose to be a ps2 title having come over to the ps3 with no polish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

TheDoc wrote: »
    I don't think you will see this for the next 5-8 years, easily.

There is alot of big plans for Kinect and the current generation hsa plenty of life left in it.

Not expecting anything for the next few years.
    Maybe not quite that long of a timeframe but yeah your right that its a few years off at the very least (2014 at the very earliest IMO)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Nollog

Syferus wrote: »
    No. A new console decreases your audience from 40 million units to a couple million. Excitement has never bested the raw ecnomics of the huge increase in cost invovled in developing for a new console. It took a good few cycles before either HD system was a completely viable entity for a third party. The prevailing sense in the industry, admidst a recession and multiple closures and mergers, is one of conservationism.

Then why do they want to commit commercial suicide?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

As soon as mew console will be out, you can forget about games for 360 etc. It happened to original xbox and ps2. All just jumped on new hardware. Itvwill be same story, and I wount blame them.... What is better? Making games for future console which will have a life spam of anather 6 years? Or make games on platform which is outdated.

Trust me, as soon as new generation will come out, you, me, all boards.ie all Ireland, Europe etc, will forget about 360.

They won't forget about the PS3/360 because theres so many units sold and that means money to be made. The PS2 is still selling.

Its only natural for peoples attention to turn to the latest technology. CD's replaced tapes, windows 95 was replaced as was the floppy disc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Notorioux

TheDoc wrote: »
    I don't think you will see this for the next 5-8 years, easily.

There is alot of big plans for Kinect and the current generation hsa plenty of life left in it.

Not expecting anything for the next few years.

+1 to this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

I still think theres a long time left in both the ps3 and xbox with a good size hd have int hit 200 euros yet so i still see maybe 2 to 3 years left in both

With the ps3 now having 3d games is there a need to upgrade this to the ps4 yet when sony lost there balls on the ps3. Sony are going to try and break even on the ps3 before the ps4 will come out but with all the updates on both there is no need for a upgrade just yet

But with the kinect on the xbox has added a few more years to the xbox and the games are still looking good to this day so why update ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

I still think theres a long time left in both the ps3 and xbox with a good size hd have int hit 200 euros yet so i still see maybe 2 to 3 years left in both

With the ps3 now having 3d games is there a need to upgrade this to the ps4 yet when sony lost there balls on the ps3. Sony are going to try and break even on the ps3 before the ps4 will come out but with all the updates on both there is no need for a upgrade just yet

But with the kinect on the xbox has added a few more years to the xbox and the games are still looking good to this day so why update ?

They do have a few years left in them. But developing a new console takes alot of time and money.
    If they start today it will only be ready in 3-4 years. A bit like kinect, it was probably originally designed in 2007-2008 when the wii was effectly raping the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Careful planning for next gen consoles should happen right now but with Kinect having just been released I think it would be foolish to launch anything especially if these peripherals are designed to increase the longevity of the current crop of consoles.

The only thing I can see Microsoft tapping into is the 3D aspect of gaming as the PS3 can support that already.

Over the years, there will most likely be an influx in the sales of 3D TV's so planning around that might be the smart thing to do.

As it stands, I'm quite happy with both my Xbox/PS3. They do everything I want and more. I wouldn't expect any next gen consoles to be launched for another say 4 or 5 years.

I'd be surprised if Sony/Microsoft or indeed Nintendo released any new console in that time.

If there is something to be released by Microsoft, it may be a handheld although it is a very tough market to break into with Apple and Nintendo really bossing the market imo.

Regarding wanting to make a profit on the consoles, does anyone have any figures? I'd be surprised if microsoft were still making a loss on the xbox and I'd say also that they've seen how important it is to get the console out before the next playstation. Yes there were faults but it was still worthwhile for them to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

profitius wrote: »
    Regarding wanting to make a profit on the consoles, does anyone have any figures? I'd be surprised if microsoft were still making a loss on the xbox and I'd say also that they've seen how important it is to get the console out before the next playstation. Yes there were faults but it was still worthwhile for them to do it.

AFAIR MS were always making a profit on the consoles themselves though once marketing etc. were taken into account that would be different.
    Sony on the other hand were making a massive loss at first. http://ie.ps3.ign.com/articles/746/746482p1.html I think the cost of each console halved within about a year and within 18 months they were breaking even on component costs at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Then why do they want to commit commercial suicide?

They don't. Once a generation starts companies put most of their best teams to work on the new consoles that have a longer lifespan going forward, that hardly negates the fact doing so has become very fiscally painful. The level of art assets needed for top tier games now has meant the rules for generational shifts are much changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Nollog

They don't. Once a generation starts companies put most of their best teams to work on the new consoles that have a longer lifespan going forward, that hardly negates the fact doing so has become very fiscally painful. The level of art assets needed for top tier games now has meant the rules for generational shifts are much changed.

