Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That Religion Thing?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

I'm an agnostic, bordering on full atheism. Used to be semi-religious until recent enough (well, up until the last couple of years), as in I'd continue to go to mass if called upon (for the once-a-year Christmas visit) and cling onto whatever lingering hope I had of there being a god.

To be honest though, that was the main reason for it, hope. Hope that there was something better to come after the drudgery of this life. That sounds horribly melodramatic -- and awfully self-interested -- but anyway...

Now I've stopped all that: I know full well that it's ludicrous to imagine an after-life and that there's some fellow living in the clouds who's somehow omnipresent and righteous and so on. Still though, I can't fully dismiss it, nor can I say I don't think about it at all anymore. I'm 99% a disbeliever, but can't get the remaining one percent of a niggling doubt to feck off.

Who knows, maybe one day I'll be walking in a field and have an amazing epiphany akin to someone from a Tolstoy novel. :pac:

Agree completely with the disparaging comments about the silly rules and whatnot. A friend and I were walking along a busy corridor in college yesterday and he stopped halfway and had what appeared to be a mental breakdown, basically groaning out loud and clutching his head in self-hate. The reason for this? It was Ash Wednesday and he had eaten some chicken. He's not overly religious but I found it hilarious (I burst out laughing) that someone could get so worked up about a stupid rule like that.

Also, I could never accept the idea of an almighty god whom we all have to be subordinate to. Have to praise him constantly in prayer and worship. F*ck that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

And my opinion is that anyone who needs religion in their life is pathetic, so much so I feel sorry for them that they need fairytales to get on with life, and can't actually think for themself.

My opinion is that anyone who feels the need to criticise the beliefs of others should take a really long look at themselves.

I mean, really? How do you know that people who believe in some sort of higher being can't think for themselves, haven't DECIDED to believe off their own bat? Funny thing is, I know several people who have become atheists only to become Catholics/believers in general again at a later stage. So I think they've made their own minds up.

I'm in a course full of science-minded people. In fact, in studying maths I'm studying one of the most pure forms of logic. Yet, there are people with very strong religious beliefs in my class. Now, being an atheist, I struggle to find their reasoning behind it, I really do. But I have no problem with it. For some people, it's a comforting thought to believe that a god exists. I seek my comfort elsewhere, but I don't presume to call people pathetic for having beliefs that I don't necessarily attest to.

I don't mean to offend here, but I'm really incensed by that remark. Look, I don't give a flying fuck what anyone believes in. But I don't think either side should try to force their beliefs on the other. As randy said, "The freedom to believe and the freedom NOT to believe are the two sides of the same coin."

Oh, and to address the original idea of the thread: As I said, I'm an atheist. But even if a God did exist, I wouldn't care! Wonderful apathy. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

I felt uncomfortable voting for Agnostic on that poll because you put (because we just don't know)...Religion/God whatever doesn't factor into my mind at all ever. I just don't care at all, atheists get too worked up about it for me! I believe in the science aspect of it obviously.

Aoibheann wrote: »
    My opinion is that anyone who feels the need to criticise the beliefs of others should take a really long look at themselves.

I mean, really? How do you know that people who believe in some sort of higher being can't think for themselves, haven't DECIDED to believe off their own bat? Funny thing is, I know several people who have become atheists only to become Catholics/believers in general again at a later stage. So I think they've made their own minds up.

I'm in a course full of science-minded people. In fact, in studying maths I'm studying one of the most pure forms of logic. Yet, there are people with very strong religious beliefs in my class. Now, being an atheist, I struggle to find their reasoning behind it, I really do. But I have no problem with it. For some people, it's a comforting thought to believe that a god exists. I seek my comfort elsewhere, but I don't presume to call people pathetic for having beliefs that I don't necessarily attest to.

I don't mean to offend here, but I'm really incensed by that remark. Look, I don't give a flying fuck what anyone believes in. But I don't think either side should try to force their beliefs on the other. As randy said, "The freedom to believe and the freedom NOT to believe are the two sides of the same coin."

Oh, and to address the original idea of the thread: As I said, I'm an atheist. But even if a God did exist, I wouldn't care! Wonderful apathy. :P
    Also, Aoibheann's post reminded that, if people believe in Religion, thats their opinion it doesn't bother me. Just please, PLEASE don't start asking why I don't believe in God (like my religion teacher)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

I just don't care at all, atheists get too worked up about it for me! I believe in the science aspect of it obviously.

