Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hyperspin, finally done.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,875 ✭✭✭Steve X2

keithgeo wrote: »
    Ok haha.. it seems i have to compile a diff high score file into 137 is that right??

Steve im using your version so do i need to do that or is there an easier way? as of now its not saving highscores for me in donkey kong etc..

If you play a game in MAME directly without using hyperspin does it save the score?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Not sure to be honest i didnt think of trying that. Ill be able to take a look in about an hour or so.

I tested Donkey Kong US Set1 direct from mame and it DOES save it!! happy days. so something with hyperspin is stopping it.. would love to get this sorted out. any ideas??

FYI. got my highest donkey score testing it there :) ill be copying that file over haha..

Triple post sorry, but just figured this out.

In hyperspin, wheelsettingsm select mame and choose execution "normal" as opposed to hyperlaunch and it works with mame 137.

Triple post sorry, but just figured this out.

In hyperspin, wheelsettingsm select mame and choose execution "normal" as opposed to hyperlaunch and it works with mame 137.

Or you can just edit that file I mentioned earlier if you want to use hyperlaunch with it.

• Advertisement

what does hyperlaunch do anyways?

just looked at that file, what do i have to edit there?

what does hyperlaunch do anyways?

You can define a lot of advance scripting for your emulators and apps. It doesn't do a lot with MAME usually as its not really needed. But for other emulators and apps ran within Hyperspin you can define what you want to happen when you click that button to load the emulator/app.

You can tell it to mount an ISO using daemon tools before it allows the emulator to load up for example or to blank the screen for a few seconds while an emulator is loading up so you cant see the windows and dialog boxes opening up and things like that. There is so much you can do with it really.

Basically that HyperLaunch.ahk file with all the scripts in it gets compiled into HyperLaunch.exe any time you make changes . It doesn't do it automatically though, you must compile it yourself.

I'm sure you can find a better explanation for it on the hyperspin forums as they have real experts on it there who know it better than me.

Basically your MAME section in that file probably looks like this:
    ;*************************************MAME**************************************

else if (systemName = "MAME" && executable = "mame.exe")
    {
        hideDesktop()
        Hotkey, %exitEmulatorKey%, CloseProcess
        Runwait, %executable% %romName%, %EmuPath%, Hide UseErrorLevel
        Process, waitClose, %executable%
        exitapp
    }

Change it to look like this and it will now save your high scores when hyperlaunch is used:
    ;*************************************MAME**************************************

else if (systemName = "MAME" && executable = "mame.exe")
    {
        hideDesktop()
        Runwait, %executable% %romName%, %EmuPath%, Hide UseErrorLevel
        Process, waitClose, %executable%
        exitapp
    }

You will have removed this line:
    Hotkey, %exitEmulatorKey%, CloseProcess

You will need AutoHotkey installed to compile the file.
    And I highly recommend Notepad++ to edit the file itself as Notepad++ plays friendly with the scripts.

So with AutoHotkey and Notepad++ installed you will open the HyperLaunch.ahk file with Notepad++ (After you have backed it up) and make the changes and save.

Then right click on HyperLaunch.ahk and select "Compile Script". This will create a new HyperLaunch.exe file (check the time stamp on it to make sure its new)

And that's it really. It may sound a bit complicated but it really isnt as you will see yourself if you do it. It's harder to explain it than it is to do it.

To be honest you probably wont need to use any advanced scripting if you are just using MAME. But you have a Jukebox set up as well and you could do a few things with that if you wanted to.

Did that there no problem, once again thanks for the help!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Cheers folks, there's some really useful Mame info on these pages. Much appreciated.

• Advertisement

Did that there no problem, once again thanks for the help!

Happy days :D

Yet another Hyperspin question!! :pac:

Its running a bit sluggish for me, not the games, the menus loading, and the video at the start is blocky. i currently have it turned off. Now im running this on a dual core with 4gigs or ram, the graphics card is an onboard intel so im not sure how good it is. Would you say the problem is with the graphics card?? it runs no problem on my laptop! This pc is fairly decent so its kind of annoying! any ideaS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Yet another Hyperspin question!! :pac:

Its running a bit sluggish for me, not the games, the menus loading, and the video at the start is blocky. i currently have it turned off. Now im running this on a dual core with 4gigs or ram, the graphics card is an onboard intel so im not sure how good it is. Would you say the problem is with the graphics card?? it runs no problem on my laptop! This pc is fairly decent so its kind of annoying! any ideaS?

I'd imagine its the on-board graphics letting you down. I've the same specs except for a budget Ati pci-e card & well you seen it running on my cab its perfectly smooth.

Its a process intensive programe, but the specs you have are more than enough to run it perfectly (minus the gfrx card)

cool ill have to pick one up off adverts so, what would you recomend spec wise?

