Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Safety Camera Download

Options
  • 09-03-2011 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

I have paid and downloaded the Garmin Safety Cameras onto my sat nav (Nuvi 1410). I have checked that it is on the sat nav and that the bleep tone is activated. But I have just driven through a safety camera zone and it didnt alert me.

Also I thought that i would be able to view the safety camera hot spots on the maps but it doesnt show anything.

So what have I paid for then?? Should the safety camera zones be shown on the maps and why did it not bleep or alert me when I travelled on a road which is a safety camera hotspot. Does it just alert when there is an actual speed camera in operation as opposed to a stretch of road where a camera might be.

Very confused and no info about it on the website. So please help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I've not bought a subscription because I found the last one very similar to what you describe.

In my case I have fixed areas, nothing showed on the map but my device precedes the 1410 substantially. I used to get the beep and the green travel guide turned red.

But not always where it should. My info is largely out of date, but I did not subscribe when I got a new unit recently and if other reports support yours, I won't be in a hurry to either.

I'll watch this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Me too, I got the free trial and only ever saw one alert - on the N11 beside RTE - and that had the wrong speed limit. It looks to be as though Garmin enabled the feature but didn't bother to create a comprehensive Irish database.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭lukejr

I have just downloaded the trial for this for the 2011.4 maps on my Garmin 1310 sat nav, and it doesn't alert me to any of the speed areas that are listed o the mobile speed cameras on the Garda website.

I am very glad I didn't buy it and just got the trial.

Looks like Garmin fails yet again at any attempt to serve Irish customers. Which third part POIs are best and most up to date for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 fonzie01

I too subscribed to the speed camera alerts from garmin. whilst the price was a mere 23euro for the year, with regular updates, all the speed alerts are incorrect. i am getting them in the correct positions, but given the wrong speed limits....eg when the speed limit is 100kmh, the alert is saying 161kmh..so im never getting a sound from the device because theyre all way too high. i have told Garmin and Cyclops about this problem and they say they are looking into it and a cure to rectify the problem, however this has been going on for months and still no cure. My Garmin is the defunct nuvi860 model which is stuffed with features and is great....when it works...but thats another story! In short, dont bother subscribing to the speed alerts. Which brings me to a question....is there any way to remove it from the sat nav unit?..anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭GiftGrub100

At last someone else has the same issue, I have a Garmin Nuvi250W to which I subscribe to the safety camera alerts, like the previous poster Fonzie, i have contacted Garmin and Cyclops with pictures etc, paid to have the unit serviced (ie replaced by another refurbished unit) and wasted many hours updating and removing software.

The Nuvi knows the exact location of all the safey camera areas however it never alerts with the ping and red band on top, all I get is the little camera logo in the top corner of the unit. There is only one location in Ireland where the alert has worked properly and that is in Dublin off the M50 around the southern cross area on college park way and kilcross square. The alerts have not worked anywhere else between Cork, Dublin and Rosslare.

Ironically as soon as I get off the ferry in Fishguard it works perfectly, picking up all safety cameras, specs units etc and does not miss a beat, as soon as i return, it decides that the speed limit near Kilrane is in excess of 161kmh and then you get no audible alerts like you get in the UK.

I shall be getting onto Garmin again, as they seemed to know nothing about my problem.

To remove the subscription follow these instructions and stop when the software is removed (provided by Garmin support)

If you have successfully installed the Cyclops Safety Camera region to
    your device but are failing to receive any proximity warnings, or if you
    are receiving any sort of error, you may need to remove and re-install
    the download.

To do this, you will first need to remove the subscription from your
    device:

Windows Operating System:

Connect your GPS unit to a PC via USB cable
    Open My Computer
    Right-click on the unit's drive once it appears
    Double click the Garmin folder
    Double click the POI folder
    Delete the gpi file corresponding to your subscribed region.
    Mac:

Connect your GPS unit to a Mac via USB cable
    Open the Garmin drive on your desktop
    Double click the Garmin folder
    Double click the POI folder
    Delete the gpi file corresponding to your subscribed region
    Once the file has been deleted, the device will need to be run through
    WebUpdater to ensure that the latest software is installed on the
    device. Please visit the WebUpdater page to download the application and
    proceed with the update.