So now you're saying it's not bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Im happy with the current generation now, but in 3 years time it will be time for a new console no harm with them starting to look at it seriously.

/\/ollog wrote: »
    So now you're saying it's not bad?

Pardon?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

That_Guy wrote: »
    Careful planning for next gen consoles should happen right now but with Kinect having just been released I think it would be foolish to launch anything especially if these peripherals are designed to increase the longevity of the current crop of consoles.

The only thing I can see Microsoft tapping into is the 3D aspect of gaming as the PS3 can support that already.

Over the years, there will most likely be an influx in the sales of 3D TV's so planning around that might be the smart thing to do.

As it stands, I'm quite happy with both my Xbox/PS3. They do everything I want and more. I wouldn't expect any next gen consoles to be launched for another say 4 or 5 years.

I'd be surprised if Sony/Microsoft or indeed Nintendo released any new console in that time.

If there is something to be released by Microsoft, it may be a handheld although it is a very tough market to break into with Apple and Nintendo really bossing the market imo.

The Xbox 360 already supports 3D gaming, same as the PS3, they just aren't pushing it as much, but Black Ops, for example, can be played in 3D on the Xbox 360.
    http://www.mcvuk.com/news/37115/Xbox-360-is-fully-3D-capable

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

About time imo.As it is,this wouldn't be out until 2013/2014 anyway, and the 360 is already painfully outdated

I forgot to mention that its rumored that games could be disc free in next gen consoles. No more discs but instead games could be on memory sticks and probably most will be downloadable too. I remember the old sega megadrive with the big chunky cartridges! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

titan18 wrote: »
    About time imo.As it is,this wouldn't be out until 2013/2014 anyway, and the 360 is already painfully outdated
    care to say how you think its painfully outdated??? or are u just gonna throw a random comment like that on board here? it would have made sense for you to state why like??

profitius wrote: »
    I forgot to mention that its rumored that games could be disc free in next gen consoles. No more discs but instead games could be on memory sticks and probably most will be downloadable too. I remember the old sega megadrive with the big chunky cartridges! :D

The next generation won't be physical media free. Downloads will continue to be progressively pushed harder and harder but in simple terms the online infrastructure is barely there for anyone to download files in the region of 30-50GBs now in the most populous of places and it'll hardly be widespread enough in three years that the publishers could comtemplate cutting out retainers entirely. The proponents of that idea for the next generation are engaging in the most blinkered blue sky thinking imaginable.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

wait wait wait

*sits down*

ok....go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Fouloleron

Seeing the massive success that Xbox live was on the 360, I would not be surprised if Xbox took their time in designing the new console. No point killing off the cash cow too quickly.

Interesting idea of the future would be that console generations become longer, with online content becoming the main money maker rather than making improved consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

care to say how you think its painfully outdated??? or are u just gonna throw a random comment like that on board here? it would have made sense for you to state why like??

Take the fanboy hat off.

I love my 360 but the actual tech inside it is atleast 5 years old. It basically has an ATI x1900 in it. Current cards at the 100 euro price point crap all over that. It's amazing they achieve what they do nowadays with the 360 graphically. They are working with alot of limitations. It's also the reason why many triple A titles don't run natively at 720p.

A bit of perspective please.

6 year old tech.It's holding PC games back a bit, as most are multiformat and designed with the 360 in mind. PC components - RAM,CPUs,Hard-drives,GPUs have moved on a good bit since the 360 was released.

Sorry about bringing this to a console vs pc thing, but it just happens to be the truth.

If someone bought a PC 6 years and tried to play some of the latest games on it, it wouldn't happen.

Kirby wrote: »
    Take the fanboy hat off.

I love my 360 but the actual tech inside it is atleast 5 years old. It basically has an ATI x1900 in it. Current cards at the 100 euro price point crap all over that. It's amazing they achieve what they do nowadays with the 360 graphically. They are working with alot of limitations. It's also the reason why many triple A titles don't run natively at 720p.

It's hardly amazing. A pc needs to be persistently running a full OS whereas none of the consoles have anything but basic overlays in game. The difference in resolution between HDTVs and most pc screens help things considerably too. Older doesn't mean out-dated as it's a very relative term. This generation above all others has seen a levelling off of graphical fidelity between pc and consoles, more to do with the fiscal considerations of higher quality art assets than any technical reason.

It's hardly amazing. A pc needs to be persistently running a full OS whereas none of the consoles have anything but basic overlays in game. The difference in resolution between HDTVs and most pc screens help things considerably too. Older doesn't mean out-dated as it's a very relative term. This generation above all others has seen a levelling off of graphical fidelity between pc and consoles, more to do with the fiscal considerations of higher quality art assets than any technical reason.

