Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how you seen the state of the new dail

• 09-03-2011 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

oh sweet holy devine .. have you seen the newly elected independent TD speaking in the dail ... i hope to jaysus that the IMF are not watching this have you seen the state of Mick Wallace, Ming Flanaghan and Richard Boyd Barrett they look like they have been dragged backwards through a hedge.
    If the IMF watch this I reckon the interest rate will be doubled .

Someone should teach them that they need to look respectable and respect the environment that they have been elected to , A decent shirt and necktie is the minimum required as they are representing the people of this country .
    The people who voted for these people voted for change but for fecks sake wear a suit and tie these guys are standing on hallowed ground .
    Even Healy rae wore a suit ... have we just elected the biggest set of gombeen men again

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Ray Burkes Pension

They're just treating the Dail with the respect it deserves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

oh sweet holy devine .. have you seen the newly elected independent TD speaking in the dail ... i hope to jaysus that the IMF are not watching this have you seen the state of Mick Wallace, Ming Flanaghan and Richard Boyd Barrett they look like they have been dragged backwards through a hedge.
    If the IMF watch this I reckon the interest rate will be doubled .

Someone should teach them that they need to look respectable and respect the environment that they have been elected to , A decent shirt and necktie is the minimum required as they are representing the people of this country .
    The people who voted for these people voted for change but for fecks sake wear a suit and tie these guys are standing on hallowed ground .
    Even Healy rae wore a suit ... have we just elected the biggest set of gombeen men again

Wearing a suit wont solve the issues of this country!

I refute any claim that the appearance of these people is anything to do with their potential qualities.
    If anything ignoring these dail traditions is exactly what we need, we need change not more of the same louie copeland suited idiots.
    OP if suits you need im sure enda could pick up some chimps while he is in the pheonix park and put them in suits, but suits wont turn chimps into leaders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Its a part of modern business and make you at least look a bit more professional and competent wearing a suit.

Do you think for one second they'd get away with scruffyness like that in a high level position in a major public company? I don't want someone representing me if they can't even be bothered to look respectable in public while doing their job, imagine what else they are not going to bother with if a simple dress code is beyond them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Its a part of modern business and make you at least look a bit more professional and competent wearing a suit.

Do you think for one second they'd get away with scruffyness like that in a high level position in a major public company? I don't want someone representing me if they can't even be bothered to look respectable in public while doing their job, imagine what else they are not going to bother with if a simple dress code is beyond them.

"Sometimes the clothes don't make the man!"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Wearing a suit wont solve the issues of this country!

I refute any claim that the appearance of these people is anything to do with their potential qualities.
    If anything ignoring these dail traditions is exactly what we need, we need change not more of the same louie copeland suited idiots.
    OP if suits you need im sure enda could pick up some chimps while he is in the pheonix park and put them in suits, but suits wont turn chimps into leaders.
    Well said!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭damoz

Id be more concerned with the 1/2 hour it takes to make a vote - what a waste of time ! Hopefully when they talk to reforming the instutions they will reform how you can vote too. No need to leave seat.

165 voting TDs x 30 mins (and counting!) = 82.5 lost man hours.(over 2 weeks!) Criminal.

PS - i wouldnt mind if the vote was going to be close - but its not.

damoz wrote: »
    Id be more concerned with the 1/2 hour it takes to make a vote - what a waste of time ! Hopefully when they talk to reforming the instutions they will reform how you can vote too. No need to leave seat.

165 voting TDs x 30 mins = 82.5 lost man hours.(over 2 weeks!) Criminal.
    ALL the seats have electronic voting buttons on the arms on them.
    This wandering through two fences that say "Yes" & "No" in Irish, is all just symbolic (some would also say rubbish too).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭damoz

Biggins wrote: »
    ALL the seats have electronic voting buttons on the arms on them.
    This wandering through two fences that say "Yes" & "No" in Irish, is all just symbolic (some would also say rubbish too).

I would say its a complete joke and waste of time and money .... then again, it is the public sector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

FF were no doubt all wearing suits the last 14 years and we see how that worked out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭yawha

Do you think for one second they'd get away with scruffyness like that in a high level position in a major public company?
    Steve Ballmer? Steve Jobs? Mark Zuckerberg? Michael O' Leary?

All worth billions, all generally wear casual to business casual attire when appearing in public.

Wearing a suit indicates nothing about competency. The idea that it does is a stupid, outdated idea.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Where these people not elected by a populist poll?

If you choose to judge a book by its cover fine but dont try and come here and state as fact that the only good man is man in a suit.

As for international credibility, where is that gone, where the last representatives who watched our national governments credibility both internationally and domestically crumble not all wear suits?