The current version of hyperspin is 100 percent CPU driven. Meaning it doesn't use the graphics card for the frontend at all.

cool ill have to pick one up off adverts so, what would you recomend spec wise?

A PCI-e card with 256MB should be more than enough. I've run all the big emulators on my cab with these specs through Hyperspin & it hasn't missed a beat. Anything more powerful is a waste :)

Steve SI wrote: »
    The current version of hyperspin is 100 percent CPU driven. Meaning it doesn't use the graphics card for the frontend at all.

What version is that? I think I'm still on 0.9 or something similar.

I shouldnt have a problem then realistically and yet its jumpy? i have the latest version installed, its really annoying I think i might copy off the entire Hyperspin\emulator folder onto an external and rebuild the pc fresh.

EnterNow wrote: »
    What version is that? I think I'm still on 0.9 or something similar.

0.9 and 1.0 are 100 percent CPU driven.

v1.0 is the current version and v2.0 is coming soon, hopefully the new version will use the graphics chips as well. I'm sure it will as they will surely be compiling it with a newer version of flash that supports GPU acceleration.

0.9 and 1.0 are 100 percent CPU driven.

v1.0 is the current version and v2.0 is coming soon, hopefully the new version will use the graphics chips as well. I'm sure it will as they will surely be compiling it with a newer version of flash that supports GPU acceleration.

Well there you go Keith, software driven would indicate something related to your setup.

Intel Core2Duo @ 2.6Ghz & 4MB DDR2 400 RAM for me runs it perfectly well. What OS are you using?

• Advertisement

I shouldnt have a problem then realistically and yet its jumpy? i have the latest version installed, its really annoying I think i might copy off the entire Hyperspin\emulator folder onto an external and rebuild the pc fresh.

Do you have any antivirus software running on the machine? Sometimes that will kick in and slow things down when you first load up hyperspin.

My main PC has antivirus and all that but the machine I'm setting up for hyperspin has nothing on it, for increased performance. Everything is scanned before it gets to that machine :)

Do you have any antivirus software running on the machine? Sometimes that will kick in and slow things down when you first load up hyperspin.

My main PC has antivirus and all that but the machine I'm setting up for hyperspin has nothing on it, for increased performance. Everything is scanned before it gets to that machine :)

Same here, the pc in the cab is a barebones install with everything non essential removed or disabled.

Its just your standard XP install, nothing else on it at all really other than hyperspin and mame. I might just rebuild it because ive messed around with it a lot in the process of setting things up, eg i went from a later version of mame to 137 and i was using max arcade on it originally and now hyperspin, it might just need a fresh install, ill try that first before i go getting a graphics card.

I have a fairly beefy gamer pc setup(i7 970 CPU, geforce 580 dual sli, 12gb ram) but when I run Hyperspin on that PC it will sometimes run a bit jerky for a few seconds as all the security stuff kicks in and then go back to normal.

I think its all the flash content within Hyperspin. It might depend on what antivirus you use as well. I'm using Microsoft security essentials as its very good and also fairly lightweight.

Does the standard XP installation see all 4Gigs of ram? I used XP64 because the version I had would only see 3GB (file system limitation or something).

Yeh your right, you need 64bit installed to see the whole 4gb otherwise you only get 3. Ill see if i can get my hands on 64bit, shouldnt be a problem.

Yeh your right, you need 64bit installed to see the whole 4gb otherwise you only get 3. Ill see if i can get my hands on 64bit, shouldnt be a problem.

I have it here somewhere if your stuck, but it means your losing 25% of your ram by using the 32 bit version. That being said, why don't you use Vista/7? The only reason I chose XP64 is because Soft15Khz isn't compatible with the later OS's yet, & I needed Soft15 due to my arcade screen. Your using an LCD correct? I'd be going Win7 all day long if I were you (assuming HS runs under Win7?)

Just a quick note on the operating system.

I did a test with windows xp 64bit and windows 7 64bit running on a core 2 duo 3.06ghz with 4gb ram and integrated graphics @1080p.

The system with windows 7 ran hyperspin and MAME a whole lot better than the XP one. Just something to think about.

Just a quick note on the operating system.

I did a test with windows xp 64bit and windows 7 64bit running on a core 2 duo 3.06ghz with 4gb ram and integrated graphics @1080p.

The system with windows 7 ran hyperspin and MAME a whole lot better than the XP one. Just something to think about.

Well it would, its a more polished OS & far more efficient with process management etc. Try run Soft15Khz under Win 7 though ;)

• Advertisement

Hmm looks like i have some choices to make! Yeh originally i had xp installed because i first had a graphics card installed running soft15hz hooked up to tvs! I then sold the graphics card and bought an arcadevga, which i then sold too and just decided to go with an lcd. Just wondering can you autlogon windows 7? I think you can, actually i know you can so ignore that. yeh maybe ill go with 7 so if hyperspin etc is compatible with it.

Advertisement