Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Someplace really nice to eat out.

Options
  • 09-03-2011 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭

Hi to all in Galway,

The missus and I are heading to the city of the tribes for a weekend away, starting Paddy's day for 2 nights.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a really nice restaurant in the city? We're big food lovers so anything goes, once it's nice. Oh and we've decided to splash out this weekend so price won't be a major issue (until we get home on Saturday and check the bank balance :D) once we get a very good meal.

Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I've heard good things about a place called Oscars?, is it any good?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I really like Vina Mara on Middle Street.

http://www.vinamara.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Spadina wrote: »
    I really like Vina Mara on Middle Street.

What kind of food is it?

Also might as well lump it all into the one thread, Anyone know of anything going on in the city on 17th and 18th? any comedy gigs or shows going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Check out the Best X sticky. It has many suggestions.

biko wrote: »
    Check out the Best X sticky. It has many suggestions.

Thanks biko, but not really what i'm looking for, I could have pulled a list of faceless restaurant names off of Google.

What I'm looking for is a bit more indepth user experience, of a restaurant. A list of names won't tell me what the service is like, or that x dish at x restaurant is amazing and worth going there for that dish alone.

Basically I'm looking for something like the information onthis thread on the Limerick forum, in relation to Galway's restaurants.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

yes Oscars is lovely - it looks not to good from the street but once inside it really is great - one of the best places to eat - service is brilliant too and you are never rushed - they really appreciate their customers.

O grady's in Barna by Pier is good too - although you would probably need to taxi it - its about a 10 - 15 minute drive from the town. but it's lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Handiniho

Oscars is excellent, they do great steak and a wide selection of seafood.
    Kirwans Lane restaurant is very good and quite expensive. Reccomend their sole on the bone.
    Their sister restaurant O'Gradys on the Pier is in Barna, approx 10 mins drive from Galway city. This is also very good.
    In my opinion these are the top three restaurants in Galway.
    Havent been to White Gables in Moycullen but it is also very popular (approx 15 mins from Galway city)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

In the city, Eight.
    Outside the city, O'Grady's.

Of the two, I'd pick eight, smaller menu, less expensive (but still not cheap) and its not pretentious at all. Food is excellent too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Or Cava as well is lovely, such different food.

I personally wouldn't normally give advice by saying you should go for x dish in particular or something like that because everyone has different tastes and opinions so I wouldn't be so definite in telling someone what to order.

I think you misunderstood me, sorry.... What i meant was that I just wanted more information than a list of restaurants in the area. Thanks for your comment though, Just looked at Cava's website, looks interesting alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

For me, it is usually a mixture of good food, atmosphere, value and that certain something, that is usually mood dependent (you fancy Indian food, good wine, whatever), also convenience and getting home. If price isn't so much of a dealy then

Ard Bia - I have huge fondness for the location, and thought it can be eccentric, I find the food always good.

Cava - lots of options, decent wine

Also would mention O'Gradys and 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

For me it would be Bar 8 or Artisan, followed by Vina Mara and MaltHouse

In most of these all try to source local produce,

Bar 8 and Artisan change their menu fairly regularly (so cant really reecommend a stand out dish) both have a seasonal element to them. Neither have an extensive menu which is a big plus for me as no kitchen can churn out a large variety of dishes to a high standard (and both these places do have a high standard.)
    In both places I have found the atmosphere great, Artisan has a slightly more intimate feel to it. The wine lists in both are again limited but decent enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭chasmcb

I'd echo the recommendations for Cava, have eaten there a few times and it's always been nice. The Asian Tea House is also good - cuisine is a mix of Asian dishes, they have a website also where you can browse their menu. Happy dining!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

Oscars on dominac Street, I have only heared good words from this place, great service, menu and quality food, a bit on the expensive side however.

Kashmir Indian is also a fantastic place, the food is lovely if you enjoy indian food, the manager is very friendly however the lat few times the staff, for me were not the best.

If you venture out to Salthil, there is the Royal Villa a lovey chinease restraunt with great menu choice, staff and a fantastic view of Galway bay(make sure you book seats)

There is also an Itlian restraunt Da Reburots, which have to restraunts, one a pizzera type place and another more traditional italian courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

The only thing I can say is Artisan is the only place I have been to lately where I was happy with everything as a whole. The bill was a bit steep maybe ok but the way i look at it, between 2 people if it differs like 20-30 quid on the bill, big deal if you're not eating out every weekend it is worth it.

Also, 2 weeks back I was in The Gourmet Tart Company in Salthill and while it is not as "intimate" as Artisan, i really liked the food & the service. Bit cold (temp) though for some reason (they have good prices, must be saving on heating). Another good thing here is that you can walk across to Oslo or go up to O'Connors for an avec.

Malthouse - was there fairly recently as well and it is pretty nice, well cooked food and decent service.

Vina Mara is always good and consistent

I personally like Tamarind as well for Asian Fusion type food., they have a nice menu and the food feels fresh.

Maybe this is overdoing it for you but if you have time, call in to the restaurant you are going to beforehand and get a feel for the place and pick an exact (good) table that you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Aero28

I love McSwiggans in woodquay in the city centre. Its always busy and full. Food is really good. Booking a table in advance is advised. Hope ye enjoy your weekend break.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Artisan is fantastic, I'm a big fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

Cactus Jacks... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭StonedRaider

I find myself going to Roberta's quite a lot lately.