To be fair, no part of being an atheist requires you to care whether there's a god, you just have to not believe in one.

Likewise you don't have to care about evidence or science, just most atheists, or at least the ones who argue about it a lot, tend to care about it.
    As a counterexample these guys believe that we were placed here by aliens and that the bible contains coded messages from or about these aliens; but they don't believe in god(s), making them as atheist as I am (but in my opinion not quite as mentally stable).
    A less crazy counterexample would be that a lot of Buddhists are also Atheist, because while they have a religion, and in most cases beliefs about the supernatural and stuff like that, they don't necessarily believe in god(s).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

One way or another - I'm a scientist, and have been primarily scientifically minded most of my life. Needless to say I'm an athiest
    Needless to say? Just because you are scientifically minded, doesn't automatically equate to having no religious beliefs. There are many examples of people like that out there, even Einstein held some religious beliefs (albeit, rather difficult to define, pantheist beliefs).

Pygmalion wrote: »
    To be fair, no part of being an atheist requires you to care whether there's a god, you just have to not believe in one.

Likewise you don't have to care about evidence or science, just most atheists, or at least the ones who argue about it a lot, tend to care about it.
    As a counterexample these guys believe that we were placed here by aliens and that the bible contains coded messages from or about these aliens; but they don't believe in god(s), making them as atheist as I am (but in my opinion not quite as mentally stable).
    A less crazy counterexample would be that a lot of Buddhists are also Atheist, because while they have a religion, and in most cases beliefs about the supernatural and stuff like that, they don't necessarily believe in god(s).
    Yeah true brah, have a look at the Atheist forum, every post has a minimum 1000 words! Well I have Religious ideals and I think a Religion like Buddism can only promote good things but I just don't have enough passion for it to argue about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I'm sure the majority of people here find homophobic/racist views pathetic (whatever justification the holder of such views tries to use) and I happen to find belief in sky fairies and gnomes pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

IMO religion is nothing more than something thought up of by people to make life (and death) not seem so scary, especially to children. I mean, come on - Someone dies and they go to this amazing, peaceful, tranquil place in the sky?:rolleyes: And my opinion is that anyone who needs religion in their life is pathetic, so much so I feel sorry for them that they need fairytales to get on with life, and can't actually think for themself.
    I'm very scientifically minded as well and I have to disagree.just out of curiosity what would your opinion be on something else intangible,like luck? Or something like faith in another person?[As in believing Obama can make a difference or something like that] would you also see that as pathetic?

I would agree that the thought of an afterlife in the clouds is a bit hard to swallow however I can't see the downside in having something to give hope to someone.Whether that's some possibly fictional guy from 2,000 years ago or some well spoken politician/athlete right now,people need someone/thing to believe in.

That and the lessons in morality taught by religions are crucial for a well rounded individual,i think.there are other ways of instilling good values to your kids but organised religion is by far the easiest I can see

It wasn't directed at me but I gotta bite. :pac:
    I'm very scientifically minded as well and I have to disagree.just out of curiosity what would your opinion be on something else intangible,like luck?
    Of course luck "exists" depending on how you define it.
    Or something like faith in another person?[As in believing Obama can make a difference or something like that] would you also see that as pathetic?
    I said several times during the election that that was pathetic. See here:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

amacachi wrote: »
    Are you a teacher by any chance?
    I'm not a primary / post-primary teacher, if that's what you mean? ... nor have I ever been.

That said, in several quite different roles, the word "education" (in it's very broadest sense) has probably always appeared *somewhere* in the job descriptions, probably one of the few words which would have been common to all of them!!

Why?! :confused:

I'm not a primary / post-primary teacher, if that's what you mean? ... nor have I ever been.

That said, in several quite different roles, the word "education" (in it's very broadest sense) has probably always appeared *somewhere* in the job descriptions, probably one of the few words which would have been common to all of them!!

