Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drawing Software

Options
  • 09-03-2011 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

Hi all, Just Interested in what software people are using for Mechanical Design.

Personally I use AutoCad 2010 for 2D and Inventor 2010 for 3D.

However I have seen allot of companies requesting experience in Pro-E and was wondering what was the most common.

It seems to me now too that companies value experience in their chosen drawing package over experience in their industry sector. Mainly due to the cost of re-training someone I think.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

Ive used AutoCAD, ProE, Solidworks and NX. I prefer Solidworks for small projects and ProE for large projects. Solidworks is quicker but its slow on large assemblies, ProE is a lot faster on large assemblies but its slow to render. AutoCAD is my favourite for 2d drawings. Mostly Ive used Solidworks in work.
    Ive also noticed that companies prefer experience on a certain CAD package to experience in a certain industry to a certain extent. It galls me because all the CAD packages Ive used are similar enough, if you can learn how to use one you can learn how to use any but industrial experience in any given sector is much harder to acquire.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

CATIAV5 for both. Its like the super-charged big brother of solidworks, more expensive and more functional. Slightly different approach in that it is really all about surface based modelling.

If you are dealing with "Class A" surfaces, then you really need a surface modeller.

Advertisement