Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft begins work on the Xbox 720

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

why do people not want a new console?? better graphics better gaming????

i understand the price they are when they come out but like what tv did you have 6years ago and what tv do you have now??
    would you go back to your old tv? doubt it?

i will admit that xbox/ps3 are still well able to keep us satisfied so a xmas 2013 release date should be the aim as it feels like ages since the ps3 came out to be fair but im in no great rush since like others i still fully enjoy my xbox 360 more than ever to be honest!

but I feel it is time for the powers at microsoft and playstation to get round to it in a mild hurry

Why would it automatically mean better gaming? The graphical leap won't be anything like leaps in the past, and I'm not fussed about how well the the eyebrow hairs of the generic military guys are rendered in CoD etc. There tends to be a lag-time after the release of a new console before games that match the quality of the previous generation are released, so why the rush? (e.g. the PS1 to PS2 jump - how long did it take for a game that blew every PS1 game out of the water gameplay-wise to be released?),

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

ghostchant wrote: »
    The graphical leap won't be anything like leaps in the past...............

And you know this how?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

after spending a fortune on a new slim 250 then buying stand alone kinect 150 and the 50 odd games i have with tritton headset 200 euro fightstick 170 euro and they talk about a new console???

i say F U C K you ms if you do it this early im buying a gaming pc once and for all i swear

Should've bought a PC tbh.
    ghostchant wrote: »
    Why would it automatically mean better gaming? The graphical leap won't be anything like leaps in the past, and I'm not fussed about how well the the eyebrow hairs of the generic military guys are rendered in CoD etc. There tends to be a lag-time after the release of a new console before games that match the quality of the previous generation are released, so why the rush?

High resolution gaming - new consoles will be full 1080p, they will have support for 3D gaming and 120Hz refresh rates (not the current 24 / 30). Move to new API for development. Finally, we can get away from DX9. The new consoles will be DX11+ from the ground up. Which means MUCH better optimisation, better effects, real time physics and tesselation, high levels of AA as standard.

Would you like me to list more? A new generation of games consoles will change how games are developed. The jump from DX7/8 class to DX9 with the last gen, is minute (apart from the programmable pixel shader, which was a big leap for the time) compared to a jump from DX9 to DX11+ in terms of feature set, optimisation and resource handling.

The power available in current gen gfx cards is orders of magnitude greater than what you see in xbox 360 and ps3 - and this in turn is holding the development of PC games back (hence we see a lot of crap ports, unoptimised code etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Vyse wrote: »
    And you know this how?

Reading my post back, I'd probably have asked myself the same question :) In my head I was referring to the leaps from 8-bit to 16-bit and 16-bit to 32/64-bit specifically, in terms of how 'life-like' the gameworld could look, such as the 'holy sh*t' reaction that I had when seeing Mario 64 the first time. I'm pretty content with how realistic a lot of high-end games look these days, and so would not go running with 600e in my wallet to buy a PS4 on day-one on the back of any graphical advancements or increased processing power alone.

3D gaming and super-fast refresh rates are nice I guess, but only certain games genres have any need for those things. I don't think the Tactics Ogre series, for example, is going to benefit from them.

But anyway I'm completely biased, my favourite platform this generation by miles was the DS. Actually I'd say it's my favourite platform of all time, even without god-like processing power. :P

Also a genuine question here, would we expect to see the typical budget of a triple-A game drastically increase? I imagine the 'play it safe' mentality we see nowadays with big-budget releases would only become more prevalent if so, which can't be a good thing.
    EDIT: I guess this ties in with my question: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-01-19-thq-new-consoles-would-be-horrible

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

I agree whole-heartedly. The jump could never be as explosion as sprites to polygons or even SD to HD this generation. Even the gap between DX9 and DX11 isn't so amazing that it'll have joe consumer (who may or may not have a HD TV, let alone a 3D TV) hyped into a frenzy. It'll be a noticeable upgrade but it's hardly going to shake the foundations of gaming technically - the philosophies of future consoles are the most important things they'll provide.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Syferus wrote: »
    I agree whole-heartedly. The jump could never be as explosion as sprites to polygons or even SD to HD this generation. Even the gap between DX9 and DX11 isn't so amazing that it'll have joe consumer (who may or may not have a HD TV, let alone a 3D TV) hyped into a frenzy. It'll be a noticeable upgrade but it's hardly going to shake the foundations of gaming technically - the philosophies of future consoles are the most important things they'll provide.

Most current gen console games aren't HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

The first thing I want changed is that FVCKING name.

"Xbox 720"?
    Someone please SHOOT the guy who wrote that.
    And the next person who does, too.

Next, the next console needs a price drop.
    No question.
    My PS3 is the last console I'm spending more than €200 on -- next console better be less, or I'm switching to PC for my future gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

i can tell you right now that its not going to cost 200 or less

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Can someone tell me why this is in the games section? Should it not be in Xbox section?...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    My PS3 is the last console I'm spending more than €200 on -- next console better be less, or I'm switching to PC for my future gaming.

