Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hyperspin, finally done.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

keithgeo wrote: »
    Hmm looks like i have some choices to make! Yeh originally i had xp installed because i first had a graphics card installed running soft15hz hooked up to tvs! I then sold the graphics card and bought an arcadevga, which i then sold too and just decided to go with an lcd. Just wondering can you autlogon windows 7? I think you can, actually i know you can so ignore that. yeh maybe ill go with 7 so if hyperspin etc is compatible with it.

Absolutely, if your not using Soft15 then Win7 is the way to go man. Install it & cut it back to thye bare minimum, no anti-virus etc.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

The more i think about win7 the more im wondering how much hassle it will be, like can you bootskin it, change that windows logon screen to generic background colour etc. I can be a bit picky about stuff like this, i mean i want it booting up without a trace of microsoft and at the minute with xp i can do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,875 ✭✭✭Steve X2

The more i think about win7 the more im wondering how much hassle it will be, like can you bootskin it, change that windows logon screen to generic background colour etc. I can be a bit picky about stuff like this, i mean i want it booting up without a trace of microsoft and at the minute with xp i can do that.

Well the Windows 7 logon screen is easy and you don't need to run any theme software either. Grab a copy of TweaksLogon and change the logon screen to whatever you want and apply, then it saves it and leaves nothing running in the background. I use the attached image on my logon screen at the moment on my main pc and it looks well @1080p, if you like that sort of thing.

As for the boot logo, I think thats a bit harder to change in win7. It would be easier to have no boot logo at all but I'm sure the logo can be changed as well, somehow.

Looks easy enough to change it:

http://www.coderforlife.com/projects/win7boot/

Rebuit with Windows 7 Last night, 64bit. its still sluggish on the video at the start and loading the themes. So i guess its the graphics card. Going to Grab a couple of new pcs later and build them and see if it makes a difference. The graphics card (onboard) was 256mb card with 64 Video Memory according to the specs showing in Windows 7.

• Advertisement

Rebuit with Windows 7 Last night, 64bit. its still sluggish on the video at the start and loading the themes. So i guess its the graphics card. Going to Grab a couple of new pcs later and build them and see if it makes a difference. The graphics card (onboard) was 256mb card with 64 Video Memory according to the specs showing in Windows 7.

Very strange that, & no anti-virus or anything installed?

Nope nothing at all except Windows764bit, Hyperspin and mame. Its strange because windows itself runs exteremly fast, ie i open windows explorer and it pops up instantly, 0 waiting. Im half thinking it might be the speed of the hard disk maybe? I dunno, ill try a different pc later.

Nope nothing at all except Windows764bit, Hyperspin and mame. Its strange because windows itself runs exteremly fast, ie i open windows explorer and it pops up instantly, 0 waiting. Im half thinking it might be the speed of the hard disk maybe? I dunno, ill try a different pc later.

What is your video file directory structure? Ie does HS have to navigate many folder levels to find the videos?

No its basically c:\hyperspin\ then the videos are in there wherever the folder is, so its about as top level as the folder structure could get.

Thats weird alright. Maybe do a quick video or something to show us how slow or jerky it is.

I'll make a quick vid later of how it runs on a medium spec pc with integrated graphics.
    Specs are:
    Dell optiplex usff 755
    4GB ram, i might take out 2 an see how it runs.
    core 2 duo 3.2ghz
    1TB external drive (so if anything is running slow it will be this as its over usb 2 and not an internal drive)

This pc has antivirus/firewall and all that stuff so it should be as jerky as your hyperspin.

Will stick it up later.

• Advertisement

Thats acutally the same model pc im on!

Edit, is that a small form factor? my one was a tower i think.

Thats acutally the same model pc im on!

Edit, is that a small form factor? my one was a tower i think.

Its the ultra small form factor one. Modded a little bit but more or less the same as one you would buy. So it will be a good test to see how it runs. I'll stick a video up on youtube later of me loading up hyperpsin and navigating a few sections and see how the video plays. It should be a bit jerky as its coming from a usb 2 drive and I'll leave antivirus and firewall software running to see how it goes.

One thing you need to do in Win7 is disable desktop composition on the hyperspin .exe file. Or disable it altogether.

Right click on the .exe ,properties,compatibility and select "disable desktop composition" and maybe also select "run as admin".

Ok, here's the video as promised.
    The colours are a bit washed out as it was recorded directly from an LCD screen.

