Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you wearing an Easter Lily this year?

Options
  • 09-03-2011 2:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

I have bought one for the first time this year, I have to admit I hesitated at first given I'm not a Sinn Féinner (and they seem to be the main people supporting them) but I want to wear one irrespective of political party support in the years leading up to 2016, I feel those great people died for their beliefs, ideals & Ireland's path to freedom, and at a time when Ireland is on it's knee's I think it's important to renew the Republic, to build the country we deserve, based upon the dreams of our founders and our own dreams, and no that doesn't mean a 2nd house in Bulgaria, it means looking at what our true core values are and building on them, not overpriced land!

Anyway not a political speech, just a general 'are you wearing one?'

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

where does one buy one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭muineachan

I bought one on the street, if your in the states try ebay, there are some on there, or if not try Sinn Féin's online store

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

I support Sinn Féin, but thats not why i wear one. I wear one every year, always have since i was in my early teens, im in late 20’s now. I wear it for the reasons you wish to wear it, to remember those who died and who fought for this country in 1916.

Its a gesture in remembrance, its the least we can do, hopefully in the years leading into the 100 anniversary more and more people will show an interest in the 1916 rising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭muineachan

I support Sinn Féin, but thats not why i wear one. I wear one every year, always have since i was in my early teens, im in late 20’s now. I wear it for the reasons you wish to wear it, to remember those who died and who fought for this country in 1916.

Its a gesture in remembrance, its the least we can do, hopefully in the years leading into the 100 anniversary more and more people will show an interest in the 1916 rising.

Good man (/woman), I hope more people do as well, and hope that more people recognise the Lily as a symbol of remembrance and peace rather than tar it with the brush that a few people have done in recent history.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Good God no. The calibre of person who normally wears one of these in my community...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Denerick wrote: »
    Good God no. The calibre of person who normally wears one of these in my community...

...is alot better than those who dont?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

I'm gonna get an Easter Lily if I see 'em for sale but then I'll probably wear a poppy in November too. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

Denerick wrote: »

unfortunatly the easter lily, aswell as various other emblems of Ireland, have been hijacked by the republican movement

the easter lily signifies the sacrafice given by Irishmen during the easter rising of 1916

the republican movement, namely sinn fein and the IRA (aswell as its many bastard offshoot organisations and splinter groups), use it as a symbol to commemorate all those who have died for the 'republican cause'. these 'martyrs' included terrorists, muderers and armed robbers

many decent irish patriots, like myself, will not wear the easter lily due to it being devalued and tarnished by sinn fein and its ilk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭PatsytheNazi

WilcoOut wrote: »
    unfortunatly the easter lily, aswell as various other emblems of Ireland, have been hijacked by the republican movement

the easter lily signifies the sacrafice given by Irishmen during the easter rising of 1916

the republican movement, namely sinn fein and the IRA (aswell as its many bastard offshoot organisations and splinter groups), use it as a symbol to commemorate all those who have died for the 'republican cause'. these 'martyrs' included terrorists, muderers and armed robbers

many decent irish patriots, like myself, will not wear the easter lily due to it being devalued and tarnished by sinn fein and its ilk
    Ah yes one of those " I would have been shoulder to shoulder with Collins and Connolly etc if I had been around in 1916 " brigade :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Ah yes one of those " I would have been shoulder to shoulder with Collins and Connolly etc if I had been around in 1916 " brigade :rolleyes:

So he's not allowed to have a positive view of the men of 1916 unless he subscribes to SF's view of the Troubles?

I hate that stupid rolly eyes icon. I hate it even more when it's used incorrectly. You completely invented what the other poster had said, and then scorned your misinterpretation of his words. I think he'd be far more justified in rolling his eyes at you than the other way around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Yes I will wear one this year, never wore one before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

I wont but who sells them and where does the money go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I wont

Just out of curiosity is there a reason why not ? Not that they are obligatory or anything, I am just curious to know if there is a particular reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Morlar wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity is there a reason why not ? Not that they are obligatory or anything, I am just curious to know if there is a particular reason.

I think the proclamation was a beautiful and highly progressive document. When I heard it read out in front of the GPO in december it did stir a little pride inside me. The principles of it were not put into practice by subsequent governments, priciples of equality and cherishing of all the nations children were only noticable by their absence. Therefore I dont see 1916 as the birth of our nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Always wear a nice little enamel one to honour all Irish men and women killed in battle/wars/conflict.

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I think the proclamation was a beautiful and highly progressive document. When I heard it read out in front of the GPO in december it did stir a little pride inside me. The principles of it were not put into practice by subsequent governments, priciples of equality and cherishing of all the nations children were only noticable by their absence. Therefore I dont see 1916 as the birth of our nation.

Fair enough & sorry if that seemed like an accusatory sort of question. Generally I will wear one, not religiously though. I have done for some years and some years I have not. It tends to be something I will do if I think of it at the time. Even though there are years when I don't I was just curious about people who never do and never will on principle, what their reasons for this may be and so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Felim Uallachain

Certainly not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Morlar wrote: »
    Fair enough & sorry if that seemed like an accusatory sort of question. Generally I will wear one, not religiously though. I have done for some years and some years I have not. It tends to be something I will do if I think of it at the time. Even though there are years when I don't I was just curious about people who never do and never will on principle, what their reasons for this may be and so on.
    Certainly not.