Why?! :confused:

Just practicing my Derren Brown based on what you were saying. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

I'm supposedly a Catholic, though I've grown fairly apathetic about organised religion over the past few years and now I don't really know where I stand any more. I do believe that our universe is a strange aul' one, as universes go, and that there could be a much larger picture, hidden just about but forever out of our sight. Maybe a God could be responsible for all the unlikely rules our lives have to follow, or maybe the rules themselves are a kind of God? Hmm, I hoped I wouldn't descend into rambling nonsensery within my first paragraph, sorry about that. :p I suppose I'm agnostic, if I were to put a ribbon on it.

I used to believe really strongly when I was younger, but I got disillusioned over time. A few years ago, my brother decided that he'd prefer being a Protestant. My mum was horrified by this, having grown up with all kinds of horrible, bigoted notions about a denomination that has almost exactly the same set of beliefs as Catholicism. She all but disowned him for a few years, completely shattered his confidence and self-worth, and there was this awful, awful atmosphere that lingered whenever my brother and my mum were in the same room. It was just so horrible... and all because of something so petty! So, that changed my views about religion a lot. I just didn't feel the same about it at all, I lost all enthusiasm for going to mass and would pretend to sleep in so that I wouldn't have to go but wouldn't have to confront my parents about it either.

Even though I can get really frustrated with religion and the ways it inspires war, injustice, prejudice, phobia, and hate, and so on, I still think it's a valuable part of humanity. Fundamentally, religion represents and teaches the best of human intentions, that we should love and treat one another with respect. You can't really find fault with an idea like that, and people who follow it in a considerate, genuine way do make the world better. The basic message is a good one, but things can go horribly wrong when people misinterpret religious texts or use them to defend their intolerance. Intolerance works both ways, too... self-righteous, dogmatic atheists are just as bad as any other kind of extremist.

Studying physics for the past couple of years has given me a tiny idea of how little we currently know about the way stuff works, and how what we hope to learn is also, ultimately bounded. I don't believe we can ever prove or disprove the existence of a higher entity, much like how we can understand that matter gravitates towards itself but never understand why it's in Nature's nature to do so. So, I think everyone's entitled to their own beliefs provided they treat others' with as much respect. Decent, considerate people should never be ridiculed for their faith or lack thereof, and you can shove Russell's teapot up your universally extrinsic orifice if you think otherwise. :P

As for an afterlife, or stuffs like that, I have a couple of views. Some are conventional, and others involve crazy, parallel universe sort of stuff that I won't get into because it's incredibly, embarrassingly stupid. :P Mostly I think that whatever happens, happens. Whatever existence has in store for us when we die is what awaits us, so, everything will be the way it should be. Death is sad and terrifying, but it could be kind of beautiful too, in a strange way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

Like nearly everyone else here I've had your pretty typical Catholic upbringing and I'm still forced into going to Mass nearly every Sunday. I've stopped trying to argue about it and wriggle my way out of going to Mass by now, my parents, my Mam, in particular are fairly religious. She goes to the morning Mass nearly every weekday morning too.

There was a slight uproar in my house lately about my sister's wedding (which is next week). She's getting married to someone who isn't a catholic but I think is some other branch of christianity and also was still waiting ofr this seeration from his last wife to come through. There was some complication with th epaperwork and if it hadn't came through in time, they woudn't have been allowed to have their wedding in a catholic church, which left my parents saying that if she wasn't getting married in a church, then they weren't going to the wedding at all.

I have no problem with religion and everyone can believe in whatever they want to believe in, one of my best friends who moved away was a Muslim sure and no one in our class in school ever seemed to have any kind of problem with it. There were 3 or 4 Muslim girls in my class last year and we were pretty supportive actually, at least I think we were.

Although right now, I suppose that I don't really believe in anything or any God, although I do have my odd moment when I want something so badly that I just do have a silent prayer to who/what ever is out there, if anything at all.

I think I was one of the few people in my class who didn't get ashes this year when they were being given out at lunch. Nearly everyone else went and some of them were nearly talking about it all day but I just didn't feel the compulsion to get t hem, they really have no meaning to me at this moment, maybe in a few years time but not right now. The same with confessions before Easter last year. Anyone who went got to get out of class but again, I was one of the few who didn't go. There has always been something that just put me off about sitting there telling a priest about your wrong doings, especially when I had nothing major to say to him.

