Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hyperspin, finally done.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

Sparks thats plenty powerful, Its Core Duo as well making it even better,
    Hyperspin is CPU intensive and yours should handle it just fine.
    Kev

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Time to get a few beers in tonight and give it a good lash so:D

Cheers guys

• Registered Users Posts: 8,875 ✭✭✭Steve X2

It also depends a lot on what resolution you're running it at.

The higher your resolution is over 1024x768 then the more hyperspin has to work as it has to resize the artwork,menus etc.
    Hyperspin is designed to run natively at 1024x768. Anything else and it has to do a bit more work.

The new version of hyperspin is designed to work better with higher and lower resolution than 1024x768 and not use as much CPU time. But we are still waiting for that version :(

I think your specs will be fine unless you are running it at 1920x1080 with all effects on.

I'm running my Hyperspin at 2560x1600 on my main PC and that needs a decent machine.
    But I'm also running it on a barebones pc I've built to go into an arcade machine with an arcade monitor and thats at 800x600 and runs very well on a system similar to your specs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Steve SI wrote: »
    I'm running my Hyperspin at 2560x1600 on my main PC

What is the point of doing that though? None of the preview videos are captured at even close to that resolution, & the themes look fine at standard resolution, whats the point running the res so high?

EnterNow wrote: »
    What is the point of doing that though? None of the preview videos are captured at even close to that resolution, & the themes look fine at standard resolution, whats the point running the res so high?

Because that's the native resolution of my main PC's monitor. It's more to play around with than to actual use hyperspin. I have PC games setup on my Hyperspin and I've done my own preview videos for them in 1080p. It's just me tinkering around with hyperspin really. I mean I've set it up for use in my Candy Cab when it arrives so thats at 800x600 and lower.

And trust me, the artwork and interface looks great at 2560x1600 on a decent 30" monitor, with my own custom artwork and themes and particle effects.

I don't just download what everyone else has for hyperspin and use it, I create my own artwork and themes and that's the best way to do it if you can.

You can do much more than just run MAME on hyperspin :D

Sometimes I even run Hyperspin through my projector for the craic, it looks well on a 200" display but the retro games look poo.

• Advertisement

Because that's the native resolution of my main PC's monitor. It's more to play around with than to actual use hyperspin. I have PC games setup on my Hyperspin and I've done my own preview videos for them in 1080p. It's just me tinkering around with hyperspin really. I mean I've set it up for use in my Candy Cab when it arrives so thats at 800x600 and lower.

And trust me, the artwork and interface looks great at 2560x1600 on a decent 30" monitor, with my own custom artwork and themes and particle effects.

I don't just download what everyone else has for hyperspin and use it, I create my own artwork and themes and that's the best way to do it if you can.

You can do much more than just run MAME on hyperspin :D

Sometimes I even run Hyperspin through my projector for the craic, it looks well on a 200" display but the retro games look poo.

All valid points, but HS is normally just a UI or launcher, with the application settings being controlled by the programme your launching. So if your using HS to launch a game, HS doesn't have to be at the resolution that the game is set at. I'm sure you know all that, its just tiresome hearing HS needing a quantum computer to run well (not by you, just in general), it really doesn't.

Fair play re your own artwork etc, your probably utilising HS more than the average user in that respect. But in general for Mame cabs etc, depending on monitor size, the lower the res the better.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

well i had similiar spec to you but with 4gb of ram and the themes on my mine where very jumpy when loading, so i stuck in another 4gigs and its flying now.

It will run mame no problem but might have an issue or two with loading the hyperspin themes, try it out and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Think this might need a couple of crates of beer

Have had some joy but i cannot get speccy working :mad:

Guys i rebuilt the pc etc and im looking to get my "Favourites" to start when mame starts instead of the full list of games.. i know had it like this before but i cant remember for the life of me how i did it.!!

keithgeo wrote: »
    Guys i rebuilt the pc etc and im looking to get my "Favourites" to start when mame starts instead of the full list of games.. i know had it like this before but i cant remember for the life of me how i did it.!!

A very important lesson. Once your cab is built, never touch the settings again, ever.

• Advertisement

Haha.. i know. it was crashing on me had no choice! God damned i cant figure it out, i had it going perfect before.

found it, finally. there was something wrong with how i installed hyperspin none of the settings would save. anyways for future reference, its in mame.ini, in the hyperspin\settings folder -

start_on_favourites=true

:D

No hi score support in mame .144 though doh!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

found it, finally. there was something wrong with how i installed hyperspin none of the settings would save. anyways for future reference, its in mame.ini, in the hyperspin\settings folder -

start_on_favourites=true

:D

Excellent thanks for that! :)

yep its great saves your scrolling through everything.

