Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

free Affidavit?

Options
  • 09-03-2011 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I need an affidavit to complete my daughters passport form. I rang the passport office and asked if i need it as ive already gave the one for her current passport. She said yes i need one everytime! :S

Anyways, i asked her if there was anywhere to get them signed for free and she said no.

I just cant believe that, a single parent has to pay extra for their childs passport each time its renewed?!

There must be a way of doing an affidavit for free (legally! :pac:)

Anyone know?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Doubt it, you'll have to go to a solicitor and they'll always charge for their time!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Have a chat with people in your local citizens information office.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Im pretty sure it only costs around €15. I know there are times many of us could do with an extra €15 but its not a high cost and it saves the hassle of having to find an absentee father etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

An affidavit is a legal document where you swear that you are telling the truth about the information it contains. It's is not something that can be done for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

AFAIK they can be witnessed by a Peace Commissioner or Commissioner for Oaths (i always get those 2 mixed up so i'm not sure which)
    But anyway would be cheaper than a solicitor!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

An affadavit needs a solicitor or Commisioner for Oaths. I don't think a Peace Commissioner can witness one. And Commissioners are generally solicitors who will charge for it. Peace Commissioners are upstanding members of the community.

It's a strange one that a Peace Commissioner can witness a Declaration of Guardianship granting guardianship rights to an unmarried father but can't allow a single mother to get her child's passport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

maameeo wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I need an affidavit to complete my daughters passport form. I rang the passport office and asked if i need it as ive already gave the one for her current passport. She said yes i need one everytime! :S

Anyways, i asked her if there was anywhere to get them signed for free and she said no.

I just cant believe that, a single parent has to pay extra for their childs passport each time its renewed?!

There must be a way of doing an affidavit for free (legally! :pac:)

Anyone know?

Just to agree with everyone else. As far as Im aware its not possible to do it for free. I've had to do it twice now for my daughter. Agree that its silly when you are sending back a current passport and have to go through the affidavit rigmarole each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

An affidavit is a legal document where you swear that you are telling the truth about the information it contains. It's is not something that can be done for free.

But the question is why? I've had one done and the Comm for Oaths took approx 15 seconds to add their signature to the form I had previously completed.

I'm sure it can actually be done for free i.e. there are no legal ramifications if it were free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Its a legal rip off, and in the US they are free. No reason why they cant be here too.

ANd the passport office will keep your affadavit and not return it to you either btw.

In fairness to the ppo (I worked there many moons ago:D), they are required to keep the original affidavit on all u18 passport applications.
    The reason an affidavit is required for every renewal is that circumstances might have changed...the mother may have remarried, the child may be adopted, or someone else might have guardianship of the child since the previous application.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

It's not the Passport office's fault - they just implement the regulations.

You should be able to just make a declaration on the form without needing a solicitor/Commissioner. You can be prosecuted just as much for making a false declaration as you can for lying on an affidavit.

I think it would be worth writing to Shatter about the double tax on sole custodians for a five year passport.

They just have to have a "I swear under penalty of perjury...." line on the application form to cover their buts.

I think it would be worth writing to Shatter about the double tax on sole custodians for a five year passport.

They just have to have a "I swear under penalty of perjury...." line on the application form to cover their buts.

The 'double tax':confused:

Married people or co guardians don't have to slam down an extra 20 for a five year passport. So its 26.50 plus your affadavit fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Do not turn this thread into another debate about married/un-married parents.

Im pointing out its a double tax on sole custodians.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭egan2020

Do you have a solicitor? I work for a solicitor and we never charge our own clients for witnessing passport forms etc so that might be worth looking into. Otherwise, the usual charge is 10 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

Thanks everybody, i went to a solicitor today and got it done for 10euro.

i do think its really unfair to have go through this everytime :(

Advertisement