I'd actually consider it's more to do with the lack of PC-only games around, and of the ones that are they go crazy like Crysis or they're strategy games.

I'd consider 6 year old tech to be outdated as like I said get a 6 year old PC and see what new games it'll run. Could a 6 year old pc run Dragon Age 2 or Shogun:Total War.I don't think it would tbh, whereas as Dragon Age is running on the 360.

I've nothing major against the 360,although I've had two RRODs, but I can't say that it's not holding PC gaming back, and it's definately time for a new generation imo. You're looking at Christmas 2013 at the earliest I'd say, at which point it's 8 year old tech.That's a pretty long shelf-life,considering the Xbox to the 360 was 4 years.I reckon Nintendo will upgrade first as the Wii was a pretty low-specced console in comparison, and then they'll all move.

I'd actually consider it's more to do with the lack of PC-only games around, and of the ones that are they go crazy like Crysis or they're strategy games.

I'd consider 6 year old tech to be outdated as like I said get a 6 year old PC and see what new games it'll run. Could a 6 year old pc run Dragon Age 2 or Shogun:Total War.I don't think it would tbh, whereas as Dragon Age is running on the 360.

And again that's fiscal - it's not all that sensible to develop assets at such a level beyond their current level because you'll only appeal to the very fractured PC market that has the tech (and wants to) to run the game at significantly fidelities.

Kirby wrote: »
    Take the fanboy hat off.

fanboy hat?? grow up kirby lol.. im 28 i left my fanboy hat with the playstation 1 and 2 ;)

i am pissed about further having to buy new nhardware for gaming i recently upgraded my 360 cost me an extra 170 euro then they release kinect 150 and between my fightstick tritton headset etc etc its already cost me a bloody fortune and if they change whole set up it will cost us dearly..

that comment that i defended the 360 for was random and imo a flame comment.

if ms can deliver the goods with this console then why not???? why is it the ms or sony try and outdo each other with releasing etc? ms messed up originally with the 360 its only right now the consoles are fantastic andnow seem to be fantastic.

i have the ps3 aswell and its a super machine no doubt it can push on for years to come aswell but sony like ms are just getting to grips with the consoles they have..

i for one hope a new console wont happen for 3 years so i can get the value i should from the games accessories and console i have spent on my gaming experience..

where apart from 3d can they go? ms have stated the 360 IS capable of 3d gaming but whats the point in 3d gaming really?> who in the middle of this recession can afford a 3d tv?? plus if i had to wear specs gaming it would drive me mad lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

fanboy hat?? grow up kirby lol.. im 28 i left my fanboy hat with the playstation 1 and 2 ;)

i am pissed about further having to buy new nhardware for gaming i recently upgraded my 360 cost me an extra 170 euro then they release kinect 150 and between my fightstick tritton headset etc etc its already cost me a bloody fortune and if they change whole set up it will cost us dearly..

that comment that i defended the 360 for was random and imo a flame comment.

if ms can deliver the goods with this console then why not???? why is it the ms or sony try and outdo each other with releasing etc? ms messed up originally with the 360 its only right now the consoles are fantastic andnow seem to be fantastic.

i have the ps3 aswell and its a super machine no doubt it can push on for years to come aswell but sony like ms are just getting to grips with the consoles they have..

i for one hope a new console wont happen for 3 years so i can get the value i should from the games accessories and console i have spent on my gaming experience..

where apart from 3d can they go? ms have stated the 360 IS capable of 3d gaming but whats the point in 3d gaming really?> who in the middle of this recession can afford a 3d tv?? plus if i had to wear specs gaming it would drive me mad lol

just one question, what was going through your mind when you bought a kinect??? i really dont get the lure of the thing at all, and no they are not just getting to grips with the consoles, they are well used of them by now

just one question, what was going through your mind when you bought a kinect??? i really dont get the lure of the thing at all, and no they are not just getting to grips with the consoles, they are well used of them by now

I bought Kinect as looked good with sports games and party games!!!!

Also ms have only tackled rrod probs now and ps3 is getting some good titles too so yes both companies are on the ball now!!!! Or getting to grips with their consoles

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

why do people not want a new console?? better graphics better gaming????

i understand the price they are when they come out but like what tv did you have 6years ago and what tv do you have now??
    would you go back to your old tv? doubt it?

i will admit that xbox/ps3 are still well able to keep us satisfied so a xmas 2013 release date should be the aim as it feels like ages since the ps3 came out to be fair but im in no great rush since like others i still fully enjoy my xbox 360 more than ever to be honest!

but i feel it is time for the powers at microsoft and playstation to get round to it in a mild hurry

Advertisement