Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Cert in Information Systems

Options
  • 09-03-2011 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

Im a first year Computing student
    Originally planned to do a degree in IT Mgmt, but have reconsidered

If I do the software development cert, I only have to commit to 2 years

Do you think theres ANY job you'd get with a H Cert? It seems all the ads want a degree and lots of experience

I really just want to be qualified for a low level job as Im gonna do a media degree which would be more freelance

Any help appreciated!

Course modules:

Higher Certificate in Science ( Computing Information Systems )
    Semester 1 Semester 2
    Software Development 1 Software Development 2
    Systems Analysis 1 Systems Analysis 2
    Discrete Mathematics 1 Statistics
    Bus. Informations Systems Visual Design
    Computer Architecture Intro to Operating Systems
    Web and Database Fundamentals Communications

Semester 3 Semester 4
    Software Development 3 Software Development 4
    Software Engineering Project
    Discrete Mathematics 2 Management Science
    Financial Management Web Design and Development 1
    Networking 1 Networking 2
    Databases Human Resource Management and Law

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Anyyybodyyy?.....

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭seventyeight

Yeah, it's a start. I'd say you'd find it hard to find a programming job with just a cert though. If you just want an IT job, you could probably get into a low end tech support role with that. Depends on your other experience and capabilities. You could always do some short professional courses/exams to bolster your chances and show a commitment to learning and self-development.

It'd be worthwhile sticking it out for at least another year to get the ordinary degree. Even from the 'media' perspective you may find that you could transfer to a media Masters course after your degree, rather than starting a media undergrad.

Not sure if this helps at all?!

Advertisement