It runs fairly well on this little Dell system, even at 1080p. You can see a few stutters here and there but its not bad when you think its running off an external USB drive.
    The graphics card is rubbish in this system but as I said before this version of Hyperspin does not use the graphic card at all so it comes down to Processor, Ram and hard drive/OS performance.

It's running at 1920x1080 and is also recorded in 1080p, so if you want a better look at it just up it from 360p to 480/720/1080p on the YouTube player.

The video does go on a bit as I got sucked into watching the system preview vids and forgot I was recording it :D

Here are the specs that it was run on:
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 @3.17Ghz
    4Gb DDR2 Ram
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
    Graphics:Intel Q35 integrated

Thats real smooth compared to my pc, it runs like that on my laptop though not a problem. I got another 4gb of memory to put in it too so ill have 8gigs in it. havent had a chance to see if that makes a difference yet.

Thats real smooth compared to my pc, it runs like that on my laptop though not a problem. I got another 4gb of memory to put in it too so ill have 8gigs in it. havent had a chance to see if that makes a difference yet.

The ram will help the emulators all right but Hyperspin itself only ever uses about 100-200MB ram on me. Really don't know why the video is stuttering on a freshly built system.

Right I now have a different pc rebuilt with Windows 7 64bit, its a Dual Core 3.0ghz with 8 Gigs of Ram, 1562mb Graphics (not sure the exact number but its something like that, and it also says 32mb video memory. The video at the start is playing fine now.

BUT haha.. always a but.. I have copied over Hyperspin and all the subfolders i had setup, and exact copy and paste from the previous machine, it contains all themes, videos etc.

Copied from c:\hyperspin to c:\hyperspin

when it loads up now, i can see the menus etc. but when i click on mame, where it should load up all the games\themes etc it goes black like its loading and goes back to the main menu? Any ideas whats going wrong there?

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

Hey Keith

Im at home trying to configure HyperSpin myself from scratch,
    what a PAIN of a Thing :)

I have all cab, pcb, artwork and videos from Mame but Movies are AVI
    So converting all 3000 of them from avi to flv, its taking hours :)
    Now I see I have to download all THEMES .... gods sake ill have no hair left :)

Onto prob with loading into Mame wheel and goes black and then back to systems menu
    I had exact same problem hour ago. Not sure exact sequence of what I did but it broke Mame when i was trying to remove clones.

Go Into Hperspins HYPERHQ, frontend to configure Hyperspin mame.ini
    Goto WHEEL SETTINGS TAB
    Then WHEEL
    In here i think it was Whell Filters broke it.

At moment its working now again with
    Theme Only Unticked
    Wheels Only Unticked
    PARENTS Only TICKED ***********

I have 2 clone options clicked too

Hope this helps
    Kev

Hey SteveSI

Hope you dont mind me asking but any chance I could get Access to ur FTP with all its goodies within?
    Dont worry about speed anything at all. Id be happy with 56k :)

I Already have Mame 131 with all Video Previews and complete ROM set
    with Cabinets, and Artwork, PCBs etc....

I nearly ready to hook up a new Windows 7 to a 15Htz Arcade Monitor.
    Tying to get HyperSpin working, Got Mame Working on it with Video Previews.

But I want to get all the Systems and Game Themes up to date, can only find them on Hyperspin and its painful to download one at a time. I join emumovies if anyone recommends it, but its really just all Hyperspin files im after.

Also could go back to GameEX, which is great FE but it wont load after i installed ArcadeVGA PCI-e card, DirectX getdevicesCap function error, looks like graphics drivers, but ive giving up, just gonna try get Hyperspin completed.

Also hoping to get Nes, SNES, N64 and PC SF4 setup on this.

Thanks a million
    Kev

PS Keith Hope you got it up and running again.

Think im nearly there, FYI if you install Hyperspin on windows 7 64Bit, and your pressing escape to exit and the game isnt exiting, well then you probably havent installed your sound card drivers. for some strange reason installing your sound card drivers resolves all the issues including, no exit message coming up when you hit escape, not able to access mame themes. strange one. Its back working now after i installed the sound card.

Video is playing Perfect at the start, no lag on theme changes.. Thats what W7, 8Gigs of ram and a dual core processer will do for you haha..

kevin2me wrote: »
    Hey SteveSI

Hope you dont mind me asking but any chance I could get Access to ur FTP with all its goodies within?
    Dont worry about speed anything at all. Id be happy with 56k :)

Hey, sorry but the ftp is maxed out at the moment transferring 1TB of research files from my server here in Dublin to 2 servers in the US and 1 server in the Czech Republic.

