Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Mis-lit and Abuse Memoir

Options
  • 09-03-2011 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭

Just looking for a hand building a comprehensive list of all Irish trauma and abuse memoirs.

So far I've Paddy Doyle's, Martha Long's Kathy O'Beirne, Patrick Touher's, John Devane's and a couple of others that I haven't got at hand and cannot recall their titles.

Any suggestions to add to this list would be greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Angelas Ashes? Must be top of the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

mike65 wrote: »
    Angelas Ashes? Must be top of the list.

Yup. It is! :o You know when something is so obvious that it completely slips your mind...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

Would Christina Noble "Bridge Across my Sorrows" count? Although it's not purely about abuse/misery there sure was a lot in it.

Would Christina Noble "Bridge Across my Sorrows" count? Although it's not purely about abuse/misery there sure was a lot in it.

Cheers for the recommendation, I shall be sure to check it out.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭tawnyowl

Founded in Fear by Peter Tyrell probably qualifies - he spend a large part of his childhood in Letterfrack industrial school. I think it covers some of his adult life also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭teekayd25

Another one is "Altar Boy - A Story of Life After Abuse" by Andrew Madden.

Cheers all. Will be sure to source all them. Lots of light-haerted reading in front of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

diddlybit wrote: »
    Cheers all. Will be sure to source all them. Lots of light-haerted reading in front of me.

May I ask why you are compiling the list diddlybit?

I stay away from misery lit, but a friend recommended the horrifically titled 'Ma, he sold me for a few cigarettes'. Google reveals the author as Martha Long.

She told me it was a great read, she'd been crying for days with it.:(

I'm not sure reading all this material will be good for your mental health!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 misswhat

Celiene Roberts-No One Wants You. GREAT memoir. Really terrific book. She's from Limerick herself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

Brendan Behan's Borstal Boy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭meganj

Giselle wrote: »
    I stay away from misery lit, but a friend recommended the horrifically titled 'Ma, he sold me for a few cigarettes'. Google reveals the author as Martha Long.

That book actually spawned a trilogy as far as I know. I read the first one, harrowing stuff.

Kathy's Story: A Childhood Hell Inside the Magdalen Laundries is set (obviously) in a Magdalen Laundry, haven't read it myself but a friend is... lots of sobbing.

Advertisement