Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway city/Renmore

Options
  • 09-03-2011 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi
    Just wondering is there a walkway along the rail line from renmore to the city? If so where do you get to it?
    Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Come out of Duggans Shop. Turn Right. Go straight down that road passing Molloys Shop. The Army Barracks is at the end of the road. Just before the Army Barracks there is a small church on the Right Hand Side. The pathway that goes along beside the railway line starts directly after the church.

I would not be bothered about walking this stretch but it is an isolated place and people have been attacked along there and in one case a girl was abducted there and murdered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

not a place to walk alone to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 45,500 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Fantastic shortcut but not recommended if alone at night to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

sgthighway wrote: »
    Come out of Duggans Shop. Turn Right. Go straight down that road passing Molloys Shop. The Army Barracks is at the end of the road. Just before the Army Barracks there is a small church on the Right Hand Side. The pathway that goes along beside the railway line starts directly after the church.
    You can also get there from the train station. The start is visible here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭fatguy2k1

in one case a girl was abducted there and murdered.
    no. the guy met her in molloys shop and told her he knew a shortcut into town. he walked her down near the line (the marsh land in front of the dept. of defence) but they were never on the line.

i've walked the line loads of times, since i was a kid and never encountered any trouble. it's well lit up at night so i find it grand to walk.

• Advertisement

Regardless of how safe people think it is, there was someone murdered in or around that area, so it would probably be in Boards.ie's best interest if it was made clear that it is advisable you walk with a group of people and not veering out of the well-lit areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I've walked there too a few times. In fairness it's pretty creepy at night.
    Guess during mornings and afternoons lots of Remorians? use it to get to/from work

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Placebo Effect

It is absolutely fine during the day time, I 've walked it many many times in the dark as well and never had any bother, but its is isolated so it's probably not advisable late at night.

The poor girl who was murdered was very much an isolated incident but does show that if due care is not taken there are risks involved.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

She was murdered in the daytime though.

It was an isolated case but still I don't think I'd walk it alone anymore. We used to cycle it as kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I would not be bothered about walking this stretch but it is an isolated place and people have been attacked along there and in one case a girl was abducted there and murdered.
    fatguy2k1 wrote: »
    no. the guy met her in molloys shop and told her he knew a shortcut into town. he walked her down near the line (the marsh land in front of the dept. of defence) but they were never on the line.

i've walked the line loads of times, since i was a kid and never encountered any trouble. it's well lit up at night so i find it grand to walk.

Apologies. I was mistaken on the exact history of the incident. I didn't mean to speculate. It was wrong of me to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Placebo Effect

Das Kitty wrote: »
    She was murdered in the daytime though.

It was an isolated case but still I don't think I'd walk it alone anymore. We used to cycle it as kids.

Are you sure of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I think was during the evening (8 October 2007).

More info here, it's not a nice read.
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/riedo-killers-rape-victim-surprised-to-be-alive-419442.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭fatguy2k1

biko wrote: »
    I've walked there too a few times. In fairness it's pretty creepy at night.
    Guess during mornings and afternoons lots of Remorians? use it to get to/from work
    yeah, always full of school kids/workers from 8-9am and again from 4pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Personally I wouldn't walk that route on my own at any time day or night
    There were several incidents of assaults / alleged rapes there while I was in college in Galway years ago
    To such an extent the Student Union warned us to not use that route at night and to always travel in groups!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

fatguy2k1 wrote: »

First I've heard of those details.

I haven't walked the line for a couple of years. Used to plenty years ago, before the fence between the path and the tracks went up (at least then you could run away down into Dún Uí Mhaoiliosa if necessary). I'd have no problem during the day if I was with people, but otherwise I'd be reluctant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

First I've heard of those details.
    I've heard that same version. There is a spot on the line where some people climb over the wall as a shortcut as they don't want to walk all the way to the barracks to get onto the start of it.

I walk the line nearly every day by myself and have never had any problems. I wouldn't do it after dark though, because it wouldn't be as busy and it is pretty enclosed if you were to get into trouble.

Most of the attacks and rapes people are mentioning were actually on the "black path" which goes around the water by the cinema and the Huntsman. I would certainly avoid that area at night because despite being close to residences it has a certain remoteness about it.

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    I've heard that same version. There is a spot on the line where some people climb over the wall as a shortcut as they don't want to walk all the way to the barracks to get onto the start of it.

I walk the line nearly every day by myself and have never had any problems. I wouldn't do it after dark though, because it wouldn't be as busy and it is pretty enclosed if you were to get into trouble.

Most of the attacks and rapes people are mentioning were actually on the "black path" which goes around the water by the cinema and the Huntsman. I would certainly avoid that area at night because despite being close to residences it has a certain remoteness about it.

They have made a huge effort in recent years to make that path a lot safer - there's pretty adequate lighting along the path and they do keep the grass cut short but it still is advisable to not walk there alone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

biko wrote: »

I had to do a double take there and read that twice.

For a moment I thought you said lots of Romanians use it to get to/from work. Shuur maybe they do too and good luck to them.

As for walking the line (as the shortcut is known), It's a handy shortcut during daylight hours and you are more likely to encounter hassle from drunken morons in Eyre Square than you are there.

However I would have serious reservations about recommending it at night. I certainly wouldn't do it alone (and as a reasonably fit mid 30s male of 6 foot 1, I think I'd be able to handle myself in most cases).

But the reputation of The Line is enough to put me off.

Get the bus at night, or a cab. If only for peace of mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Spent six months as a night porter in town and walked every night, well 5-6 nights a week at 10:30pm or so

Pitch black at the Renmore side and you would hear someone long before you see them

Never had an issue, never felt unsafe

The only hassle I ever had was kids knacker drinking up by the Radisson helipad and then you can just ignore them

That's easily a few hundred walks at night there but having said all that, a person could walk on their own for their first time and something may happen.
    So while I never felt unsafe I'm not saying it's a good idea to do what I did

Advertisement