It's gonna take a while to clear all that out before I can spare any bandwidth :(

If you need anything in particular let me know and I can probably stick a few gigs onto an offsite server that doesn't effect my local bandwidth here. That server has some serious speed and should max out any connection up to 500MB/s, but doesn't have nearly as much storage as my local ftp server.

I had to install these things on the server hard drives to keep them a bit cooler as the the drives were getting hammered and heating up a bit to much for my liking from all the continuous access.
    2372d1213718799-ultra-aluminum-hard-drive-cooler-heatpipes-ultra-aluminum-hard-drive.jpg
    DSC05201.JPG

• Advertisement

Hey Steve

Thanks for getting back to me, No problem at all thats fine,
    Thoses machines must be doing some work though that you had to put the coolers on :)

Ya what im really after is HyperSpin Themes, They dont look that large.
    In Particular the Sytems Themes and Games Themes for Mame and Nintendo.
    Theres 11 Pages of them on HyperSpins Site but take 3 days to download them as can only download them one at a time even though they are only a MB each :) gggrrrrr
    Why cant they make these things easy... lol

Im just back from Czech Republic myself was over in Brno working for a bit,
    great little place. Boy you eat and drink for nothing over there lol

Kev

Hey Steve

Thanks for offer ftp earlier, quick update,
    I bought HyperSpin FTP Access, and downloaded 10GB of Themes, runs fine now :)
    Still need some Mame GameList setup as its not usable as is,
    1000's games too many I find, its no fun scrolling down thru em all,
    be nice to trim down to Small GameListfor say top few 100's for HyperSpin.

I have FULL Mame set for 131 with all CHDs, Artwork, Cabs, Videos etc....
    Is it worth having Emumovies Account, probably not when I already have all Mame Videos.
    I Converted All My AVIs too to FLV for Hyperspin, saved me redownloading them all :)

I suppose no need to get newer rom set?
    At the Moment running MameUI32 with GameEx\HyperSpin, Project 64 1.7, Snes9.
    And PC game SF4 of course.

Any other emulators worth getting guys?
    Thinking Sega Model 2/3, Saturn, Dreamcast, NeoGeo's Emulators maybe?
    Or do ye find Mame good enough for 99% of games ye'd play?

Thanks, Kev

You can add the games you play the most to your favourites in hyperspin then set it to open up favourites by default, so you dont get the entire list of games.

Ya ill have to try download a Fav Game List from some and match it to my rom set if any names differ, Hyperspin looks great but god its so tiresome to get up and running :)

kevin2me wrote: »
    Ya ill have to try download a Fav Game List from some and match it to my rom set if any names differ, Hyperspin looks great but god its so tiresome to get up and running :)

Ahh now, half the fun is getting it up and running the way you like. I spent ages cleaning up artwork and creating my own and really enjoyed it, even if I complained a little bit :)

agree with you there steve, half the fun is scrolling through all the games remembering the ones you used to play and adding them to your favourites. Dont download a favourites list create your own!

Ask any questions you have here on configuration, the lads where a great help to me when i was doing mine!

agree with you there steve, half the fun is scrolling through all the games remembering the ones you used to play and adding them to your favourites. Dont download a favourites list create your own!

Ask any questions you have here on configuration, the lads where a great help to me when i was doing mine!

Haha Thanks Guys,
    Im going to go with ye on this one, ye are wiser than me :)
    The Idea of going thru 1000's Roms I thought no way it'll break me,
    Hyperspin already has me broken :)

But after finding NBA Jam last nite by accident, god I had some laugh playing it. Breaking the Glass, and slaka laka Booom!!!! priceless
    Its time ive play it on Arcade, was all on consoles before, unreal 2 Player game too :)

Just gotta keep playing with it and find other hidden Gems.
    Plus my CP artwork came today after 4 week week
    time to wire up ur chrome Led Buttons Keith :)

I still have to order my artwork, im not sure yet what the final size of the marquee will be until i put all the pieces of the jigsaw together so dont want to order it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Would my specs be ok running hyperspin?

• Advertisement

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Would my specs be ok running hyperspin?

Hyperspin isn't the Crysis its made out to be here. Its a demanding front-end for sure, but if your system doesn't run it well with those specs then its another issue, not the specs.

Core2Duo @ 2.8Ghz
    4GB DDR2 400 Ram
    Win XP64

=

Perfect operation for me. It's prob run well on lesser specs if the truth be known. Anti-virus, & other progs etc all use up resources too. Remember to barebones the installation if its a dedicated pc.

Advertisement