Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rabbite gets comms

Options
  • 09-03-2011 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭

Pat Rabbite gets comms and wood stoves. Hopefully he gets up to speed quickly on such a difficult portfolio.

Let's wish him well and see how he gets on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

bealtine wrote: »
    Hopefully he gets up to speed quickly...
    I see what you did there;)

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Voodoo_rasher

bealtine wrote: »
    Pat Rabbite gets comms and wood stoves. Hopefully he gets up to speed quickly on such a difficult portfolio.

Let's wish him well and see how he gets on.

small insignificant matters like Coillte and the Corrib Field will come under his remit! ; )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Best of luck to him, he definitely has his work cut out after 10+ years of wasters in that department.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Sensibly they have moved out the Fish to Agriculture and food.

I don't think Mr Rabbite will be too concerned with bicycles and woodstoves. Or too keen to flog of vital "Strategic" Infrastructures.

Water, Energy and Broadband to be priority of "New Era" Program.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Lpfsox

Fish went to Agriculture in 2007...

• Advertisement

So why... don't answer.. my bad,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Lpfsox wrote: »
    Fish went to Agriculture in 2007...

I can assure you there was plenty of trout in the DCENR long after 2007.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

I can assure you there was plenty of trout in the DCENR long after 2007.

Certainly a fishy smell ok....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Ok, so if they do intend to go ahead with this new era broadband stuff, they'll presumably have to change the rules on planning permission to exempt those large cabinets that they appear to require for FTTC in the UK?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikecattell/4218894050/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭rob808

ressem wrote: »
    Ok, so if they do intend to go ahead with this new era broadband stuff, they'll presumably have to change the rules on planning permission to exempt those large cabinets that they appear to require for FTTC in the UK?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikecattell/4218894050/
    I think most people be hoping for FTTH because it give proper higer speeds and quilty connection than FTTC.I think FTTC is still good with higher speed possible but doesnt come close to FTTH in speeds doh who want 100mb speeds anyway 40mb to 50mb are grand.

• Advertisement

a) The cabinets here may not be quite as big
    b) It's not that big
    c) It may not need planning permission when replacing existing cabinet.
    d) They can easily change the rules, it's not like we have worried about unwanted giant apartment/office/hotel blocks and random ill-advised rural housing with no mains water or sewerage, nearly 40% of people are not on proper treatment plants!

Most FTTC folks will be able to pay reasonable install charge to get upgraded to FTTP/FTTH.

The FTTC/FTTK/FTTN will allow a fast roll out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

1.8 meters tall.
    A BT spokeswoman said the new cabinets had to be larger because they needed powered electronics to convert the light signals transmitted over fibre optics to electrical signals to be transmitted to and from homes, over copper. The current all-copper links from homes to cabinets, to local exchanges, don't require such powered conversion.

It might help to notify the new minister, to get issues sorted before An Taisce start sticking their nose in and disrupting whatever contracts the minister signs.

Also to ensure that any new ducting put in on government projects is of a standard to allow upgrading in future. I think I remember a boardsie pointing out that a certain width is required to allow a machine to pull through a drag line.

Advertisement