Once the device software has been updated, safely disconnect the device
    from computer to ensure that the update completes and then connect the
    device back to the computer via USB cable. You will need to log back
    into your myGarmin account to install the Safety Camera update. Once
    logged into your account, select the myExtras tab to be taken to the
    Safety Camera page. Once installed, safely disconnect your device from
    computer and the Safety Cameras should now be successfully updated.

To check that the updates have been transferred correctly, please
    perform the following:

Turn your device on
    Touch Tools
    Touch Settings
    Touch System
    Touch About
    Within this section, you should find the corresponding Cyclops Safety
    Camera subscription.

Notifications for traffic or web cameras are not included. These cameras
    are not used by law enforcement and are only used for controlling
    traffic. These are often confused for red light cameras and will not
    provide an alert.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that bit of advice Gift Grub. Only last night, i uninstalled the safety camera download, and then installed it again (it was due an update anyhow.) Hey presto, the speeds are now all warning correctly...i.e. when in a 100kmh zone...its warning 100kmh safety camera zone- if im doing 101kmh, it sounds an alert. Before it was saying 161kmh for 100, 80kmh for 50 etc. So whilst that now works, it leaves me with another problem. Because my nuvi860 has an FM transmitter built in , going into a camera zone, causes the transmitter to switch on for a sound alert, which in turn causes the sat nav to freeze/crash...something the 800 series is notorious for i believe.....i give up!!

No problem Fonzie01, I have been in contact with Garmin and Cyclops over the last two weeks with two very helpful staff members and it seems to have worked, we may now have a fully functioning system for the Irish market.

As for you units problem, can the FM transmitter function be switched off, we have a Nuvi 760 at work and it can be disabled on the unit.

I will be updating my unit and testing it after the weekend. If it works as it should I will be very happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭pflanagan132

Hi folks. I have just bought a Garmin nuvi 1410 sat nav. The unit works fine but does not appear to be compatible with my phone, a 1 year old Samsung Wave. Both phone and sat nav pair no problem. When I click "phone" on sat nav it bypasses "phonebook" and goes to "points of interest" almost every time.
    I took the Garmin back to the shop but it worked fine with staff members phones. I contacted Garmin and Samsung, but neither were of any help.
    I tried a new Samsung in the Vodafone shop, same problem.
    Can anybody with the same sat nav recommend a smartphone, preferably Samsung which will work with this sat nav, or suggest any way of overcoming the problem with my current phone? Patrick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Hi folks. I have just bought a Garmin nuvi 1410 sat nav.

I've an open complaint with Garmin over the 1490 not opening the phone book on the iPhone any model. It will occasionally and especially after a firmware update and a full shut down of the phone and sat nav so they reboot together.

but it does not stick. My other Garmin and Sony units don't have a problem so it's the 14xx series, google the problem and you'll find hundreds of complaints.

Just to add to you story, you'll find the built in antenna lacking too and there is no socket for remote antenna.

Cheers Giftgrub. Yes i can disable the transmitter and that appears to cure the crashing problem, However the built in speaker is terrible and it is near impossible to hear a caller via the bluetooth. Much better with the transmitter on. The only other way to stop the unit from freezing is to leave the mp3 player running - hence the transmitter stays on.

Cant help anyone with the 14xx series. i use a samsung phone with with my 860 and theyre extremely well behaved together - except there is no texting function. Other than that no problems. Very strange these sat nav units

• Advertisement

Have reinstalled and tested the Safety Camera dowload for IRELAND and I can also confirm it now works on the Nuvi 250W, all alerts and speeds are present and it works where the cameras are located, on all roads from Cork to Dublin via Rosslare anyway.

Well worth the money subscribing to this system, if you have had issues before take the latest update and you should be alerted to the locations of safety cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭stedeb

hi guys
    i have the nuvi 1310t and it has the cameras preinstalled but only warns when at a much higher speed ie st 95 for 60 kph road also the main problem only recently it seems to be off sync i mean not accurate gps about 10 meters off anyone know how to fix this.
    cant seem to find recallibrate on the unit .
    thanks
    ste

With regard to the 1310T I presume you will need to download the new safety camera updates, which are finally working properly, this should give you accurate safety camera alerts.

As for recalibrating the unit I presume that it can be reset by holding the bottom right hand corner of the screen while turning the unit on, and then place the unit it a window or on the car dash for 30 mins to let it find the satellites again.

Advertisement