Reason ? Like morlar, not judging or coming down on one side or another, but just curious why, and also those who do, why ?

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Hope KEvin Myers is happy about all this. He claims to be the one who kick started demands in the media for Irish people to "remember" their fallen compatriots in the First World War and to face up to our heritage by wearing poppies but all he succeeded in doing was having state funerals for the disinterred skeletons of some IRA men hanged by the British in the 1920s and now a load of people saying they will wear an Easter Lilly despite not being "Shinners".

Stickies or Pinnies, guys? Or do you know the subtle difference?

I'm all for learning from the past but this "CO"memmoration bollox really pisses me off. All it is saying is that there is a received view of the past that all must adhere to.

I'll make up my own feckin mind thank you very much.

Move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Yes I will wear one this year, never wore one before.

I believe you. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I believe you. :rolleyes:
    :confused:

Why wouldn't you? I have never worn one before.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

i'll be wearing one. i normally get one in a florist. they look much better than those sh.itty paper ones sinn fein sell

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 276 ✭✭Rocky Bay

...I will be wearing mine. Have been for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Two reasons for not wearing one:

First, I think the aactions of the IRA since the War of Independence, and especially during the Troubles, has tarnished the Republican name. I don't wish to be associated, even erronerously, with those I consider to be murderers and terrorists.

Secondly, I'm pretty cold on public expressions of commemoration. Sometimes it seems that private rememberance is the lesser sort somehow. If I remember anyone or anything, I'm perfectly content to do it privately, whether it's purely through thought and reflection, or a private visit to a memorial. I understand why people wear the poppy/lily/whatever, but such public displays aren't for me. Indeed, I often think that some of those wearing such pins and badges, are motivated either by a type of herd mentality, or a desire for their own recognition, rather than genuine rememberance. The bruhaha over Dan Snow's refual to wear the poppy re-enfirced that feeling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

I wont be wearing one - though my politics is republican. I am not a Sinn Fein supporter.

Where does the money go.??

If it went towards an Irish Army Charity in the same way the British Poppy does I would not have a problem .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭red herring

Its the first time I ever heard of this lily. Why is the lily the flower of choice, is there a reason? To whom does the money generated from the sale of these lilies go to?

Einhard wrote: »

First, I think the aactions of the IRA since the War of Independence, and especially during the Troubles, has tarnished the Republican name. I don't wish to be associated, even erronerously, with those I consider to be murderers and terrorists.

OK - I have a problem with this definition.

My grandfather fought in the War of Independence and 1916 and the organisation in the troubles was not the same.

The IRA off that time morphed into the Irish Army etc and the members went back to their ordinary lives. Essentially it was disbanded.

Sinn Fein split into FF & what became FG.

Todays Sinn Fein really do not have a right to the name -yet they use it like a brand name.

It implies succession from other organisations which is not the case.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

CDfm wrote: »
    OK - I have a problem with this definition.

My grandfather fought in the War of Independence and 1916 and the organisation in the troubles was not the same.

The IRA off that time morphed into the Irish Army etc and the members went back to their ordinary lives. Essentially it was disbanded.

Sinn Fein split into FF & what became FG.

Todays Sinn Fein really do not have a right to the name -yet they use it like a brand name.

It implies succession from other organisations which is not the case.

You do know that not everyone went home after the civil war. People like Tom Barry remained in the IRA until the 1930's. As did some, ahem lads who got a bit too friendly with the Germans in the 1940's. (Russell, Ryan & McCabe are three to name a few). Other veterans that went to America formed Republican groups that were responsible for the funding of the IRA and Sinn Féin wing right up to the 1970's. Those involved with the IRA in the 1940-1950's (granted it was never the power that it was before or later in the 6 counties) had links to the 1970's movements whether political or military (eg Ruairi O'Bradaigh) It also goes right up to the 1950's, anyone remember that famous court case of Sinn Féin Funds in the 1950's?

Whilst this no way delutes what you are saying, its worth bearing in mind that it is not entirely acturate that the men of the tan war and civil war have exclusivity of the "brand".

They were splinter groups really.

When we say IRA we are talking about the "Officials" or "the Provos"

So what I am saying is that people of my grandfathers era would have said - they are not us or our successors as we disbanded and our sucessors are the Irish Army.

Similarly - the political sucessors of Sinn Fein 1918 are FF & FG .

I know that to some it may sound pedantic but Ireland became a democracy and stayed independent probably against all odds.

Other new states and democracies from that era , the Balkans went &Greece, Spain & Portugal were not democratic.

So Ireland as in the Free State and its sucessors have. Other groups calling themselves the same name were a threat to the state.

Thats what something like a national emblem should be celebrating.

And it is our heritage.

• Advertisement

Its the first time I ever heard of this lily. Why is the lily the flower of choice, is there a reason? To whom does the money generated from the sale of these lilies go to?
    It depends who you buy one off. I believe most give the money to an association which takes care of patriots graves.

Advertisement