Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That Religion Thing?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

I clicked agnostic, I don't spend an awful lot of time worrying about whether god exists really. If someone wants to believe in all of that I don't mind as long as they're not shoving it down my throat, the aspect of organised religion I dislike the most is fundamentalists who think that it justifies them being racist, homophobic, closed-minded 'down with this sort of thing' types. I guess I'm secular too, I think the Catholic church still has too much power and influence in Ireland as much as some people try to claim the opposite...blasphemy law tbh. So yeah I actually sound a lot less apathetic than I actually am...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

amacachi wrote: »
    When education policy is based on numbers of registered Catholics and the number of Catholics according to a census it's quite important.
    I hadn't thought of that. Bur if it is census based, you can put down whatever religion you feel you are. I doubt they are going to ask for a cert to verify that you aren't catholic if you put atheist on your census form.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I'm a very very skeptical agnostic. I don't believe in anything supernatural at all, and generally I'd look down on someone who does. Religion is different in my mind from believing in horoscopes or the likes however, even if I consider it equally silly. Some of the smartest people I've known were religious and they seemed to find belief from looking at the exact same evidence that didn't convince me so I'm really not sure what to make of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

I'm a very very skeptical agnostic. I don't believe in anything supernatural at all, and generally I'd look down on someone who does.

But why though? If people find comfort in it and it helps them in their lives, all the power to them. However, if anyone started to push their beliefs on me I wouldn't accept it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

kev9100 wrote: »
    But why though? If people find comfort in it and it helps them in their lives, all the power to them. However, if anyone started to push their beliefs on me I wouldn't accept it at all.

Not necessarily religion, as I said I view that differently. But people who believe in horoscopes or other such obvious nonsense well I have very little respect for them.

Religion isn't a viewpoint I'd always respect but I wouldn't judge someone for being religious unless they tried to push it on others, or used it as an excuse for bigotry. For example one of my best friends is very religious but he mostly keeps it to himself as a personal matter, and thats the way it should be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

For many centuries, those (whether religious or atheist) who followed logical/reason-based arguments *knew* that the earth was flat and that the sun revolved around it. New knowledge questioned that contemporary scientific dogma, and now we all know that the earth is a sphere and revolves around the sun.

I am not, by the way, arguing that it is likely that new knowledge will prove the existence of a god or gods. I am simply pointing out, despite my own personal predilection for logic and reason, that the logic and reason of one generation may look quite risible to the next. A blind belief in logic and reason (one might almost say the substitution of logic and reason as gods in the atheist pantheon! :p) ignores the reality that the beliefs founded on logical and rational thinking are only as valid as the known facts which underpin them.
    I'm not entirely I'm sure I understand your point. I do not see what would be objectionable about a flat earth model at a time where it was the simplest model conceivable and they had not come across any contradictory evidence (which they did early enough AFAIK). While a belief that the Earth was spherical might have been ultimately correct it would still be questionable for it to be assumed true in the absence of evidence. By the same token they could just assume true many other ultimately false notions. Reason and logical argument are still useful tools in this instance in that they allow us to see where the model works and where it fails/is unsupported enabling further assessment and an improved model later on.

I'm not familiar with pre-classical era science and for all I know many may have concluded that the Earth was flat on an illogical basis. I'm doubtful that logical arguments with sensible assumptions ever concluded that the Earth was ever in near-absolution flat but rather that a flat Earth was the simplest explanation for what they had observed. Ultimately the Greeks used reason to conclude that a spherical Earth model was much more likely in the end as far as I know.

I don't really see how this changes the fact that a logical/reasoned argument is a lot more worthy of consideration than blind faith. Just because people believed something for no reason that happened to be true doesn't make it equally worthy of consideration in any practical sense.
    On issues like the recent blasphemy law, I totally agree. The right to hold (or not to hold) religious views does seem to need special protection though, or that is what history has repeatedly taught those of us who started our careers as historians (there's a hint for amacachi! :p).
    I disagree. On principle religious views should not be afforded any more protection than that which is afforded to any kind of viewpoint about anything as there is nothing objectively different about religious ideas other than the number of people who hold a conviction in them (often just because they were encouraged to). I don't see why somebody's right to think there is an all-loving creator that interferes in our lives on the basis of prayer should be protected any more than somebody's right to believe The Simpsons has gotten worse or even somebody's right to think that blacks are malevolent aliens. Everybody is entitled to think what they please regardless of its content and I don't see why an arbitrarily chosen subject of thought should be given special protection.
    Pontius Pilate: "Truth? What is truth?!"

What gives you the right to declare something as truth? Do you see yourself as an omniscient god? :p

Even at the most simple level, the nature of truth is contested. You might say to your mother "I got up early on Saturday, I was up at 10 a.m." She might accept that you were up at 10, yet to her, the "truth" is that you got up late ... because to her, 10 a.m. *is* late! Truth, far more than beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. And truth changes, and has changed many times over the centuries (see the flat earth comments above, for example). I have always had the sneaking suspicion that there is no such thing as actual truth.

