Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fedor v Hendo lined up for Summer

• 09-03-2011 2:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like Fedor is gonna drop down to 205, and will fight Hendo in the Summer.

I know Fedor was a small HW, but if he succesfully gets down to 205 i can see him steam rollering the division, then i guess we'll be back to square 1 again with the likes of "So then Dana, when are you gonna sign up Fedor"

As much as i like Hendo i can't see this ending well for him

STORY

Dan Henderson says he'll give it one more go early this summer before taking time off to be with his family.

Then it's back to the gym in the fall and a possible fight at the end of the year, if all goes well.

Who's next on his list? Henderson today told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio) that a fight with the winner of Gegard Mousasi vs. Mike Kyle is logical. But the new champ said he's also open to a future meeting with his favorite fighter, Fedor Emelianenko.

"Obviously, he's still one of the top guys out there in the world, and it would be a huge challenge," Henderson said. "It would interest me to go up."

The superfight popped onto the radar almost immediately after Henderson (27-8 MMA, 2-1 SF) demolished Rafael "Feijao" Cavalcante with a flurry of punches this past Saturday at "Strikeforce: Feijao vs. Henderson" to become the promotion's new light heavyweight champion.

Henderson said that while his first priority is defending his new belt, he's open to fighting at middleweight or heavyweight if the right opportunity is presented.

Emelianenko could present just such an opportunity should Strikeforce be interested in making the superfight. The former PRIDE heavyweight champ appears to have put retirement on hold following a loss to Antonio Silva this past month in the first round of the promotion's heavyweight grand prix, and there's a possibility he may re-enter the competition as an alternate, according to Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker.

It's been nine years since Henderson took a fight with a bigger man. At PRIDE 24, he was submitted by heavyweight Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira in a rematch of a February 2000 bout which he won by decision en route to clinching the open-weight Rings King of Kings tournament.

Henderson cornered his former Team Quest teammate Matt Lindland when Lindland went up in weight in April 2007 to fight Emelianenko in the now-defunct BodogFIGHT promotion. Emelianenko won by armbar in the first round.

At this point, though, a Henderson vs. Emelianeko fight is purely speculative. If Henderson returns in June, the frontrunner to fight him is the winner of Mousasi vs. Kyle, which takes place next month in San Diego at "Strikeforce: Diaz vs. Daley."

"That would probably make the most sense," Henderson said.

The second quarterfinal event of Strikeforce's heavyweight grand prix is slated for June 18 in Dallas.

Meanwhile, "Hendo" has added another belt to his mantle.

"It's got to be right up there at the top," Henderson said of his recent accomplishment. "The most recent, which always feels the best to you. But it had a lot of added pleasure, I should say, knowing that I'm 40 and can still compete at the top level. That definitely means a lot."

LINKY : http://mmajunkie.com/news/22757/strikeforce-champ-henderson-anticipates-summer-return-interested-in-emelianenko.mma

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Fedor Emelianenko could challenged for the Strikeforce light-heavyweight title this year.

Sources close to the Russian say he is giving serious consideration to the prospect of fighting newly crowned Dan Henderson at 205 pounds.

The prospect of the fight was put to him by Strikeforce before the weekend’s Henderson/Feijao showdown, which Henderson won by third round KO.

Fedor was last in action when he lost his January 29th fight with Antonio ‘Bigfoot’ Silva, being knocked out of the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix in the first round.

That was his second defeat in a row and only the second legitimate defeat of his long career. Prior to that he had been submitted by Fabricio Werdum

Fedor is small for a heavyweight and fans have long wanted to see him move down to light-heavyweight, especially since he began fighting in the US, where big weight-cuts are the order of the day.

Silva was far bigger and heavier than Fedor in their January fight. He gave the former PRIDE champion all sorts of problems before the fight was stopped in the interval before the third round on doctor’s order’s/

In terms of height and frame, there isn’t a huge difference between fight-night Fedor and a light-heavyweight Dan Henderson. A fight between the pair would solve a nice dilemma for Strikeforce as they don’t really have solid opponents available for either man at the moment.