The only somewhat religious thing that I do is bless myself eery time I go ut our front door, but I think it's just a habit that I've gotten into because we've always had a little holy water font thing inside the front door. I think that I just do it out of habit and if I go out without doing it I have to go back in and do it.

Also as I'm typing this I can see a holy water bottle in the shape of Mary on the shelf across from me, it's full but I've hardly ever used it except in the moments os silent prayer for something really important.

I'm sure the majority of people here find homophobic/racist views pathetic (whatever justification the holder of such views tries to use)
    Indeed ... and just as I would not discriminate against or ridicule someone because they were gay or (say) Chinese, neither would I do so because they were Catholic, Quaker or Hindu.

I have been known however to ridicule those who are bigots, whether that bigotry involves racism, or homophobia, or the assumption that those of a particular religion are superior to and in some way "know better" than others, or indeed the assumption that those of no religion are superior to / know better than others ... it's all bigotry of a type! :)
    Just practicing my Derren Brown based on what you were saying. :)
    Um, not doing all that well then, I'm afraid! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

MavisDavis wrote: »
    That's the thing, though: logic isn't really a big part of religious faith. Faith is the key word. It's a trust thing, isn't it? It's a personal belief and hope, rather than a logical argument.

I don't understand it myself, but there you go. I'm not going to insult people on that basis, though.
    The fact that it's not based on rational thought or logical argument is exactly a reason why a position of blind faith is open to so much criticism and ridicule. I think it's a ludicrous notion that a faith based position should be protected from attack just because holding that position makes some people feel good. I wouldn't go as far as to call anybody who's religious pathetic or insult them but I should have the freedom to be overly critical of their views.

There is an element of danger in keeping faith-based/emotionally-driven ideas equal in status to logical/reason-based arguments. It does not set a good precedent.
    Because the freedom to believe and the freedom NOT to believe are the two sides of the same coin.

That's what "freedom of religion" really means ... that you have the freedom to believe or not to believe, without interference or bullying or pressure or ridicule.
    I would have thought freedom of religion was about allowing people to hold certain religious views and (unobstructive) religious practices without being persecuted by the state on such grounds. I don't think it's fair that they be protected from criticism or ridicule however and in a way that seems to infringe more on others' freedom of speech.

In essence I would think religious freedoms should merely be a subset of general freedom, that is you are entitled to think what you like and do what you like so long as you are not infringing on the freedom of others. In this case that does not mean that you are free from having your beliefs and opinions criticised or ridiculed by others. Religious views should not be afforded special protection, no more so than a newspaper columnist that expresses some outlandish ridiculous view and would in most cases be considered open to criticism and ridicule.

Aoibheann wrote: »
    I disagree, nobody should ever be dissuaded from exercising critical thought. Feeling the need to be critical of the beliefs of others shows that one exercises a healthy degree of skepticism. I don't think a view point needs to be protected from critical analysis just because it makes somebody feel good. We should not be promoting a view because it feels good over the actual truth, such a thing can only be a disservice to us all.

Now obviously you have to show some pragmatism. There is not much benefit in trying to reason a 90 year old woman who has dedicated her whole life to religion into atheism. However I'll still take the opportunity to be openly critical of what in my opinion essentially amounts to magical thinking if it arises even if I don't win friends by doing so.

Indeed ... and just as I would not discriminate against or ridicule someone because they were gay or (say) Chinese, neither would I do so because they were Catholic, Quaker or Hindu.
    Bit difference between what race someone is born and their refusal to think critically about something.
    I have been known however to ridicule those who are bigots, whether that bigotry involves racism, or homophobia, or the assumption that those of a particular religion are superior to and in some way "know better" than others, or indeed the assumption that those of no religion are superior to / know better than others ... it's all bigotry of a type! :)
    You're a bigot against bigots and I'm a pacifist bigot for wanting to free prople, that'll do.
    Um, not doing all that well then, I'm afraid! :pac:
    Wasn't too far off basing it off of one post I don't think. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Ok, I just want to clarify a few things.
    Jackobyte wrote: »
    In relation to other people's religion, I think they are naive for believing in it but I wouldn't try to change them or push atheism on them.
    There have been a lot of posts saying they'd never ridicule someone for their religion. When I said this, I didn't mean I would ridicule them but that in my own head, I'd think they were a bit naive. I'd never say anything to them though.

