Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3D/4D scan

Options
  • 09-03-2011 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi,
    Im thinking about getting a 3D/4D scan done.
    Has anyone had it done?
    Would anyone recommend it??

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I had it done at 24 weeks in Ultrasound Dimensions in Dunlaoghaire and it was great.. very reassuring in that you get to see all the little fingers, toes, facial features etc.. however, it does ruin the element of suprise.. I think if I was having another baby I wouldn't get it done..

We didn't want to find out the sex of our baby and the girl didn't tell us but when we got home and watched the dvd, we could clearly see that he was a boy..

I guess what I'm saying is, if you don't want to 'open your presents before Xmas' so to speak, and everything on your hospital scans looks ok, then I'd hold off.. That's just me though.. :) best of luck..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

Hi, I had one done at around 28 weeks.

It was absolutely amazing to see my baby in my belly and see what she is up to in there. I saw her sucking in the amniotic fluid which was quite funny and see her pulling faces.
    Would recommend it 100%

At the end of the day it's either a girl or boy and your going to know one day, its quite hard to miss the sex of the baby when having a 3d scan.

The manager gave me 120eu off because baby was in a strange position but I still got an excellent video and some cute photo's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭tishiewishie

Thanks alot for your replies.
    We don't want to find out the sex of the baby and wondered about this alright. I have seen pics on the internet and it looks incredibly to see the baby so clear. Will have to think about it abit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭newmammy2011

We had our anamoly scan done in ultrasound dimensions and the sonographer used the 3D scanner to take a few pics for us. She asked us if we wanted to know the sex of babies(which we didnt) and she just avoided that general area!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

We got it done at 26 weeks with our son (we already knew the sex), it looked amazingly like what he looks like and we both loved it. We are getting it done for our daughter shortly at the same relative age. When we got it done for our son we saw him playing with his umbilicle cord and those memories stayed with us knowing that he seemed happy in there. His hands looked like his daddy's hand's not mine as they looked like in the scan but otherwise it was incredibly accurate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Kbolt

hi tishiewishie,

We went to ultrasound dimensions in blackrock too, was really worth it!

at first I was on the fences but decided to go for it, really happy we did :)

Check out the video they posted on their site,
    http://ultrasound.ie/3d4dscan.html

let us know how it goes!
    xox

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Awe cuteness :D Cillian kept putting his hands over his eyes aswel.. I think the light from the scanner hurts their eyes a bit..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭mariaf24

I'm so glad i found this thread as i have a 3d scan booked (Not officially booked its with a ?) in a few weeks. I am currently 22 weeks pregnant, a public patient and there is no scan other than dating and late pregnancy scan to identify baby's position for birth. So i said id book a mid pregnacy scan.

Anyway I REALLY REALLY dont want to know the sex of the baby. I didnt find out either on my daughter and the best part was hearing 'It's a girl' at the birth. I love the mystery of pregnancy and the fun and surprise at the end. I hope i dont offend anyone, we all have different opinions :)

Anyway just reading this thread...is the sex really that obvious? The receptionist told me the sonographer would avoid that area - is that possible? And the dvd, im really doubting it now!! It would really uset me to know the sex so i wonder should i bother with it.

But my daughter and partner were really looking forward to it too :(

Any advise?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭newmammy2011

The hospital im attending also didnt offer an anamoly scan so we opted to get this done privately. It was a 2D scan tho but could check all was ok with babies. The sonographer then used a 3D scanner to take a few pics for us but this was mainly of the babies faces.
    Maybe you could opt for something like that??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

we got one done at 29 weeks in the clinic in Swords.
    http://babyscan.ie/

the girl was lovely and didnt scan anywhere near the babies legs or anything, so weve no idea still i its a boy or girl :)

its 200e for the DVD, loads of colour photos and loads of black and white photos, then you get a CD with all the digital photos on it too.

*TIP* Mothercrae have a booklet in store and in it theres a page advertising babyscan, and you get 20e off with the page, so go instore and route through some of their free booklets they hand out ;)

very reassuring to see the face formed perfectly, and the fingers, and the little fecker was sucking on his/her toes, so we know there ok too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭xXxkorixXx

i'm getting my first scan at 12 weeks 21th of april, would you say that me and my partner would be able to get a 3D/4D scan done or would be have to wait til our 2nd scan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭tishiewishie

xXxkorixXx wrote: »
    i'm getting my first scan at 12 weeks 21th of april, would you say that me and my partner would be able to get a 3D/4D scan done or would be have to wait til our 2nd scan?

No you won't be able to get a 3D/4D scan that early, most places I've checked do it from about 22, 24 weeks.

xXxkorixXx wrote: »

no point, baby is too small, and will not have enough formed features IIRC. most places recommend between 24-32 weeks give or take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭xXxkorixXx

Ok, cool thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭mariaf24

Thanks for advice, although i'm still undecided...some people have said sex is very clear, others say its avoidable but im not sure if i'll risk it. Might just go for regular 2d scan like someone suggested :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

mariaf24 wrote: »
    ...some people have said sex is very clear, others say its avoidable but im not sure if i'll risk it. Might just go for regular 2d scan like someone suggested :)

ive shown a pic of my GF's 3D scan from 29 weeks. shes due on 20th April. if you can tell if its boy/girl then post it up and i'll update after the birth :D

personally speaking i cant tell tbh.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71103427&postcount=12

Advertisement