Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quad X 4 foot topper 13.5hp electric start~ any experiences?references?

• 09-03-2011 3:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I just purchased the above machine today and wondered if anyone has one or what do they think of them? Good or bad experiences of either the model or indeed the company Quad X as never had any of their equipment before but have heard mixed reviews

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Bodacious wrote: »
    Hi,

I just purchased the above machine today and wondered if anyone has one or what do they think of them? Good or bad experiences of either the model or indeed the company Quad X as never had any of their equipment before but have heard mixed reviews

Thanks.

Medium / Heavy or extreme duty?

I was at a demo of them. They were excessively expensive. For the price of the heavy duty one (€4500), you could buy a good 60 hp tractor and a semi or even fully offset topper. I thought that it would be an awful lot of money to put into 1 machine.

Beyond that, at the demo, they showed a light duty mower from their range. It was made from very light stuff and when they mowed with it, it seemed to ride over big clumps of rushes without even cutting them - just bending them over.

I didn't have the quad at the time, but now that I have it, I don't think I'd part that kind of money - unless you have a lot of land that is inaccessible with a tractor??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

reilig wrote: »
    Medium / Heavy or extreme duty?

I was at a demo of them. They were excessively expensive. For the price of the heavy duty one (€4500), you could buy a good 60 hp tractor and a semi or even fully offset topper. I thought that it would be an awful lot of money to put into 1 machine.

Beyond that, at the demo, they showed a light duty mower from their range. It was made from very light stuff and when they mowed with it, it seemed to ride over big clumps of rushes without even cutting them - just bending them over.

I didn't have the quad at the time, but now that I have it, I don't think I'd part that kind of money - unless you have a lot of land that is inaccessible with a tractor??

+1,

Couldnt agree with you more Reilig that they are overpriced for what they are. Could buy small tractor and topper for the money they asking for them.

That being said a topper for me is the final piece of the jig saw as i use the quad for absolutely everything else, spraying, fertiliser, chain harrowing, rolling etc and get silage contractor to position round bales in chosen locations at baling time.

Model i got is the 13.5hp Medium duty wild cut €2788 plus VAT (€3373 )new but i got it privately for 1500 practically unused so took it as it was the max i was going to go on such a machine. I priced them up and down the UK and Ireland, Wessex, Logic, Portagric, swisher, chinese import flail mowers on donedeal etc and even the uk ones although better made im told are still big money when you take shipping and the sterling into it:mad:

Can get several lads round here to do topping for reasonable rates but its nice to be able to run round yourself after you've let them into a fresh piece:) Ya kinda let couple of fields build up too to justify asking a guy in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

When you got it at that price Bodacious, it was definitely worth your while.

I saw the medium duty in action at the demo and it was doing a good job.

There's nothing like being able to do the topping yourself. You can choose when to do it and how low to cut rather than waiting for someone to come to do it for you!!
    +1,

Couldnt agree with you more Reilig that they are overpriced for what they are. Could buy small tractor and topper for the money they asking for them.

That being said a topper for me is the final piece of the jig saw as i use the quad for absolutely everything else, spraying, fertiliser, chain harrowing, rolling etc and get silage contractor to position round bales in chosen locations at baling time.

Model i got is the 13.5hp Medium duty wild cut €2788 plus VAT (€3373 )new but i got it privately for 1500 practically unused so took it as it was the max i was going to go on such a machine. I priced them up and down the UK and Ireland, Wessex, Logic, Portagric, swisher, chinese import flail mowers on donedeal etc and even the uk ones although better made im told are still big money when you take shipping and the sterling into it:mad:

Can get several lads round here to do topping for reasonable rates but its nice to be able to run round yourself after you've let them into a fresh piece:) Ya kinda let couple of fields build up too to justify asking a guy in.

reilig wrote: »
    When you got it at that price Bodacious, it was definitely worth your while.

I saw the medium duty in action at the demo and it was doing a good job.

There's nothing like being able to do the topping yourself. You can choose when to do it and how low to cut rather than waiting for someone to come to do it for you!!

yeah i'm looking forward to being able do it as soon as i move them rather than letting a few build up for lad to come in. I now they wont be as economical as a tractor/topper as burning petrol in both quad and mower but i've no interest in doing any topping for anyone else but my own and i have no strong rushes left so it will be all flat land:) Bring on the Summer evenings!!

Someone must have used or own a medium duty quad x mower? Come on they any good?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dazzler88

Someone must have used or own a medium duty quad x mower? Come on they any good?:D

hope mods don't mind me resurrecting this thread.Just wondering how the medium duty mower is going for you? Im thinking of buying one,I have about 20+ acres under rushes,extreme rushes,some of them are 4ft tall in places,would this mower cut through them?Any advice on where to buy and general tips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Dazzler88 wrote: »
    hope mods don't mind me resurrecting this thread.Just wondering how the medium duty mower is going for you? Im thinking of buying one,I have about 20+ acres under rushes,extreme rushes,some of them are 4ft tall in places,would this mower cut through them?Any advice on where to buy and general tips.

I don't own one, never seen one in the flesh. But, I did see the video of it working online and I really would doubt that machine could handle a rush infestation as you describe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dazzler88

johngalway wrote: »
    I don't own one, never seen one in the flesh. But, I did see the video of it working online and I really would doubt that machine could handle a rush infestation as you describe.
    what about this baby
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR2-J9o1cEo&feature=related

it seems to be well fit for them reeds....

Dazzler88 wrote: »

Hi Dazzler,

The machine is doing the finest for me and i love it, great yoke altogether.

And i have done heavy rushes with it but you do have to raise her up a bit or she'll die on you... however its not designed to deal with heavy rushes on a regular basis and my advice would be this machine is grand and wont let you down, has same principle as a tractor topper (They struggle with heavy rushes also) but if it rush grinding you are at on a regular basis get a flail mower. Or a lad in on a tractor to hit heavy rushes - 4 weeks regrowth- spray and above machine will devour them!:D:D

Advertisement