/philosophy (sorry! :p)
    I'm generally ignoring the philosophy of whether reality exists or not and what is truth here because of the lack of consequence. In essence making the assumption that we are not stuck in the matrix, that this is reality essentially and that truth is basically what conforms with it.

As was pointed out the example given involved ambiguity. When I speak of promoting what is true over what makes people feel good I mean to say that it is better for us all to promote what is objectively evident even when it does not conform to the preconceptions or deeply held convictions of others. We should not pretend certain ideas are reasonable or have supporting evidence when they do not. We should also not avoid being openly critical of those ideas just because people are emotionally invested in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

I was raised Catholic and did the whole you have to go to mass every week thing. Now, I'd consider myself leaning towards being agnostic. I'm not athiest as I don't KNOW there is nothing out there, nobody can know for certain whilst they are still alive. I also find a lot of the Catholic traditions quite ridiculous. But at the same time, afetr being brought up believing in Catholicism I find it hard to just disregard all that completely.

To me, I think it is a fact that we evolved and were just not made my God, but somewhere in the back of my find I find it hard to believe that there is nothing more out there. Life just seems a bit empty if this is all there is - being born, growing old, dying, with nothing after or no other reason.

I dunno, just what I think :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

I was born and raised to be religious, got all of the sacraments etc, and honestly I'd love to believe that there's something after you die, I just can't. It seems too naive and unrealistic. Still forced to go to mass and stuff too though, which is pretty awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

That is the most random statement I have ever seen :pac:

Same! Everyone knows once you're a jew it makes you awesome. Jews > Christians + Catholics + Protestants + Atheists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

I know two Jewish girls, it seems to be a pretty cool religion, very wealthy people but they kind of deserve it, very charitable people.

• Advertisement

flyswatter wrote: »
    I know two Jewish girls, it seems to be a pretty cool religion, very wealthy people but they kind of deserve it, very charitable people.

That's a fairly sweeping stereotype though! haha

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    That's a fairly sweeping stereotype though! haha

Is it? It's the belief of the religion after all. Ireland probably needs more jewish people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

I know two Jewish girls, it seems to be a pretty cool religion

No, not really.
    very wealthy people

The entire Jewish population? :confused:
    but they kind of deserve it, very charitable people.

Again, the entire Jewish population?

Is it? It's the belief of the religion after all. Ireland probably needs more jewish people!

Ah yes, their religion says it, therefore it happens.

Same reason Christians and Muslims never steal, or get greedy, or kill, or hurt people in any way.

Their belief is that they're cool and generous? :confused:

Here was me thinking totally different, will change religion nao.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

I think you've misread Noel's post. I don't think that it's a belief of the religion to be wealthy...

Pygmalion wrote: »
    No, not really.

The entire Jewish population? :confused:

Again, the entire Jewish population?

Nah, the wealthy ones are expected to give back to charity, obviously not everyone is in the position to do that! What problems do you have with the religion?

Nah, the wealthy ones are expected to give back to charity, obviously not everyone is in the position to do that! What problems do you have with the religion?

I think it's more of a problem with your view on the religion. You seem to think all Jews' are the same or something..

Nah, the wealthy ones are expected to give back to charity, obviously not everyone is in the position to do that!

Ah, like every other major religion then.
    With about the same success rate I'd expect.
    What problems do you have with the religion?

They have these crazy stories about some mythical figure who apparently created the world and influenced world politics quite a bit.
    Just never really appealed to me that much, lots of plot-holes and contradictions, and the plot is way too slow, with too much filler.

I think they're expected to take the stories a bit too seriously too, a lot of them tend to actually believe a lot of the stuff to varying degrees, pretty scary considering all the stuff condoning murder and slavery like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

You'd hope that anyone who was in a position to would give back to charity. It's not a Jewish "thing".

Pygmalion didn't express any "problems" with Judaism. I really don't know where you got that from. From what I can see, he was just pointing out that you can't say "all Jews do this", just like you can't say "all Christians do that".

To be on topic: going out for my friend's birthday tomorrow night. Can't wait. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

The world probably needs more Jewish people, they are a tiny minority.

Of all the Judeo-Christian religions, some form a reform Judaism would probably be my choice if I actually believed in a God.... (This is based on what I studied during the Leaving (Their ideas of afterlife etc were my favourite, dont remember anything from JC level though).

Orthodox Judaism just seems like a pain....

So the thread reemerges... :P

I don't know any Jewish people so can't say anything good or bad about them.