A top end PC that will play all the current games at max setting will cost around a grand, that's cheap custom parts and build yourself. You will need upgrades to keep playing the latest games for the next 5-6 years. Then you have all the erors that go along with it and over the top security setting causing issues. I used to be a big PC gamer and doing all the yearly upgrades but it's just not worth it any more. The gap between console and PC games does not justify it anymore. PC games are all dumbed down to current console level these days.

Or pay around 500-600 on a new console and play them same games at lower graphic levels for the next 5-6 years with no problems. You buy a console game, stick it in and you know it will work. A PC game there is always the nagging feeling that something will go wrong, security, driver, graphic setting issues to tweak around and then the random CTDT issues that are all too common in some games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Can someone tell me why this is in the games section? Should it not be in Xbox section?...

Discussion of any future games machine involves the Games section.

Personally dont see any graphical changes until Dx14 or so, consoles can run well with certain games, both Msft and Sony going after the Wii pie.

Wii went all Fatality and **** on Sony and Msft with simple games with arm waving games, they will spend the next 2 years catching up on that pie. It sold more in its 1st year than both consoles have combined to date.

Nintendo were confident HD didnt matter and were ultimatley proved right.

Sony Msft will have try sign up a 3rd party as a licence ala PES on PS(i bought ps for pes), GTA on PS then 360(yeah it worked on me).

reckon there be more move and kinect games and then after 5 years people will switch to PC, so i think they will try grow their own CONSOLE only games. Either one or both will try make COD a Console exclusive in the near future.

/i hope that happens :D

A top end PC that will play all the current games at max setting will cost around a grand, that's cheap custom parts and build yourself. You will need upgrades to keep playing the latest games for the next 5-6 years. Then you have all the erors that go along with it and over the top security setting causing issues. I used to be a big PC gamer and doing all the yearly upgrades but it's just not worth it any more. The gap between console and PC games does not justify it anymore. PC games are all dumbed down to current console level these days.

Or pay around 500-600 on a new console and play them same games at lower graphic levels for the next 5-6 years with no problems. You buy a console game, stick it in and you know it will work. A PC game there is always the nagging feeling that something will go wrong, security, driver, graphic setting issues to tweak around and then the random CTDT issues that are all too common in some games.

you can easily build a decent gaming pc for 600 euro. and you dont have to upgrade every year to play the latest games. just dont crank the settings up to full on very hardware intensive titles (which there arent even many of tbh)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

indough wrote: »
    you can easily build a decent gaming pc for 600 euro.

This is a common myth tbh. Most people will need a new monitor to replace their old ancient CRT and thats 200 quid right there. That needs to be factored in.

Factor in the extra 100 quid for windows (most people want to be legal) and thats HALF of your proposed budget right there.

None of the old parts can be cannablized into the new PC except maybe the mouse and keyboard so you are talking a total build.

A decent multimedia PC can be had for 500-600 quid but if you want to play games 800 is a more realistic budget. The extra 200 will make a world of difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Who said I'm building a new PC, or that I care about running at highest settings? :confused:
    I'm using my PS3 and Wii less as-is, I don't see any reason to "upgrade" to the next thing if it costs a bomb.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Who said I'm building a new PC, or that I care about running at highest settings? :confused:
    I'm using my PS3 and Wii less as-is, I don't see any reason to "upgrade" to the next thing if it costs a bomb.

Not me anyway.

I was merely commenting on a pet peeve of mine. When I hear a layman ask a nerd such as ourselves how much an adequate gaming pc would cost. The answer is always lowballed.

It's like most people's inner nerd takes pride in telling people how cheaply all this stuff can be had. Indough is right that you don't have to drop a bomb to get a decent rig nowadays....but I still think 600 is off the mark.

Anway, we should probably steer this back towards the new xbox.

Kirby wrote: »
    This is a common myth tbh. Most people will need a new monitor to replace their old ancient CRT and thats 200 quid right there. That needs to be factored in.

Factor in the extra 100 quid for windows (most people want to be legal) and thats HALF of your proposed budget right there.

None of the old parts can be cannablized into the new PC except maybe the mouse and keyboard so you are talking a total build.

A decent multimedia PC can be had for 500-600 quid but if you want to play games 800 is a more realistic budget. The extra 200 will make a world of difference.

umm no, it is not a myth at all. for starters when someone gives a quote for a build it never includes the monitor. almost everybody on here bar those on mobiles already have a monitor or tv with pc input plus a copy of windows. i dont know where you get the impression that most people want to pay for their os but that is also way off the mark. honestly i dont think i know a single person who has paid for their copy of windows bar myself and thats probably only because i am a computer professional. also things such as optical drives can be cannibalized which is saving you around 20 quid straight away. a good case can also be reused which could save you another 50 euro or so.

i have built enough of these things to know it can be done. check this thread for many examples of builds coming in at around or below the example price i gave

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055278463

why? did somebody quote you as saying that or address you on that point because i dont see it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Nollog

Is this what all those PC V. Console Gaming threads are like?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Is this what all those PC V. Console Gaming threads are like?

This one's quite tame TBH

Advertisement