Negotiations are underway and - if past experience is anything to go by - are likely to go on for some time. But the fight is of interest to all parties and is likely to happen later this year.

LINKY : http://www.fightersonlymagazine.co.uk/news/viewarticle.php?id=6383

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

Fedor fought at about 220 in HW yeah? Not a huge drop if he did, he'll probably steamroller most of the LHW fighters on the planet.
    If Dana does sign Fedor, could see him stay at LH and build up a fight between him and Silva at 205.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Iron Hide wrote: »
    Fedor fought at about 220 in HW yeah?

He's weighed in around 230 most of the time. He's never been a ripped 230 but lately he's looked to have less muscle and more fat. So he'd make 205 easily enough with a diet and a cut for the last few lbs.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

What weight was he when he fought Lindland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

I'll believe it when i see it with regards to fedor cutting weight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

As much as I'd like to see this fight happen, it isn't logical to have a fighter two losses in a row drop down to a weight he's never been before for a title fight?? :confused: Am I the only person who thinks that it is a bit bonkers! I kind of feel like the Strikeforce titles are a bit of a joke ever since Alistair Overeem beat Buentello and disappeared for 2 years. Then he defends the belt against Rogers who just lost :confused: again confusing.

I can understand why nick diaz, gilbert and jacare have their belts, they have defended their belts against very good competition. I am anything but a UFC nuthugger but I feel as though the UFC titles are more legitimate in terms of rankings.

Now Fedor vs Hendo for the title could more than likely blow back in Coker's face because he is dealing with a fighter who has no past record of fighting at 205. I would love to see Hendo go down and fight Tim Kennedy for a first contender spot against Jacare. But you gotta bring in the money and people are going to watch Fedor fight win or lose. I think Fedor should stay at heavyweight and fight Shane del Rosario, give Shane a chance to shine against the former best heavyweight fighter.

As much as I'd like to see this fight happen, it isn't logical to have a fighter two losses in a row drop down to a weight he's never been before for a title fight?? :confused: Am I the only person who thinks that it is a bit bonkers! I kind of feel like the Strikeforce titles are a bit of a joke ever since Alistair Overeem beat Buentello and disappeared for 2 years. Then he defends the belt against Rogers who just lost :confused: again confusing.

I can understand why nick diaz, gilbert and jacare have their belts, they have defended their belts against very good competition. I am anything but a UFC nuthugger but I feel as though the UFC titles are more legitimate in terms of rankings.

Now Fedor vs Hendo for the title could more than likely blow back in Coker's face because he is dealing with a fighter who has no past record of fighting at 205. I would love to see Hendo go down and fight Tim Kennedy for a first contender spot against Jacare. But you gotta bring in the money and people are going to watch Fedor fight win or lose. I think Fedor should stay at heavyweight and fight Shane del Rosario, give Shane a chance to shine against the former best heavyweight fighter.

Agree with all of that, but from what i read Hendo wants one more fight this year before taking a long break to be with his family, if this is the case then i'm sure Strikeforce will push for a Hendo/Fedor fight, the revenue it'd bring in for them will be 3/4 times as much as they'd get if from any other Hendo fight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

I dont care a bout the logical arguements I'm pysched for that fight

Fedor should have made the drop ages ago. Far too small for heavyweight IMO

Both these guys are favourites of mine. Would like to see what Fedor could do if he was sent to a strong camp like Jackson's

Only thing is he's getting a bit long in the tooth and some of the mystique is now gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

And if Hendo wins, they'll cut off Fedor's leg and have him fight Jacare!