I dont want to type a long list of failed leaders from around the world who all wore suits yet never served the people.

If european leaders are so easily fooled by suits and appearance what hope have we as a nation when all the bankers only wear the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Our international credibility is non-existent for Christ's sake. We've been bailed out by the IMF, everyone knows our political system is a failed joke, we are in hock to the IMF for a generation and more and Angela Merkel is our new leader, and you're worried because some guy from Wexford doesn't have a neck-tie on?

Why not go down to Wexford and tell everyone there who voted for Wallace that they are fools because their chosen candidate doesn't dress the way you deem acceptable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Dizraeligears

They look like real people.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭NSNO

The wearing of a suit shows respect to the Dáil. I would refuse to vote for any candidate that didn't show the Dáil the respect that it deserves. Not wearing a suit illustrates a certain casual attitude towards the Dáil and the democratic process that should not be encouraged by the electorate.

The argument that TDs should not wear suits because the bankers and Fianna Fáil wore is ludicrous. They did not fail the country because they wore suits, they failed the country because they were incompetent.

Governance is a solemn activity and should be treated as such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

yawha wrote: »
    Steve Ballmer? Steve Jobs? Mark Zuckerberg? Michael O' Leary?

All worth billions, all generally wear casual to business casual attire when appearing in public.

Wearing a suit indicates nothing about competency. The idea that it does is a stupid, outdated idea.

all well and good when you're CEO. (and all are still well dressed and neat and tidily presented) but do you think all their execs wear jeans and tshirts to board meetings too?

I work in a casual office so get the benefits of not having to wear a suit but it makes the place look amateur and scruffy IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

why does wearing a suit make you think they would do a better job, annoys the hell out of me that when i go on a customer site i have to wear a suit

thank god i can sit in the office in jeans and a t shirt

This is what we're arguing about now?!

I guess all must be well and good with the country so :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

They should be wearing suits and ties IMO

they will be running a country and need to look and act professional.

maybe they could have a casual Friday .

i will allow that:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

Donegalfella searching the web for a photo of Steve Jobs in a suit makes this thread worth it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

I don't think there's a need to wear a full suit and tie to the Dail, but an effort to look presentable is hardly too much to ask. It's not a big deal to me, but I can't help but cringe a little when I see Mick Wallace sitting there in, as a man on the radio just described it, a big pink blouse!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

What a load of old guff.
    If Mick Wallace, Luke Flanagan, RBB or any of the others not suited and booted were a member of the government, you may have a point - they're not, so you don't.

As opposed to what? The previous joke of a government who ALL wore suits?
    As for looking good with a tie, please tell us what practical purpose does a tie serve besides making one look supposedly good - and that infers a touch of vainness!

As also our country might be looking a joke? Your too late. The previous shower once again already got there and brought about that sad joke!
    The horse has already bolted from beyond the barn-yard doors!

I dont take note of anything, did these countries that did not fail do so as a result of their politicians wearing suits?

The wearing of a suit is a tradition and I say right now we are in the present state because of tradtions, traditions such as the deference society has chosen to show the rich, and the deference we as a nation have for too long shown to the offspring of civil war heroes.
    The elevated status senior bankers enjoy is a classic example of this, what makes one man a gambler and another a banker, is it that a gambler usualy risks his own money while a banker risks others?

And finally in the words of einstein
    If most of us are ashamed of shabby clothes and shoddy furniture, let us be more ashamed of shabby ideas and shoddy philosophies.... It would be a sad situation if the wrapper were better than the meat wrapped inside it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Don't worry OP, the Independents in the 31st Dáil will have next to no influence no matter how much they "band together".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭maccored

it amazes me how people are still guillible enough to fall for suit = trustworthy person. Some of the sneakiest, snakeoil salesmen around wear perfectly fitted suits. Doesnt mean you can trust them.

Showing respect to the Dáil? You do that by not being a two face lying arsehole, which isnt the kind of politician we normally get.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Mark Zuckerburg is the youngest billionaire ever and regularly attends board meetings attired in a GAP hoodie. Please enter the 21st century. The new rich make their money out of ideas and nerdy accomplishments on the internet. The age of the sleazy saville row suit is slowly dying, thankfully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

