Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hyperspin, finally done.

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

keithgeo wrote: »
    i think mame is software driven so those games will be like that no matter what the hardware is, i could be wrong.

Yep, only brute CPU speed can do anything for them. And at that, we are talking about speeds we don't actually have available yet. The more accurate the emulation is sometimes, the more horsepower it takes to run it. It's another reason why the likes of Viva Nonno etc can run the Ridge Racer games so well - the emulation is 'hacky',meaning it doesn't have to emulate things that don't matter, & workarounds sometimes achieve more playable results

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

Ya I was pretty sure that was case, but was just hoping as my set is few years old at this stage. Maybe just maybe there was some improvements.
    Mame DEVs only care its 100% accurate, even runs 1FPS and rightly so in my opinion.

I'll be patient, its not like us here on boards will stop playing old games, we still be here in 10 years time talking about Hyperspin 2.0 is nearly ready :) and but at least we all have 64 core CPUs with 16 GB Graphics cards :)

Then they run fine :) But for now time to get Sega Model 2/3 emluators running i guess. Supermodal 3.0 looks cool, yet to get it working probably.

Steve SI wrote: »
    Well at last, I finally finished setting up the software side of things for my yet to be built/bought arcade cab.....I'm very fussy about things getting setup perfectly so it was a real pain to get all the emulators/games/preview vids/artwork and fancy effects running just as I wanted them to run... Has anyone else decided to use hyperspin or planning to use it as their front end of choice?.

Well done. I'm just putting the finishing touches to my hyperspin setup at the moment, then the PC will be getting stripped down to the motherboard and rebuilt inside my bartop cabinet, which I'll get back from my painter today (hope it all fits, lol).

Hyperspin really is a monster of a frontend to set up, but there isn't anything like it out there. I'm like you by the sounds of things, a bit OCD when it comes to getting things working the way I want, and hyperspin has been challenging at times, but I figure why do something half ass? it's the little extra touches that impress the most, and half the fun of owning something like this is building it.

I've got it to a point now where everything is customised, and a the artwork, videos, themes, genres, favourites, game lists, control schemes, and everything else are all working the way I want after a LOT of googling, head scratching, learning about XML and INI files, and looking for third party utilities and apps to fill gaps in hyperspin's feature list. As a frontend, it really lacks some key features in terms of rom list management and theme and artwork matching, but in terms of the finished, working setup its great. I know 2.0 will address a lot of the big issues, but I didnt want to wait and figured I'd rather avoid the new version for a while till the community support for it has built up.

Anyway, my setup won't be as huge as yours, I'm going for the sega and nintendo consoles from the 8, 16, 32, and 64 bit eras, as well as mame of course, in a 2 player bartop cabinet with metallic blue finish. I wanted to keep it to the consioles I and my friends played as kids, rather than filling it with games that realistically wouldn't see much action. My control panel is 2x Sanwa JLF sticks, modded with double springs and octo plates, 2x 6 happ ultimate buttons, and the usual pinball flippers and start buttons. No keyboards or mice anywhere, I've mounted 3x USB expansion ports on the back should I need to plug in a hard drive or keyboard/mouse for admin functions, and I've got a context sensitive 3-in-1 button on the front of the cab that serves different functions depending on the emulator that's running at the time, coin, pause, escape, select, etc.

It should be done over the next couple of weeks, I intend to do a blog or something, or post details of the project somewhere to keep a record, if anyone has any suggestions on where might be a good place for it, let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Lol :-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

It should be done over the next couple of weeks, I intend to do a blog or something, or post details of the project somewhere to keep a record, if anyone has any suggestions on where might be a good place for it, let me know.

Give me a shout if you want to post that up on GamersIreland.ie

I just got my hyperspin cab completely finished. If i can find time I'll do a writeup on the project soon, but in the meantime for anyone whose interested here's a link to a thread i made with info and some pics.

Hyperspin Arcade Bartop

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Actually, I bought that album, back in the day...

I had the following....
    Kriss Kross
    PM Dawn (now thats something to be ashamed of!)
    3rd Bass
    Public Enemy (Yeahhhh Boyzzzz!)
    Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy
    The Beloved
    Snap

just to name a few...
    Naff Naff Jackets,
    Joe Bloggs jeans,
    Big, Phat white basketball boots...

Good times, back in 92, good times...

Advertisement