Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a finch or other small bird

• 09-03-2011 3:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭

Hi, basically I've been thinking of getting a bird for my apartment as a bit of company.

I have been looking at Zebra finches, red factors/canaries and Budgies mostly.

I had a couple of canaries when I was young so I'm not completely new to this but that was ages ago so I have to relearn and buy a new cage etc.

Anyhow just looking for advice on which to get - I work during the day so they would be on their own a good bit so it seems to be a pair of zebra finchs is best suited to my place. Any ideas from any one else - can they be let of of the cage for instance?

also if anyone has any other suggestions it would be appreciated or knows of a good place to buy them in Dublin city...I don't drive so can't go too far and I've been looking at other sites linked on boards etc. but thought I'd ask people here directly.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Downside of smaller birds is not being able to get a cage big enough, a lot of pet shops think because the bird is small you only need a small cage but Finches and all small birds are very active and need as big a cage as possible, well an indoor aviary really. Check out zooplus.co.uk I found them the cheapest and had the most variety our tiel loves his cage, it's big so any big cage you get getting one with castors and a stand helps, you can move them from room to room to get them out of the way or if for example someones cooking and you need to move them away from a kitchen area, plus being on a stand with castors means you can move them to windows so they can look out and have something to look at all day, not in direct sunlight but at this time of year the sun isn't too strong.

Hard to know with a lot of pet shops where the birds origionally came from, who bred them and what kind of health history they have so might be an idea to seek out a responsible breeder who knows their stock. Mabey try the parrots.ie website for breeders the site covers smaller birds and non parakeets as well.

Finches are pretty delicate, haven't had them myself but if you are very careful and have plenty of perches around the room and allow them to come out of their cage in their own time so they don't panic, and make sure you have the light on and the window covered or curtains drawn to start with so they don't bang in to the window they should be fine. They're so active they would appreciate the freedom but mabey keep them in their cage for 2 weeks at first just to get used to their new cage and used to the room itself.

Since you don't drive ensure you have a way of getting to a good avian vet though, it's so distressing when a bird becomes ill and even more so when you can't get to a vet that knows what they are doing so it will help big time if you have access to an experienced vet nearby just in case.

Read up on their diet etc. and as with any bird use good quality food, don't allow them near the kitchen when there's any cooking but esp. any cooking with non-stick pans/Tefal etc. don't burn smell candles or use household sprays around them etc.

Let us know what birds you choose and post some piccies when you get them, a pair is a good idea anyway esp. if you are going to be out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭pawrick

thanks for advice, had been looking on the zooplus website alright as i saw it mentioned a few times here and I read that finches need flying room so I'd need something big.

Going to call in to another pet shop over the weekend for more advice and visit a pet supply ware house to have a look at their cages.

I'll have some pics up...once i read up some more and get more opinions.

edit - forgot to ask, does anyone have a vet they would recommend for future reference. I'm living in D4 area

Advertisement