Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hyperspin, finally done.

Options
  • 09-03-2011 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,875 ✭✭✭

Well at last, I finally finished setting up the software side of things for my yet to be built/bought arcade cab. I decided to use hyperspin after testing out all the different front ends over the years. It requires better hardware to run but is worth it I think.

I'm very fussy about things getting setup perfectly so it was a real pain to get all the emulators/games/preview vids/artwork and fancy effects running just as I wanted them to run.

I have over 60 systems running on it now with all the artwork and preview vids for all games on each system. It looks great but is a huge monster weighing in at just under 2TB in size, and as I put so much work into it I have it mirrored on another 2TB drive, just in case.

Has anyone else decided to use hyperspin or planning to use it as their front end of choice?

If anyone needs a hand or advice with anything let me know. I'm not an expert on it but have a fairly good knowledge of it and have had loads of little problems that I eventually resolved.

Anyway, let me know, the offer is there.

Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I have it running on my cab. Without a doubt the best frontend if you have the grunt to run it, & when combined with an emumovies account, it makes for a very, very cool frontend.

All the game themes & preview videos are an absolute must. Good choice though :cool: I also find it's very stable, I've never had a simgle issue or hiccup with it. Like youself, it can be trying & painstaking setting it all up, but the end result makes all the tears well worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,875 ✭✭✭Steve X2

EnterNow wrote: »
    I have it running on my cab. Without a doubt the best frontend if you have the grunt to run it, & when combined with an emumovies account, it makes for a very, very cool frontend.

All the game themes & preview videos are an absolute must. Good choice though :cool: I also find it's very stable, I've never had a simgle issue or hiccup with it. Like youself, it can be trying & painstaking setting it all up, but the end result makes all the tears well worth it!

Yeah, emumovies is a must all right and money well spent. Plus they have a new version of hyperspin coming out soon I think with lots of nice new features.

Steve SI wrote: »
    Yeah, emumovies is a must all right and money well spent. Plus they have a new version of hyperspin coming out soon I think with lots of nice new features.

Ooh really? There goes the summer!

Ooh really? There goes the summer!

Ha yeah, better vertical support(as in having it) is one of the new features that a lot of people seem happy about.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I might take a look at this as maximus arcade wont launch sunset riders for me still! Does it have the option to open other apps, eg a jukebox.

• Advertisement

Steve SI wrote: »
    Ha yeah, better vertical support(as in having it) is one of the new features that a lot of people seem happy about.

Support for vertical crt's? Cool...stuff like 19XX etc runs very well on the normal orientation too.

keithgeo wrote: »
    I might take a look at this as maximus arcade wont launch sunset riders for me still! Does it have the option to open other apps, eg a jukebox.
    Sure, some people use it as a media front end so have it open vlc for movies etc.

I looked at it briefly before when i started out doing this, i might take another look at it. I dont like all the flashy skins and stuff i just want something simple though, thats why i passed on it the first time.

Also, I just tried sunset riders and it loads up fine.

yeh dont get me started on that, works fine from mame, just not from my frontend. the 2 player version.

Enternow: I tried what you said previously on the other thread, Couldnt find a file with the list like you mentioned for Max Arcade.

• Advertisement

yeh dont get me started on that, works fine from mame, just not from my frontend. the 2 player version.

Enternow: I tried what you said previously on the other thread, Couldnt find a file with the list like you mentioned for Max Arcade.

Bizarre that, especially as you specifically added the 2p version to a seperate genre (favourites). There has to be a config file or an xml file somwhere in the maximus installation directory where you can manually change what game loads...

ah sorry, xml file, yeh found that, no straight forward list though. went through it. multiple references to different games, it was all over the place though , like if you open a dll or exe file with notepad so i wasnt sure if that was the one you where talking about. squares and lines in between the names of the games. i changed some of the ssriders ones around after i backed up my other one but it didnt make a difference so i figured it wasnt the right file.

eg i changed ssriders(4player that works) to ssriderseeb or whatever the 2player is called, still didnt open.

Ill have a look at hyperspin again and see if that opens them. the thoughts of setting that up from scratch though..

ah sorry, xml file, yeh found that, no straight forward list though. went through it. multiple references to different games, it was all over the place though , like if you open a dll or exe file with notepad so i wasnt sure if that was the one you where talking about. squares and lines in between the names of the games. i changed some of the ssriders ones around after i backed up my other one but it didnt make a difference so i figured it wasnt the right file.

eg i changed ssriders(4player that works) to ssriderseeb or whatever the 2player is called, still didnt open.

Ill have a look at hyperspin again and see if that opens them. the thoughts of setting that up from scratch though..

Download a freeware xml editor, should display it in legible form then.

Try open with notepad++ http://www.filehippo.com/download_notepad/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I was considering using Hyperspin in my Ikea Cab but for two important facts...
    1- Hyperspin lacked a vertical option, and that was the kind of cab I was going for.
    2- Hyperspin is a total resource hog, and my crappy Dell C600 wouldn't even try to run it without chugging, even with everything off.
    Now I'm sure it's a bright and spangly front end, but I'm quite happy with Mala and the more functional nature of it, plus I was up and running with it in a relatively short space of time.

If I do build another system, I will use a more up to date PC as the foundation and will be sure to use a front end that is more, well, fun like Hyperspin.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I was considering using Hyperspin in my Ikea Cab but for two important facts...
    1- Hyperspin lacked a vertical option, and that was the kind of cab I was going for.
    2- Hyperspin is a total resource hog, and my crappy Dell C600 wouldn't even try to run it without chugging, even with everything off.
    Now I'm sure it's a bright and spangly front end, but I'm quite happy with Mala and the more functional nature of it, plus I was up and running with it in a relatively short space of time.

If I do build another system, I will use a more up to date PC as the foundation and will be sure to use a front end that is more, well, fun like Hyperspin.
    Yeah, it really is a hog alright. I think you made the right choice with Mala for a lower end machine. I mean I setup hyperspin on my normal desktop which is a ultra small form pc with ok specs(3.16ghz core duo,8gb ram) and it ran ok but was still a little sluggish at times. The PC that I'm using for the cab is a lot higher spec so will be fine(especially as it will be running only the frontend and no extra windows stuff). I'm sure the purists will hate my setup but it's a samsung 27 inch LCD running at 1080p. I'm using filters in the emulators to create nice looking scanlines and I will probably use a widescreen in the cab as well that can be rotated so vertical games will look the part. I'm going to be running more than just MAME on this thing so the LCD fits with what I want for a display.

ah here i think ill stick with max arcade haha, im running a highspec pc myself but it doesnt have 8gig of ram in it and if yours was sluggish then my 4gigs will crawl! Im really starting to regret building this thing to be honest, if i was doing it again id just buy a proper arcade cab. I can see myself getting one in the next 6months anyways.

ah here i think ill stick with max arcade haha, im running a highspec pc myself but it doesnt have 8gig of ram in it and if yours was sluggish then my 4gigs will crawl! Im really starting to regret building this thing to be honest, if i was doing it again id just buy a proper arcade cab. I can see myself getting one in the next 6months anyways.

I've a core2duo running @ 2.6ghz & 4GB ram in the cab...runs sweet as a pie, no slowdown whatsoever.

Mines a Core2Duo too.. mind change again haha, maybe i WILL give it a look...

Mines a Core2Duo too.. mind change again haha, maybe i WILL give it a look...

Do, it's well worth it. It's not as process intensive as it's made out to be. It is a hog, but anything with reasonable specs will run it fine.

• Advertisement

Ill check it out again at the weekend, the problem with setting these things up is you sit down for half an hour and five hours later your still at it!

Ill check it out again at the weekend, the problem with setting these things up is you sit down for half an hour and five hours later your still at it!

Tell me about it, I started my mame cab...and finished it in a different year :o:p

I know that feeling. I think I spent a month on and off creating and cleaning up artwork for it alone before I even started on the frontend.

Tell me about it, I started my mame cab...and finished it in a different year :o:p

I started this in October and im still going!

I started this in October and im still going!

6 months? Pah, you've only just begun! :D

I keep saying ill be done by next month.. but that never seems to work out!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

What a bunch of slackers, mine took a week or so!
    But then, I was a lazy git and took the lowest impact pathway to Mame madness!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    What a bunch of slackers, mine took a week or so!
    But then, I was a lazy git and took the lowest impact pathway to Mame madness!

Yeah a week in the comfort of your living room. Try set up a pc to output 15Khz in your house on your plasma (which it won't, but you need to do it anyway)...then transplant the whole pc out, fit it into a cab & hope it works.

In typical fashion, I picked up a cheap 15" pc crt AFTER I had the cab done :rolleyes:

It's a different world when you move away from lcd's/pc screens.

Keith, your more than welcome to have a gander at hyperspin running on my cab, with the game themes & preview videos etc.

• Advertisement

Cheers, that would be cool , see what the proper end product is supposed to look like! Sure ill take a look when im getting those gamegears, niceone.

Advertisement