Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clown Loach Died

Options
  • 09-03-2011 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭

Lads,

Came home this evening to my second clown loach dead! Water is all grand with regards levels and do a 30% water change weekly. Nitrate, Nitrite, Ammonia and Ph all normal. I even saw him eat.

Last few days he was floating near the filter and then he hid as usual all yesterdy and died today. Small bit of white fuzz around his body. This is the second loach who has died, I have no more now. Anyone any ideas? No bullies or anything in the tank.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

the white fuzz may have just appeared once dead, though it could also be a fungal infection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

have you more fish in the tank .

you need to check the rest of your fish for fungus normally found near the tail

did you add new fish or change filters lately.

i had the same problem in my guppy tank . one died every day bacteria infection . lost 12 guppies. i now have to do a 20% water change every 2 days and use general tonic to make sure its under control

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭mrpink6789

Yeah a couple of dwarf gouramis, guppies, tetras, cory's and Betta's. About 14 in a 180 litre tank. Nothing wrong with any of the other fish but I'll have a check again today just in case. Have not added new fish since about 2 months ago, not changing filters, just changing filter sponges.

Every week I do a 30% water change and add ph down to it as my water is hard. Maybe its the checmicals but then what should I do to keep the ph at a healthy range, if I dont use ph down its over 9 most of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

(just changing filter sponges)

This is how my Issue started . What make are yours ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Filter sponges should last 6 months
    Carbon pads (if any) are to be changed every 2-3 weeks according to manufacturer, but in reality can last just as long as the sponges.
    Their carbon does run out by the still offer much finer filtering power than the sponges.

Also never change both sponges at once as you remove too much bacteria to be able to cope with the fish waste.

If all other fish still healthy he may just have had some underlying fungal issue that eventually killed him. I've lost a couple of fish randomly before too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

bog wood will lower the ph

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I never change my filter sponges, I just give them a rinse in a bucket of tank water. I only change the white sponge and carbon.

I'm not sure about the habits of loaches, but it does sound bacterial / fungal.

I change the white sponge weekly, carbon every few months but filter ones havent changed in 6 ish months.

I was told about bog wood so I might get some of that, i was thinking of not using ph down but would be worried what the high ph levels would do to the not so hardy fish like the dwarf gouramis.

I change the white sponge weekly, carbon every few months but filter ones havent changed in 6 ish months.

I was told about bog wood so I might get some of that, i was thinking of not using ph down but would be worried what the high ph levels would do to the not so hardy fish like the dwarf gouramis.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭donal2000

I never change the filters in my tank, just rinse them in tank water (removed from tank) when doing water changes.

Bogwood is a good way of lowering PH in tanks. Another good way is Catappa Leaves (available in good pet stores or online).

Another tip for you is this stuff (EasyLife Fluid Filter Medium). I've been using it the last few years and it's excellent for keeping your water in top condition:
    http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/fish/pond/water_treatments/126503

There is a good website (www.irishfishkeepers.com) which is great for helpful info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Senor Willy

I never change my filter sponges.
    Agree with the other lads and just rinse them in a bucket of tank water
    every few weeks.

Using pH down is a disaster waiting to happen. These products should not be
    sold IMO. It is much easier and safer to raise the pH than to lower it.
    Lowering the pH just a few degrees can be lethal.

Bogwood and Catappa leaves are safe and will lower it gradually.
    They will stain your water with Tanins though and not everyone likes to
    look at a tank that looks like you dropped some T bags into.
    If you have the facilities to premix your water and you know what
    you are doing than ro water is good.
    If you are unsure than leave it alone.

The safest thing to do is to match your fish to your water and not the other
    way round.

PS. What is your pH and gh.

Advertisement