That said though, if I was to marry a religious person, I wouldn't mind allowing my children be baptized and brought up through religion, as long as they are allowed make their own choice after their confirmation.

That said though, if I was to marry a religious person, I wouldn't mind allowing my children be baptized and brought up through religion, as long as they are allowed make their own choice after their confirmation.

Better not be Catholic then, can't leave the Church without being excommunicated now and the only obvious ways I've come across are murdering a priest/bishop or desecrating the Eucharist. One could be a life sentence the other would be an interesting test case of the Blasphemy legislation. :pac:

Davidius wrote: »
    I would have thought freedom of religion was about allowing people to hold certain religious views and (unobstructive) religious practices without being persecuted by the state on such grounds. I don't think it's fair that they be protected from criticism or ridicule however and in a way that seems to infringe more on others' freedom of speech.

In essence I would think religious freedoms should merely be a subset of general freedom, that is you are entitled to think what you like and do what you like so long as you are not infringing on the freedom of others. In this case that does not mean that you are free from having your beliefs and opinions criticised or ridiculed by others. Religious views should not be afforded special protection, no more so than a newspaper columnist that expresses some outlandish ridiculous view and would in most cases be considered open to criticism and ridicule.
    Yes. That. ^^

Who here hasn't thought Scientology to be a ridiculous religion at one stage or another? Why should such an outlandish tale (recognized as religion in the US) be considered above criticism? I wouldn't ridicule someone for their religion (as long as its not scientology) but I still wouldn't treat it as fact and would point out the flaws in it in a debate on religion.

Scientology "beliefs"
    Hubbard wrote that Xenu was the ruler of a Galactic Confederacy 75 million years ago, which consisted of 26 stars and 76 planets including Earth, which was then known as "Teegeeack". The planets were overpopulated, with an average population of 178 billion. The Galactic Confederacy's civilization was comparable to our own, with aliens "walking around in clothes which looked very remarkably like the clothes they wear this very minute" and using cars, trains and boats looking exactly the same as those "circa 1950, 1960" on Earth.
    Xenu was about to be deposed from power, so he devised a plot to eliminate the excess population from his dominions. With the assistance of psychiatrists, he summoned billions of his citizens together under the pretense of income tax inspections, then paralyzed them and froze them in a mixture of alcohol and glycol to capture their souls. The kidnapped populace was loaded into spacecraft for transport to the site of extermination, the planet of Teegeeack (Earth). The appearance of these spacecraft would later be subconsciously expressed in the design of the Douglas DC-8, the only difference being: "the DC8 had fans, propellers on it and the space plane didn't". When they had reached Teegeeack/Earth, the paralyzed citizens were unloaded around the bases of volcanoes across the planet. Hydrogen bombs were then lowered into the volcanoes and detonated simultaneously. Only a few aliens' physical bodies survived. Hubbard described the scene:

Simultaneously, the planted charges erupted. Atomic blasts ballooned from the craters of Loa, Vesuvius, Shasta, Washington, Fujiyama, Etna, and many, many others. Arching higher and higher, up and outwards, towering clouds mushroomed, shot through with flashes of flame, waste and fission. Great winds raced tumultuously across the face of Earth, spreading tales of destruction...

The now-disembodied victims' souls, which Hubbard called thetans, were blown into the air by the blast. They were captured by Xenu's forces using an "electronic ribbon" ("which also was a type of standing wave") and sucked into "vacuum zones" around the world. The hundreds of billions of captured thetans were taken to a type of cinema, where they were forced to watch a "three-D, super colossal motion picture" for thirty-six days. This implanted what Hubbard termed "various misleading data"' (collectively termed the R6 implant) into the memories of the hapless thetans, "which has to do with God, the Devil, space opera, et cetera". This included all world religions, with Hubbard specifically attributing Roman Catholicism and the image of the Crucifixion to the influence of Xenu. The two "implant stations" cited by Hubbard were said to have been located on Hawaii and Las Palmas in the Canary Islands.