Proper gnocchi...and lovely crab&lobster ravioli.
    Veal saltimboca and not forgetting filleto michelangelo :D(fillet wrapped in parma ham)

The pizzaria does a good value for money lunch menu. Nice large main for €8+

Yet to visit Bar8 for a meal..but heard yer wan the cannonball is leaving. They still going for a michelin star I wonder :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭mangled

Cactus Jacks +1
    Stumbled upon it by mistake, never heard of it before. been going regularly since.Never had a bad experience.
    Great quality mexican food(some other dishes too). Staff are also very warming. Have nothing but good words for the manager/owner. Massive portions, booking is a must.

But if ur a BIG romantic you will surely treat your lady to the most romantic meal of all at a little place called Supermacs. Full of friendly people, all chat, advise would be to make a booking for around 2.30am. :D

Enjoy either way :)
    Happy St.Patrick's Day

• Advertisement

McDonaghs.... ;) Not really.

I have to say Mc Swiggans though.. I treated my family to a meal there on my last day in the city and they absolutely loved it. The design of the interior with that tree is very interesting and the food is amazing. Don't let the fact it's a bar downstairs take away from it's quality as a reataurant.

Since I've been away, that's the one place that I get homesick for food and atmosphere for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

foinse wrote: »
    Hi to all in Galway,

The missus and I are heading to the city of the tribes for a weekend away, starting Paddy's day for 2 nights.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a really nice restaurant in the city? We're big food lovers so anything goes, once it's nice. Oh and we've decided to splash out this weekend so price won't be a major issue (until we get home on Saturday and check the bank balance :D) once we get a very good meal.

Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I've heard good things about a place called Oscars?, is it any good?

Well son, in the past my wife and I have gone to the Spanish Arch. It has been quite a while though! It was the first organic restaurant in Galway. They seem to do two sittings rather than people coming and going. Well worth checking out (if it is still there!)

Is Bar 8 really nice food? What are their prices like? Thinking of going down there sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

All of the above are good imo and i'd like to add KC Blakes in for the city centre, and Basilico in either Oranmore or Clarinbridge for outside of the city.
    Actually, Basilico is worth taking a taxi out of the city for. It's fab fab fab!!
    Have a great weekend OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

foinse wrote: »
    Also might as well lump it all into the one thread, Anyone know of anything going on in the city on 17th and 18th? any comedy gigs or shows going on?

Forgot to add, you can have a look at www.galwayadvertiser.ie where there's a digital version of today's paper (over on the right hand side).
    Page 77 is the beginning of a supplement called "the Week" which will tell you about everything that's on next week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Is Bar 8 really nice food? What are their prices like? Thinking of going down there sometime.

Yes, the food is very good.
    Price range is probably more expensive than tamarind, cheaper than KC Blakes, the malt house or kirwans.

In my opinion its the best food in Galway, by quite a distance.

Edit:
    Artisan and Ard Bia are damned good too.
    Abalone is good but closing saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Kaybe

Cava's is good - a bit different to the norm - nice atmosphere whether you are there as part of a group or at a table for 2. Relaxed dining, but lovely food and wine. They also do cookery lessons for couples for anyone interested in that kind of thing.

Malt House - nice . Quite sedate atmosphere, but normally have good food. Very centrally located as well, so you can easily move on to a nice bar afterwards without having to bother with taxis.

Cactus Jacks - fine if you want cheap and cheerful and you don't mind have a hen night on one side of you and a stag night on the other, and you don't mind shouting at your missus across the table just to be heard. Other than that, food is fine - bog-standard tex mex fare . Certainly wouldn't recommend it to people visiting the city for a night - there are so many other lovely places to go to.

Da Roberta's in Salthill - again, depends what you're looking for , but it's another "cheap & cheerful" place (IMHO of course!) . We've gone there with the 2 small kids, and it's grand for that kind of occasion - all bright lights, pizzas and pasta's ... nothing particularly note worthy about it I would say. Definitely recommend it for family dining.

Oscars - more intimate kind of setting - darker mood lighting, and the food can be impressive to first-timers... they tend to serve the food structured very elaborately... some dishes could be nearly 1.5 foot high. Been a couple of years since I was there, but I enjoyed it any time I went, and I've not heard bad reports on it.

Twelve Hotel in Barna has a very nice restaurant upstairs - they do more casual dining in the bar area downstairs which is nice on a Sunday afternoon, reading the papers between courses. But, on Saturday night, the restaurant upstairs has lovely food.

Pullman Restaurant in Glenlo Abbey - check it out on the internet - very unusual setting - it's an old Pullman carriage (yes, I know, the name kind of gives it away!) located beside a pseudo railway station platform. The kitchen is located in the train itself, so the food does not have to be carried through the night air from the main hotel. The setting is quaint and definitely different to the norm. We've brought visitors to Galway there a couple of times and each time they've been very surprised by the setting and it lends the night out a special feeling. Food also good.

Kirwans Lane has nice food- another place that is more sedate in atmosphere, but definitely nice food.

Artisan - nearly forgot this until I read back and saw people recommending it. Really lovely - only been a couple of times, but think it has a nice atmosphere, and friendly service. I would recommend to book one of the tables in the window, as you can sit and "people watch" the crowds below you on Quay Street, while sipping on lovely wine.

Hope the above is of some use - let us know what you chose and report back what you thought of the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

+1 for Oscars, it's sex in the mouth!

Service is the kinda service that make you realise how crap everywhere else is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I'd recommend McSwiggans as well, was there recently for a birthday dinner, the duck was amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

Artisan-Expensive but excellent, in town.
    Gourmet Tart-Fantastic quality, reasonable, in Salthill.
    O Grady's-Barna, gorgeous and great atmosphere, you could linger all night!
    White Gables-Moycullen, amazing but can be expensive.

Advertisement