No hi score support in mame .144 though doh!!

I've a recompiled version with hiscore, nonag and cave support for .144

I could never figure out that recompile stuff, it was just too confusing.. if you where to say.. share that with me... would it work? :)

I could never figure out that recompile stuff, it was just too confusing.. if you where to say.. share that with me... would it work? :)

Yeah, it'd work fine.
    I think I have a few versions of it up on the members download section on retrovia.ie but I'll check later on and stick up any other versions I have so you can grab the one you want(64bit,32bit, with gui or without etc).

I've not put much up on retrovia in a while, been working on my other sites and a new tech blog so it's been ignored a bit. I'll have to remedy that soon.

Might be the morning until I get to it.

Either way it will work fine for you. You'll want the cave roms as well but sure we can't talk about that here :D

Cool, thanks steve!

Cool, thanks steve!

I've just stuck the best version up on retrovia.ie now.
    I think you said you had 8GB of ram so I guess you'll want the "MAME v0.144 64bit emulator with NONAG, HISCORE patch and CAVE drivers" compile.

• Advertisement

I've just stuck the best version up on retrovia.ie now.
    I think you said you had 8GB of ram so I guess you'll want the "MAME v0.144 64bit emulator with NONAG, HISCORE patch and CAVE drivers" compile.

That brilliant thanks a lot, ill grab it tomorrow morning! couldnt live without my hi scores!

That brilliant thanks a lot, ill grab it tomorrow morning! couldnt live without my hi scores!

No probs, a man needs his hi score support.

Steve, i must be missing something on the Hiscore front, ive setup that mame version and all is good, no nag screens etc. but its not saving hi scores for me for some reason, any ideas? Im not using Hyperlaunch at the minute, i have the mame\hi folder in there.. cheers.

Steve, i must be missing something on the Hiscore front, ive setup that mame version and all is good, no nag screens etc. but its not saving hi scores for me for some reason, any ideas? Im not using Hyperlaunch at the minute, i have the mame\hi folder in there.. cheers.

Have you got the mame hiscore.dat file?
    Hiscore.dat is a complimentary file to help Mame in saving high scores.
    Most Mame games save their high scores by default, but over 2500 games
    do not save their high scores.

The Hiscore.dat file tells Mame some additional information and how to read and store the high scores using the /hi directory instead of /nvram.

I've attached it to this post as its completely legal and above board.

From the readme file:
    This is the hiscore.dat for the m.a.m.e. emulator.
    This file used in conjunction with a specially compiled mame that supports the hiscore.dat file
    will save many more hiscores than the regular build of mame.

Just extract the hiscoredat.zip into the folder that your mame.exe is in.

NOTE :- you need a mame build that supports the hiscore.dat

Hey was just coming back to reply, yeh i didnt have the hiscore.dat! id copied it over there from a backup and it worked.. amateur mistake!

thanks for that

Hey was just coming back to reply, yeh i didnt have the hiscore.dat! id copied it over there from a backup and it worked.. amateur mistake!

thanks for that

No worries.
    Remember that the hiscore.dat file needs to be updated regularly as well.
    The one I've attached is the most up to date as of today.

No worries.
    Remember that the hiscore.dat file needs to be updated regularly as well.
    The one I've attached is the most up to date as of today.

what does that file do? add support for more games?

what does that file do? add support for more games?
    I think it enables hiscores on games that dont support them in mame. I'm not 100 percent sure on it to be honest. It's updated with scores that are submitted to the team so you can submit your hiscore and others can try beat it when the updated .dat file is released.

http://highscore.mameworld.info/

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

Nice one steve, Downloaded it there,
    Im going to try play around with v144 tomorrow,

Ive never had HighScores working yet so be great to have.
    I current have full 131 rom set loaded with Mame 141 I think,
    I know the should mathc but 90% of all games i want to play seen to work fine.

With mame v144 and old romset will things completely go out of whack,
    I test tomorrow and see, but must its on my todo list to get a matching set asap regardless.

Does likes of newer Mame like v144 help run more intensive games run better
    like Carnevil, SF2 EX and such, or is this always dependent on RAM\CPU

Thanks kev

• Advertisement

i think mame is software driven so those games will be like that no matter what the hardware is, i could be wrong.

Advertisement