SF will pretty much do anything at this stage to make Fedor a Champion. They've put so much money into him that they really want to be able to sell him as the unbeatable The Last Emperor again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

It'd be interesting to see him fight at 205.
    I never thought he'd consider making the drop but getting smothered under a 290lb brazilian BJJ blackbelt is enough to make anyone consider their options.
    I've also read that Fedor is going to be training with Vinny magalhaes in the near future.
    That would be a huge benefit to him imo & is the quality of submission wrestler he should have been training with all along. Better late than never.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The problem is he was beating guys at HW, so he never happened
    He would of 100% be in the UFC now if he was 205 all along

Mellor wrote: »
    The problem is he was beating guys at HW, so he never happened
    He would of 100% be in the UFC now if he was 205 all along

And were it not for the whole cross-promotion thing his handlers want and the UFC 9rightfully so) refuse to give!

MrStuffins wrote: »
    And were it not for the whole cross-promotion thing his handlers want and the UFC 9rightfully so) refuse to give!

M-1 are deluded if they think Zuffa will co-promote with them.

I can see Fedor brought in by Dana primarily because he's past his prime and Dana can try feed him to some of the better guys to try boost his ego.

I can see Fedor brought in by Dana primarily because he's past his prime and Dana can try feed him to some of the better guys to try boost his ego.

I think it's out of the question now. M1 were apparently asking for close to $1m per fight.The Invincible Fedor wasn't worth that!

Now, Strikeforce are apparenlty paying him $400k a fight before any kind of bonus!

If his handlers look for even half of that kinda money now for a Fedor who has lost his mystique, they'll be told where to go!

I would of agreed with you.
    But it seems we were both wrong.
    Zuffa and M-1 now co-promoting Fedor's fights :eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

If Fedor actually makes 205, it will be interesting but I do see Hendo giving him a nice welcome to the division. He will prevent the takedowns, will be able to take all Fedor's punches and beat him for a few rounds before finishing him off with the help from his right hand.

As much as I don't want to be falling into the cliche of Fedor bashing now that he lost twice. I'd love it if Hendo knocked him out simply because nobody has yet. I also rather he had a fight at 205 before the hendo fight. Just so he doesn't go 3 in a row, gets to test 205 etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

unknown13 wrote: »
    If Fedor actually makes 205, it will be interesting but I do see Hendo giving him a nice welcome to the division. He will prevent the takedowns, will be able to take all Fedor's punches and beat him for a few rounds before finishing him off with the help from his right hand.

Standing yes, but I don't think even Hendo's iron chin could take much of Fedor's GnP if it ever went to the ground, which I believe it would.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Bodie Broadus

fedor has many more years ahead of him if he chooses to continue! he's only 34 which is one year younger than anderson silva and you wont find many men calling for him to retire! if fedor drops i cant see a single lhw beating him but there would be some amazing fights!

• Advertisement

SanoVitae wrote: »
    Standing yes, but I don't think even Hendo's iron chin could take much of Fedor's GnP if it ever went to the ground, which I believe it would.

Did you not see the part before you put the sentence in bold. Hendo isn't getting taken to the ground.

I can see this fight happening even more so after the takeover, i'm thinking Dana will want Fedor to be his SF 205 champ, he'll treat him well and with total respect, then when Zuffa wind down SF, which i think they will in 12 months or so, he'll welcome Fedor wit open arms to UFC.

If Fedor is to drop to 205, I find it hard to give him an immediate top 5 ranking. Shogun, Machida, Forrest, Rampage & Evans would all give him big problems. Not to mention Jon Jones is ranked sixth at the moment.

He won't get ranked before he fights. He's have to fight a top ten guy to get ranked.
    So it really depends on how he does in that fight. If he dominates, he'll have earned a top 5 ranking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jayo_M

Did you not see the part before you put the sentence in bold. Hendo isn't getting taken to the ground.

Hendo has average enough defensive wrestling, in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

He wouldn't get taken to the ground simply because you say so? :D

I'd put good money on Fedor taking him down once they clinched - Sambo expertise aside, he'd be a lot stronger than Dan even at a lighter weight than normal.

Advertisement