Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunroom ceiling question

• 09-03-2011 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

Hi there,
    Our sunroom is fairly cold and the ceiling is wooden cladding.
    I noticed there is a massive draft coming through the wood joins.
    After taking out one of the lights I noticed the wood has been
    tacked straight onto the roof trusses.

A friend of mine said that build regulations for fire and safety meant that there should have been plasterboard fitted first then the cladding fixed to that.

Is that true?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 baz5291

HighWire wrote: »
    Hi there,
    Our sunroom is fairly cold and the ceiling is wooden cladding.
    I noticed there is a massive draft coming through the wood joins.
    After taking out one of the lights I noticed the wood has been
    tacked straight onto the roof trusses.

A friend of mine said that build regulations for fire and safety meant that there should have been plasterboard fitted first then the cladding fixed to that.

Is that true?

no wonder your sunroom is cold,who ever built it was cutting corners,they should of put the plasterboard first then the cladding.its not a big job to put it right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Not only that, for fire rating there should be plasterboard slab behind the timber.

afaik, plasterboard gives you around half an hour burn time.... With just timber, you can imagine how quickly fire will take hold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Can't comment of the Fire Reg's, but the OP mentions the sunroom is cold.

So if he is going to put up plasterboard, should he also pack the space with insulation, I presume its not insulated as its cold.

That way the solution should take care of the cold and the Fire Reg ??

Advertisement