• Advertisement

Better not be Catholic then, can't leave the Church without being excommunicated now and the only obvious ways I've come across are murdering a priest/bishop or desecrating the Eucharist. One could be a life sentence the other would be an interesting test case of the Blasphemy legislation. :pac:
    They wouldn't have to leave the Church officially. I'm not Catholic but I've never bothered even looking into getting out. What is the point other than getting a piece of paper saying you're not in the church? To make a stand against it? I'm not really bothered either way unless it inhibits me in any way.

They wouldn't have to leave the Church officially. I'm not Catholic but I've never bothered even looking into getting out. What is the point other than getting a piece of paper saying you're not in the church? To make a stand against it? I'm not really bothered either way unless it inhibits me in any way.

When education policy is based on numbers of registered Catholics and the number of Catholics according to a census it's quite important.

There is an element of danger in keeping faith-based/emotionally-driven ideas equal in status to logical/reason-based arguments. It does not set a good precedent.
    For many centuries, those (whether religious or atheist) who followed logical/reason-based arguments *knew* that the earth was flat and that the sun revolved around it. New knowledge questioned that contemporary scientific dogma, and now we all know that the earth is a sphere and revolves around the sun.

I am not, by the way, arguing that it is likely that new knowledge will prove the existence of a god or gods. I am simply pointing out, despite my own personal predilection for logic and reason, that the logic and reason of one generation may look quite risible to the next. A blind belief in logic and reason (one might almost say the substitution of logic and reason as gods in the atheist pantheon! :p) ignores the reality that the beliefs founded on logical and rational thinking are only as valid as the known facts which underpin them.
    I would have thought freedom of religion was about allowing people to hold certain religious views and (unobstructive) religious practices without being persecuted by the state on such grounds.
    No, it's a much broader philosophical concept than that, though it's often most practically represented and codified by legal systems at that level (remember that one of the main limitations of legal systems is that they find it much easier to deal with concrete, practical examples and find broader cultural and philosophical concepts very difficult ... one of the reasons why cases in constitutional law tend to make barristers very rich!

That said, in countries like Ireland, that summary isn't very far off the mark in practice, except that I would delete the phrase "by the state" as overly restrictive.

If one was to look at a theocratic state with a state religion, however, and such have existed often in history and still exist in other parts of the world, the relationship between freedom of religion and the freedom not to be of any religion becomes much clearer, even at a basic and legalistic level.
    I don't think it's fair that they be protected from criticism or ridicule however and in a way that seems to infringe more on others' freedom of speech.
    There is definitely a balance to be maintained between freedom of religion and freedom of speech, I would agree, as there is often a balancing act involved between the various freedoms which we take for granted. Just to give an (admittedly pretty simplistic) example, I am a free man, a citizen, with the right essentially to do what I want and make my own choices ... but that freedom is balanced and curtailed by the rights of others to make their own choices and enjoy a reasonable quality of life, so I can't, for example, walk around naked to do my shopping, or drive a car through a pedestrian zone, or wander into a church and start shouting insults at the congregation.

Leaving aside the law for the moment, I would argue that if we all personally practised courtesy, tolerance and a little (un)common sense, we would live in a pretty idyllic world and wouldn't need much in the line of laws anyway. Never gonna happen, though, is it? :(
    In essence I would think religious freedoms should merely be a subset of general freedom, that is you are entitled to think what you like and do what you like so long as you are not infringing on the freedom of others.
    I agree.
    In this case that does not mean that you are free from having your beliefs and opinions criticised or ridiculed by others.
    I pretty much agree, but I would argue that it has to be almost in the Boards approach of "attack the post, not the poster". Rational, courteous argument and disagreement should always be protected. Being bloody rude about it and bullying people shouldn't. Unfortunately, when people engage in "ridicule" they often don't seem to understand where the line is between those two, which is why for example the workload of a Boards mod is often far more hassle than it should be. (I am making a general comment, btw, David, not one aimed at you, or even at this forum ... this thread would have self-destructed long ago in many forums on this site, and the General Election thread is one of the very few politics-type threads on Boards over the last few weeks which hasn't degenerated into a row between partisan demagogues).
    Religious views should not be afforded special protection ...
    On issues like the recent blasphemy law, I totally agree. The right to hold (or not to hold) religious views does seem to need special protection though, or that is what history has repeatedly taught those of us who started our careers as historians (there's a hint for amacachi! :p).
    We should not be promoting a view because it feels good over the actual truth, such a thing can only be a disservice to us all.
    Pontius Pilate: "Truth? What is truth?!"

What gives you the right to declare something as truth? Do you see yourself as an omniscient god? :p

Even at the most simple level, the nature of truth is contested. You might say to your mother "I got up early on Saturday, I was up at 10 a.m." She might accept that you were up at 10, yet to her, the "truth" is that you got up late ... because to her, 10 a.m. *is* late! Truth, far more than beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. And truth changes, and has changed many times over the centuries (see the flat earth comments above, for example). I have always had the sneaking suspicion that there is no such thing as actual truth.

/philosophy (sorry! :p)

Bit difference between what race someone is born and their refusal to think critically about something.
    But you see, to you it may be "their refusal to think critically about something", but who made you the almighty judge? Another one who is aspiring to depose god and take her place, eh? :D

Seriously, an attitude of "they're obviously refusing to think properly because they don't agree with *me*" is pretty much the same attitude as that displayed by most strongly religious people.

But then I've always thought that rational atheism had many of the hallmarks of a religion, with the possible exception of a belief in a supernatural being or beings ... and I've met a few who seemed to have subconsciously elevated Dawkins to that position! >.<
    You're a bigot against bigots ...
    Actually, I can live with that, I've often said that the one thing I can't tolerate is intolerance!
    Wasn't too far off basing it off of one post I don't think. :D
    Mmm, depends on what you understand by the word teacher, I suppose (as I've said, truth is not a constant!). What most Irish people mean in the heads when they say "teacher" ... no, I'm not and have never been that.

But you see, to you it may be "their refusal to think critically about something", but who made you the almighty judge? Another one who is aspiring to depose god and take her place, eh? :D

Seriously, an attitude of "they're obviously refusing to think properly because they don't agree with *me*" is pretty much the same attitude as that displayed by most strongly religious people.

But then I've always thought that rational atheism had many of the hallmarks of a religion, with the possible exception of a belief in a supernatural being or beings ... and I've met a few who seemed to have subconsciously elevated Dawkins to that position! >.<
    Critical thinking is what gave us space travel and electronics and medicines and surgery. It isn't answering every question with "God did it", except when asked about something unpalatable.
    I don't claim to be the the judge of defining words but I'm pretty sure that "because it says so in this book" or "because the priest said it more recently than that other priest said the opposite" counts as critical thinking.

It isn't answering every question with "God did it", except when asked about something unpalatable.
    I don't claim to be the the judge of defining words but I'm pretty sure that "because it says so in this book" or "because the priest said it more recently than that other priest said the opposite" counts as critical thinking.
    No, I wouldn't really argue for that as critical thinking, all right, but that tends to be what I would call "granny theology" (though I accept that in this respect many priests tend to be grannies!)

Many atheists over the centuries have come to religion through critical thinking, though, including eminent scientists ... usually because they found it impossible to believe that the universe, evolution, etc. all just happened without an underlying plan.

Personally, I don't know, but I will defend freedom of religion to the last, because, as I said, the freedom to believe and the freedom NOT to believe are the two sides of the same coin. And in defending freedom of religion I'm also defending your right not to believe! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

For many centuries, those (whether religious or atheist) who followed logical/reason-based arguments *knew* that the earth was flat and that the sun revolved around it. New knowledge questioned that contemporary scientific dogma, and now we all know that the earth is a sphere and revolves around the sun.

Well the people who followed logical/reason-based arguments generally changed their minds and admitted they were wrong when presented with new evidence about these things.
    Those guided by faith and emotion often resisted new evidence fiercely and in many cases persecuted those who spread knowledge of the new discoveries/theories.

Pretty major difference there, beliefs founded on logical and rational thinking may be "only as valid as the known facts which underpin them" but beliefs based on faith alone can't come close to even this; and the willingness to revise your idea when new facts present themselves is a major part of logical/rational decision making IMO, not nearly as much as belief based on faith (after all, if your "faith" is shattered every time evidence rears its ugly head I'm not sure you can still call it faith-based belief).
    Rational, courteous argument and disagreement should always be protected. Being bloody rude about it and bullying people shouldn't.

I think we're all (well, mostly) agreed on that, but not everyone is agreed on where the line is.
    It's hard to make any serious argument or complaint about religion (either in general or related to a specific issue) without someone claiming you're being aggressive or discriminating.
    Even at the most simple level, the nature of truth is contested. You might say to your mother "I got up early on Saturday, I was up at 10 a.m." She might accept that you were up at 10, yet to her, the "truth" is that you got up late ... because to her, 10 a.m. *is* late! Truth, far more than beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. And truth changes, and has changed many times over the centuries (see the flat earth comments above, for example). I have always had the sneaking suspicion that there is no such thing as actual truth.

/philosophy (sorry! :p)

Well there you're not making a distinction between objective and subjective truth.

"I got up early on Saturday" may be true to you and not to your mother, because "early" isn't well defined and relies on our own interpretation (unless we can get everyone to agree on what time period constitutes "early", I recommend any time before 2PM).
    On the other hand "I was up at 10AM on Saturday" is either true or false, belief doesn't come into it (unless for some reason you believe that they're talking about a different timezone or calendar system etc., but these can be clarified if needed).

We may not ever be able to agree on what actions are "right" and what actions are "wrong", we simply have to try and come up with a system that hopefully won't cause as much problems as others (IMO one not based heavily on books encouraging slavery and glorifying genocide would be good).
    On the other hand, we don't have to "agree" on issues such as the shape of the earth, the existence of certain things or whether we were created in a week or over millions of years.
    These are things we can (and do) seek out evidence of and develop informed ideas of, if there is no credible evidence of something we start to question whether it's the most likely explanation, if there is evidence of something it reinforces our belief in it; and most importantly, if new evidence contradicts old evidence we have to stop and think what it could mean and whether the theory still holds up, rather than covering our ears and insisting we already know the answer.
    As for the flat earth example, that wasn't the truth changing, that was our understanding changing, we believed it to be the truth for a long time, but it was never actually true, we were simply incorrect for a long period of time, and for quite a while after that people resisted the new evidence and tried to ignore it.

As for gods, while I don't claim we can currently (or perhaps ever) prove or disprove the existence of a supernatural being, it's something with no evidence to back it up, despite most believers claiming he (or she, or they) had a major role to play in the formation of the world/universe.
    As for specific religions, all the major ones (and their associated holy books) tend to claim quite specific things about God's actions and their consequences; in these cases evidence actually is found on a quite regular basis calling these things into question, usually met at first with denial, then by reinterpretation, and finally by ignoring it or demoting the action in question from dogma to metaphor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭grrrrrrrrrr

Well i was a catholic because of my mum and dad but know one in my family is catholic anymore because we all just think its a pack of lies and crap that was made up over 2000 years ago and way do we still have to believe in it in this day and age. If you where a real catholic you cant have sex before marriage is the bigist Cra.p i have i think the catholic religion has come on like. Also with what the people in the catholic religion done to children was just wrong and they still wont say they did all does things to them that to me are sick sick Fuc.kers Anyway i met a person the same age as me how is 100% catholic at our age i think he/she was int well in the head.
    No meat today has one thing i had a nice steak today for lunch with my girlfriend who had the same and two old people where turn there noses up at us while we where eating it and she had ash on her forehead really old school catholic and i told her what the hell are you looking at its a steak and the old one told me that way was i not eating fish today because you have to. I told her back well i aMm free to do anything i like. But she then said your catholic and you must believe in it our your going to hell. I told her back i am also having sex with my girlfriend and using condoms to so i must be going to hell for that and also you believe in your funny little cult. Everyone in the restaurant clapped me on for what i was saying. This was my 1st public outburst at someone because i am playing 20 euro for my steak i going to enjoy every bit of and i only get to see my girlfriend two days a weak if its a good weak But anyway the catholic religion is a cult to me and always well be because why do we have to believe in a book in this day and age that i think was made up to make money in the 1st place as a tax

You really told her. Haha.
    I don't mind people being religious but dont force it on others.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Alright, who else clicked "Pink Atari Jaguar"? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

I clicked roman catholic coz I believe in god fully, no doubts really! I pray to god everynight and whatnot. I find that I can speak to and find confidence in him/her/it in both hard situations and good ones :)

Advertisement