Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone know a motorbike mechanic willing to have a look at a bike?

• 09-03-2011 3:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi lads,
    been lurking a while, done as much research as I could. Got an awful lot of help from the boards thanks.

So I got my learner permit before December and avoided the IBT but am in the process of doing a series of lessons anyway. I have picked out a couple of bikes I am interested in, but as of yet am not confident in checking one over and spotting any big flaws. I am not great with engines. yet. :)
    Anyone know of a service out there where a bike mechanic would come check out a bike with me, or anyone who is handy enough and knows their bikes willing to give me a hand for the hour it might take some evening? I would obviously cover your transport costs and the time put in. Don't want to end up with a lemon!

Thanks lads, looking forward to hanging round once i finally get on two wheels.

Looking at bikes in the Dublin area by the way. PM me we can figure something out. Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Anybody helping ya out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 shaner123

Hey Seany,
    thanks for the concern! I didn't have any response from the lads here on this forum until one friendly lad who is a moderator over at another global motorbike forum offered his help when I found a bike I wanted to look at and suggested I join up over there as well.

Since then I have had a couple more lessons, and I managed to pick up all the gear, a lot of it fairly cheaply at the bike show in the RDS. I am still not sure what type of bike I should get, but have been steered away from the cruisers by lads I know who say I will enjoy biking more on a different machine.

So I have decided the best thing for me realistically is to stay away from the classifieds for the moment and pick up my first bike from a bike shop so I have a bit of support with the purchase and won't hopefully go too far wrong. I did see a nice bandit 600 restricted at a reasonable price, and it might be something like that I eventually pick up.

Good lookin' out by the way, I appreciate the help man. Everyone has to start somewhere! Enjoy your weekend.
    shaner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Nice one. Was reading on global about some young fella who bought a hape. Of a bike and one of the lads over there is helping him out.
    Glad ya got sorts anyways. Enjoy whatever you go for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34 YCHGTBOY

Anyone needing help/advice re: bikes ...mechanical or electrical....

or...otherwise.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

shaner123 wrote: »
    I am still not sure what type of bike I should get, but have been steered away from the cruisers by lads I know who say I will enjoy biking more on a different machine.

get yourself down to Bikeworld and see what tyoe of bike you're comfortable on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

You can buy my bandit. Then I have an excuse to buy another bike :D

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

if you fancy learnin about do it yourself maintenance on a bike you could buy a non-runner and fix it up... bike would be dirt cheap and with a bit of luck the gamble would pay off and you will turn out with a savage bike.

the bike i bought had been sitting up for over a year and needed new fuel/fuel line/air filter/plugs/carbs cleaned and fixed/coolant flush/brake lines/tyres/battery/damned good clean and most of it i did myself with some helpful guidance.

if i was more experienced i would offer to go look at bikes with you but unless you buy a Super Four i know nothing! ... if you go look at a super four i'd be happy to spin over a take a look if it's anywere near northside of dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 skippergonzo

forget bike shops that'll cost a fortune for a first bike you will drop crash (maybe) etc
    theres loads of help available and lots of cheap bikes on donedeal
    the lads on global are great and will assist you
    or on irishbikerforum.com if i'm around i'll help you out i've bought a lot of bikes

Advertisement