In fairness, it's one representative out of many. If half the Dail, including the taioseach were wearing pink Wexford Youth jerseys, I might be a bit worried, but not in the case of such individual eccentricity. When one sees that the National Front in France are topping the polls, that Belgium hasn't formed a government a year after the poll, and where Berlusconi's defence against underage prostitution is that the prostitute wasn't actually underage, Mick Wallace's fashon tastes are put in perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Frankly I'm sick of the PR power suit politician. Anything that moves us away from the vacuum that is PR politics is a good move in my opinion. I'd rather representatives be honest to themselves and if that means being "unpolished" then all the better. If you're a party drone with with no drive and too afraid to speak your mind then by all means let your PR advisor dress you in a dark suit, a blue shirt and a red tie and send you out to deflect any question thrown at you but I wont criticise someone for actually being themselves and giving a true representation of who they are and what the believe in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

To be fair, I attended few Oireachtas committees last year for as job I was doing and they sometimes refuse to let people in without a tie, so I think if a regular Joe going to Leinster House for a meeting needs to wear a suit and tie, the elected lot should too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

"Hallowed ground" ? You are kidding ?

If the people voted for change, guess what they are seeing, yes, change!!

You then say that "Even Healy Rae wore a suit". Case closed then, clearly!

And how sexist by not commenting on the women, none of whom are wearing ties, and some of whom have dyed their hair also!

Such a promo pic infers that he wishes to sell something or espouse an idea.

The elected TD's already have been "bought" by the people EXACTLY on the way their were/are attired.
    Please tell us you can see the important difference!

Europe won't care if we turn up there with or without a tie or suit.
    If we can pay our damn bills and contribute in other ways, helping their own European companies and banks, they'll take our money and words if we come dressed in swimming outfits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

yawha wrote: »

International politics is all about stupid outdated idea's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Do we really want more tax payers bucks spent on people looking the part? There are a number of politicians who dye their hair badly, wear hairpieces and have embarrassing combovers and all these politicians wear suits nobody complains about that. So what if someone dresses casually to the Dail. Only time will tell if they are good politicians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

If they're meant to be representing the people of the country, surely they should dress like the people of the country?

Seriously, uniforms and useless, nonsensical "procedure" and "formality" such as that is utterly useless today. We need these men and women to be in there making policy for us. Who gives a sh!te what they wear?

Honestly, even if we had men walking in wearing shorts and women wearing bikinis I honestly wouldn't give a crap. As long as they vote the way we want them to vote on legislation, that is democracy. Who sits in the seats - let alone what they wear - is irrelevant IMO. It's their actions in there which count.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The real reason most execs are so pro suit is that it makes them feel fuddy and irrelevent when they're all in a meeting where a guy is wearing a tshirt. It's gas to observe it. A suit is a reassurance "you're like me, we share values, we can work together"

If i was ming I wouldnt want to give off that message.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Let me clarify my above remark about bikinis - I'm simply saying I wouldn't have a moral or principle issue with it, provided they do their job. Their attire is utterly irrelevant in my view.

I am not implying that I would actually LIKE the idea of Joan Burton in a teeny bikini, or say John o Donoghue topless in a pair of shorts. It was a hypothetical analogy, dammit! :D

• Advertisement

...And they do that by choice - not by state directive!
    Each to their own - and if you get elected as by the way you present yourself to the world, the rest of the world should either accept it or sod off!

The people elected each and gave them the mandate to speak for them. If some out of date twat wants to just judge a book by its cover, well he or she is an idiot for they will lose out more than win an advantage in business and in friendship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Hmm. Don't think I mind them so much in the Dail without suits on.

As long as they look professional (ie, suit-wearing) when meeting other leaders, etc, I'm happy.

I think Bertie Ahern and the canary yellow outfit has already done the damage to any international perception of our fashion abilities, to be honest.

Let me clarify my above remark about bikinis - I'm simply saying I wouldn't have a moral or principle issue with it, provided they do their job. Their attire is utterly irrelevant in my view.

I am not implying that I would actually LIKE the idea of Joan Burton in a teeny bikini, or say John o Donoghue topless in a pair of shorts. It was a hypothetical analogy, dammit! :D
    * Think of Harney on a beach somewhere *
    O' the horror! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

I'd imagine Michael O'Leary is richer and more successful than you. Hilarious watching a libertarian espouse that we should conform to a social norm, 'live and let live' when it 'suits' you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

What an irrelevant thread. The likes of Wallace and Ming's manner of dress is core to their images. Who cares what they wear ?

I'd imagine Michael O'Leary is richer and more successful than you. Hilarious watching a libertarian espouse that we should conform to a social norm, 'live and let live' when it 'suits' you

He's trying to 'stitch' us up! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Donal Og O Baelach

Thats exactly what I used to say to that scrawny little fella who went to meet the Queen dressed in a sheet a few years back.

"Ghandi, for Fks Sake! Make an effort!"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

More than yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

karma_ wrote: »
    More than yours?

Don't get him started with the boasting, it's embarrassing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement