Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hyperspin, finally done.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

yeah was going to try hyperspin myself about 3 years ago.
    You think you guys are bad, I am running a pentium 3 with 512 ram.
    It runs most things to be honest.
    I am running maximus as it was just so easy to set up all the emu's I wanted.

Can I ask does the dual core setup with 4gb's run tekken etc.
    Cheers.

3 years or so on and I am still making changes to my cab, it will never be the way I want it but I think thats the fun.
    I play it every day...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Is there anyway to download all the game themes in one go, as opposed to downloading them one at a time off the hyperspin site?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,875 ✭✭✭Steve X2

keithgeo wrote: »
    Is there anyway to download all the game themes in one go, as opposed to downloading them one at a time off the hyperspin site?

Register with them for ftp access. Then you can download away.

Edit:
    And then register with emumovies ftp for the preview vids.

Cheers! Probably gonna cost me is it?

Cheers! Probably gonna cost me is it?

Yeah, think i paid about 20 dollars each for access. Could you not just grab someones hyperspin setup from here and work off that. I mean if you drop a 2TB hard drive in to me and give me a couple days with it I'll gladly dump my setup on it for you. Share the wealth etc. The offer is there anyway.

I have a 100mb broadband line so I just downloaded the highest quality artwork and preview vids I could get so it looks about as good as it can until I stick it in a cab(whenever that is).

• Advertisement

Cheers for the offer, i only have a 1tb drive here and the drive i have in the thing is only 300mb or something i think so i doubt i could fit all the stuff you have on there. I might pick up another drive, if i do i will definitaly take you up on that offer. thanks!

Cheers for the offer, i only have a 1tb drive here and the drive i have in the thing is only 300mb or something i think so i doubt i could fit all the stuff you have on there. I might pick up another drive, if i do i will definitaly take you up on that offer. thanks!

No prob, i think the actual media is only about 100gb. And then when you include the games/emulators and other bits it comes to 1.7TB.

I recently deleted all the emulators and games other than mame off mine, figured whats the point, i have all the consoles anyways and they are not the same when emulated. so im only really looking at arcade games for mine.

Does anyone have the artwork themes for this? I know how to get them but dont have 25quid to waste on it at the minute! and dont fancy downloading each one individualy.

Does anyone have the artwork themes for this? I know how to get them but dont have 25quid to waste on it at the minute! and dont fancy downloading each one individualy.

Pretty sure I have everything for it. Is it just MAME artwork your looking for or all systems?
    The MAME artwork themes including preview vids is about 19GB, without the preview vids its 1.4GB.

I can hook you up with a login to one of my FTP servers if you want to grab them that way. I have a few people on it so the fastest connection I could give you is 3MB/s. But you can grab as much as you like from there.

• Advertisement

That would be great if you could do that! cheers!

Its only really mame im in interested in for now. thanks a million.

That would be great if you could do that! cheers!

Its only really mame im in interested in for now. thanks a million.

Sent you a PM with the details.

Thanks! I owe you big time. :pac:

as ive said on here somewhere before, some games dont launch for me from max arcade but do from mame itself.

well as it turns out they dont want to work from hyperspin either, the same games, its weird. so looks like i have a dodgey set of roms or something. also Steve not all those themes seem to work for me, some just have the default arcade image? am i right in assuming if it has the logo on the wheel it should have a theme?, so im guessing thats because the romset i have isnt named the same as the theme files or something? best bet get a new romset?

as ive said on here somewhere before, some games dont launch for me from max arcade but do from mame itself.

well as it turns out they dont want to work from hyperspin either, the same games, its weird. so looks like i have a dodgey set of roms or something. also Steve not all those themes seem to work for me, some just have the default arcade image? am i right in assuming if it has the logo on the wheel it should have a theme?, so im guessing thats because the romset i have isnt named the same as the theme files or something? best bet get a new romset?

Well not every MAME rom has a custom theme as far as i know(about 1000 of the most popular do). Some will just have the default arcade theme with some random theme effects. All games should have a custom wheel and a preview vid though.

Just wondering how you created or where you got the database for MAME? I've stuck the one I use on the ftp server now if you want to grab that(only a few kb in size). You will need to use MAME 0.137 with a valid 0.137 romset for the all games to work. I've yet to come across one that wont load on my setup, including one game you were having a problem with that you mentioned on another thread(can't remember which game).

The database files go in something like "C:\Hyperspin\Databases\MAME" depending on where you have it setup.

I basically have 2 versions of MAME, this version 0.137 for hyperspin as I know if works 100 percent and has good game compatibility and also the latest version of MAME with an updated romset to use outside of hyperspin.

Which romset do you have at the moment?

You can also set hyperspin to hide games that do not have a theme or wheel if you want to keep it nice and slick looking.

It's fairly easy to create a basic theme and even easier to make a wheel if a game you love doesn't have one. I think it's only MAME that does not have all the games themed up as the default list of games in mame changes so regularly. All supported consoles and handhelds have full themes as the game lists do not change.

Cool, I think i need to just put some time into it and sort out exactly what i have. I think my rom set is .139 or something and that may be why there are issues. At the minute im all over the place to be honest i need to start fresh because i have dropped numerous files in different places i have no idea what im at right now.

I think i need to use your 137 as a base and go from there.

The reason i think some of the themes are not working for me is because Im assuming if a game has a fancy logo on the wheel for its name it has a theme associated with it?

Some of the games with fancy logos on my one dont load up the theme. Am i making an incorrect assumption that just because on the wheel the game has the fancy logo that is has a theme that should be working?

Thanks again!

Cool, I think i need to just put some time into it and sort out exactly what i have. I think my rom set is .139 or something and that may be why there are issues. At the minute im all over the place to be honest i need to start fresh because i have dropped numerous files in different places i have no idea what im at right now.

I think i need to use your 137 as a base and go from there.

The reason i think some of the themes are not working for me is because Im assuming if a game has a fancy logo on the wheel for its name it has a theme associated with it?

Some of the games with fancy logos on my one dont load up the theme. Am i making an incorrect assumption that just because on the wheel the game has the fancy logo that is has a theme that should be working?

Thanks again!

The wheels are separate from the themes so you can have a nice wheel and still have no theme. Do you get at least a default theme coming up for all games. Something like this but with some animations and flash:

videol.png
    If not then just check the themes folder and you should have a sub folder called default with some pics in it and a xml file.

Hey i actually cant see that image in work its blocked by the proxy, but what i get is an image of an arcade cab, blue, with something like "retro games" or something on it and i think the video will play on the screen.

Hey i actually cant see that image in work its blocked by the proxy, but what i get is an image of an arcade cab, blue, with something like "retro games" or something on it and i think the video will play on the screen.

Yeah, it sounds like you have the default theme working anyway.

• Advertisement

Cool, yeh i was just confused because i was thinking that the ones with logos should have a theme. Thats grand maybe they are all working so. After i set it up last night, minus the videos, i messed around with that scanlines thing. Im delighted with how it looks, i found a website with some different scanline images and settings for the mame.ini file that work great, the images where different than the ones you had in that zip file. I tried a few of them but found one on the net that works brillliantly. I know it cant replace the look of an original arcade monitor but the games look way better with the scan lines.

Quick question on the wheel. Im only going to have mame and a jukebox on mine, for now anyways, i was wondering, you know the way if you only have two things on the wheel it repeats them? like - mame, jukebox, mame, jukebox, mame, jukebox etc. is there anyway to just have one mame, jukebox on the wheel and only scroll up and down once instead of the whole wheel spinning around repeating each one? Not sure if that makes sense!

Yeah the scanlines make a big difference. It can take a while to get the perfect scanline artwork to look good with the monitor your running it on but it's totally worth it, especially if it's a lcd screen.

My main pc screen is a 27" lcd and mame looks really bad until I load up the perfect scanline for that monitor, I ended up making my own scanlines as the ones i found just didn't look right to me on that screen.

As for the repeating main wheels, I'm not sure how you disable that as I haven't come across anything about it on the hyperspin or other forums. If you just had the one wheel then that would be fine as you could set hyperspin to single mode and it loads right into whatever wheel you select in HyperHQ
    Cool, yeh i was just confused because i was thinking that the ones with logos should have a theme. Thats grand maybe they are all working so. After i set it up last night, minus the videos, i messed around with that scanlines thing. Im delighted with how it looks, i found a website with some different scanline images and settings for the mame.ini file that work great, the images where different than the ones you had in that zip file. I tried a few of them but found one on the net that works brillliantly. I know it cant replace the look of an original arcade monitor but the games look way better with the scan lines.

Quick question on the wheel. Im only going to have mame and a jukebox on mine, for now anyways, i was wondering, you know the way if you only have two things on the wheel it repeats them? like - mame, jukebox, mame, jukebox, mame, jukebox etc. is there anyway to just have one mame, jukebox on the wheel and only scroll up and down once instead of the whole wheel spinning around repeating each one? Not sure if that makes sense!

Right heres another one for you!! whats the story with "High Scores" I would like to keep my high scores in games like donkey kong, pacman etc. not too bothered about street fighter 2and that, more the retro ones like those two and space invaders etc. can it be done?

Right heres another one for you!! whats the story with "High Scores" I would like to keep my high scores in games like donkey kong, pacman etc. not too bothered about street fighter 2and that, more the retro ones like those two and space invaders etc. can it be done?

MAME should keep the high scores for you if you have the hiscore.dat file in the mame directory. You can use HiToText to display them on hyperspin if you like. I had it set to display the high scores for a while but disabled it as it just didn't look good to me.

MAME definitely does keep my high scores. You do need to do a little bit of messing around with the HyperLaunch.ahk file as if you run MAME through Hyperlaunch it wont save them by default as you are not exiting MAME in the normal way and that's when it saves the high scores.

You need to remove the hotkey line in the MAME part of HyperLaunch.ahk which will let you exit MAME normally when ran from HyperSpin and will save the scores for you. And of course always backup that .ahk file before editing :D

Edit:
    This the hotkey line by the way.
    Hotkey, %exitEmulatorKey%, CloseProcess

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Relikk

Standard MAME doesn't save the high scores even with the DAT, anymore. You have to build your own version to support it. =/

Relikk wrote: »
    MAME doesn't save the high scores even with the DAT, anymore. You have to build your own version to support it. =/
    I use and as far as I know keithgeo is using MAME 0.137 in hyperspin and this version still supports hiscore.dat.

I find 0.137 the best version for hyperspin, good balance between game compatibility and playability.

I always have the latest version with a full romset as well for use outside of hyperspin. It's easy to compile MAME anyway to add the support back in and to do "other" things as well :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Steve SI wrote: »
    I use and as far as I know keithgeo is using MAME 0.137 in hyperspin and this version still supports hiscore.dat.

I find 0.137 the best version for hyperspin, good balance between game compatibility and playability.

I always have the latest version with a full romset as well for use outside of hyperspin. It's easy to compile MAME anyway to add the support back in and to do "other" things as well :D

Actually I always wondered was there a way to compile a variant that told you what was missing (cross reference between the ALL & AVAILABLE tabs)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Relikk

I'm sure they stopped (officially) supporting it fairly early, 0.107, or so. Hmm, I'll have to look into the next vanilla build and do a few tests. :D

Relikk wrote: »
    I'm sure they stopped (officially) supporting it fairly early, 0.107, or so. Hmm, I'll have to look into the next vanilla build and do a few tests. :D

Actually your correct. I think 0.107u1 was the last to support hiscore.dat.
    Think I had a brain fart :eek:

Anyhooo,
    MAME now officially use a folder called "Hi" to save high scores in individual files.

You will still need to remove the hotkey line in HyperLaunch.ahk

• Advertisement

Ok haha.. it seems i have to compile a diff high score file into 137 is that right??

Steve im using your version so do i need to do that or is there an easier way? as of now its not saving highscores for me in donkey kong etc..

Advertisement