Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surfing late April for a month

Options
  • 09-03-2011 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

I’m a beginner surfer looking for a beach break (no reefs/coral yet) anywhere in the world. I plan to go 25th Apr – 20th May. I haven’t had a holiday for 2 years so budget is not really a restriction. I’m looking for somewhere not really developed, backpacker ish areas??. Not in Europe.

I want somewhere really warm (boardshorts + rashie) with a nice beach to chill out on, (maybe where your accommodation is on the beach and you can just pop in and out during the day).

I was thinking Indo, not Bali as I’ve been to Kuta (my worst nightmare in terms of tourist/package destination). I’ve also been to Costa Rica.

Any suggests would be welcome. The Perthenians in Malaysia or the Gille Islands have everything I want except the sandy bottom surfing!

All suggestion welcome especially from places people here have been too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Low Pockets

Mexico

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Sport101

Tofo Beach Mozambique (if you don't mind malaria tablets and sharks) or Sri Lanka.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Freddie2008

Thanks for the replies. I've also been to Sri Lanka. Anyone recommend anywhere else, wouldn't really be into surfing with the sharks either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Heading back to a place that your familar is always a good option, makes you far more comfortable in the water

So would reconsider Costa Rica and sign up for a months long tuition;)

Everytime i went to Peru I had my own guide and he was happy to give lessons in the water, fantastic trip with the added bonus of been shown the best place to take off on each wave:D:D:D

Rodento I did think of that ie going back to CR but there's so many places out there I don't want to double back yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

What about new zeland?

Spacehopper I don't think New Zealand would have the warm water beaches etc to just surf in board shorts + rashie. I could be completely wrong here but would the temps etc not be the same as Ireland. I'm really looking to go somewhere really warm

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

Morocco is your man otherwise a road trip through southern California.

Best option if budget is a little more open would be Hawaii for a couple of weeks, so many nice easy breaks, especially on the south shore, then road trip of Southern California as above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

For consistency i'd go somewhere on the pacific, like central america

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Launcher

Brazil is well worth investigating - the whole coast is one long beach break

Florainopolis down in the south will probably require a 3:2 around May, but there are a number of different breaks. Alternatively Itacare further up north is a really good spot and is boardies all the way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

It has to be Hawaii. :)

FlashD have you been? Beach break for beginner?? Has anyone here been to Indo (besides Bali) or to the Philippines or the island off it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Hey Freddie, I haven't been to Hawaii, it's just one of those 'top of my list' places that I want to surf. I'm hoping to go in the next year on my way home from Korea.

From speaking to other surfers on my travels who have been I don't think you would have a problem finding a beginner break, there is something there for everyone, it is only the heavy stuff that gets all the coverage.

I have been to the Philippiness though only about two weeks ago, I had planned to surf, unfortunately the conditions weren't favourable, too much onshore wind which is common this time of year so I ended up exploring elsewhere.

I think conditons are similar for April when it starts to move more into their rainy season. Aug-Nov is the best time apparently for Siargio Island but sometimes you could be waiting quite a while for waves.

On the plus sides it is very very cheap and there are lots of other activities if you aren't hellbent on waves, beautiful diving and snorkling, hiking, kiteboarding etc. It's also a very beautiful country with friendly people.

If I only wanted to surf I'd go with Hawaii. :)

Hey FlashD thanks for the reply & info.

I'm not hell bent on surfing. Its just I really like South East Asia been to Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Bali & the Gilles, Sri Lanka (Costa Rica).

I'm into the backpacker/flash packer areas. I'd like to spend most of the holiday on the beach/in the water and even though I've only surfed a few times I really enjoy it.

But having a nice white sandy beach, really warm weather and not to be in a resort is probably more important to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭starfish12

Check out Batu Karas in Java.....pretty quiet so might not be flashpacker, but amazing off the beaten track spot and sandy bottom surf!

Hi Starfish12,

I was actually looking at Batu Karas in a Lonely Planet yesterday. Is all that area black sand? Flash packer wouldn’t be a big deal at all. Are there places where you can watch a DVD get a beer in the evening, get some lessons during the day. I’ll be travelling solo.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭starfish12

We stayed here

http://www.javacovebeachhotel.com/

Its a very quiet spot, everything shuts up at 8pm or so, not sure if it would be brilliant if travelling solo, it was generally locals surfing, nowhere really for lessons, we had our own boards with us & just headed out.
    Pangandaran isnt too far away, there were people taking lessons there, but it wasn't that enjoyable to be honest

Advertisement