Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

White dove need grit?

• 09-03-2011 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭

A wild white dove comes everyday to my parents house and eats peanuts and seeds from the hand,(if they are left on the ground the pigeons will eat them)

He has been getting feed like this for a month or so,I'm wondering since hes getting food from the hand will he suffer a lack of grit in his digestive system? or will he get it from drinking mucking water in puddles etc....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Moved from Nature and Birdwatching.

I reckon its more of a domestic situation.

Wild birds sort this out by themselves and I think it likely that this dove will do same, but perhaps some dove/pigeon keepers here can give their opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Birds are pretty clever if they need grit or sand baths etc. they will just help themselves only some pet or domesticated birds need access to grit so I wouldn't worry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

Was just curious thanks :)

Advertisement