On a completely different note, I was on a school tour last week. One of the nights, we were having a discussion in the bar and we ended up talking about religion. When I said that I was Atheist, the entire conversation changed. Within a few minutes, the conversation had turned aggressive. Some people were very annoyed that I was Atheist. I kept trying to convince them that it made no difference to them, that they wouldn't blink twice if I said I was Protestant or Mormon, but they still took it as a personal insult. It turned into about a half an hour debate about religion. They kept wanting to know why I felt that God didn't exist, why I didn't believe. It got very aggravating, having to defend myself. They wouldn't accept that it wasn't a conscious decision to be atheist, that it was just caused by a lack of belief and fate in other religions. I didn't wake up one morning and decide to not believe.

Anyone else ever been in a similar position where you faced an onslaught of questions because of your beliefs/lack of beliefs?

Btw, for the census, I got my parents to put in "No Religion". They weren't impressed but they didn't push it.

Jackobyte wrote: »
    Anyone else ever been in a similar position where you faced an onslaught of questions because of your beliefs/lack of beliefs?

I honestly don't know if any of my friends actually believe in a god, I kinda doubt it.
    Any time it's come up it's usually been jokingly anyway, so like, no-one's in any way devout or literalist.
    Hoping it never comes up with either of my Aunts though.
    They're pretty insane when it comes to religion (more insane than most religious people, that is).

On the rare occasion when it comes up and someone does get pushy about god I tend to bull**** on about Thor.
    They shut up fairly quickly when they realise how much more awesome Thor is than their god.

Pygmalion wrote: »
    I honestly don't know if any of my friends actually believe in a god, I kinda doubt it.
    Any time it's come up it's usually been jokingly anyway, so like, no-one's in any way devout or literalist.
    Hoping it never comes up with either of my Aunts though.
    They're pretty insane when it comes to religion (more insane than most religious people, that is).

On the rare occasion when it comes up and someone does get pushy about god I tend to bull**** on about Thor.
    They shut up fairly quickly when they realise how much more awesome Thor is than their god.
    I know most of my close friends are atheist with the one or two exceptions. This was with people I would be friendly with but not very close to.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

It wasn't an onslaught, but I was asked several questions by a born-again preacher in Galway a few months ago. There was a group of eight of us. We met up outside the shopping centre, and when I got there two Christians were chatting with everyone else. I kept quiet mostly, listening to the two of them. The man did most of the talking.

He was trying to explain why pre-marital sex was a bad idea, and asked us if anyone in the group knew the leading cause of cancer in young people today. He bet the sum of money in his pockets that nobody knew. I broke my silence to answer that it was HPV. My knowledge of STIs impressed him! :p But I didn't take his money. He asked me to think about the afterlife and the creation of the universe. Rather than challenging him (which I should have done!) I said I've thought enough about those already. They left shortly after that. I guess they figured out we were more interested in getting to our party than converting to theirs.
    Btw, for the census, I got my parents to put in "No Religion". They weren't impressed but they didn't push it.

I got to put that in for my entry as well. It felt slightly cooler than putting in Irish as a language I speak pretty much every day. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Me and my friends have discussed whether or not we believe in God a few times. The majority of us don't, and I thought that most people felt this way so I was a bit surprised with Jackobyte's post. And I'm from a West of Ireland mass every Sunday background. :pac: At the same time, when people said they did believe in God, they said it and that was it, I like how we were all able to respect everyone's beliefs. The world needs more of that.

I was filled in as 'Roman Catholic' or whatever it was listed as in the census, saying anything else would just cause drama in the household. It's mass every Sunday morning for me until I'm able to use studying or stress from school as a reason to get out of it. Damn you Junior Cert, get more stressful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Davidius wrote: »
    The fact that it's not based on rational thought or logical argument is exactly a reason why a position of blind faith is open to so much criticism and ridicule. I think it's a ludicrous notion that a faith based position should be protected from attack just because holding that position makes some people feel good. I wouldn't go as far as to call anybody who's religious pathetic or insult them but I should have the freedom to be overly critical of their views.

Is all faith blind faith or just some?

Personally, I don't ask for any protection against ridicule. I personally can take it, I have no issue with saying that my faith in Jesus is the most important thing in my life. It wasn't something that I decided to do without seriously looking into it first. Becoming a Christian at least in so far as I can see it is a decision to become a life-long follower of Jesus. (I made this decision roughly 4 years ago) That's a pretty significant step in life, it will change everything, it is not to be made lightly and most believers my age I have talked to don't seem to have come to the conclusion because they have decided to abandon all faculties of logic and reason.

I don't need the State to nanny peoples opinions. I don't run of shrieking at the first sign of someone paraphrasing Richard Dawkins or Christopher Hitchens. In most discussions I'm pretty capable of holding my own, largely due to being in fellowship with other Christians on a regular basis, but also by engaging in discussion with non-believers on a regular enough basis. I'm glad for this discussion because it helps me in communicating more clearly to people about what the Gospel is, and why Christianity makes coherent sense given the nature of reality.

I also have no interest in using the legal system or the State to force people to make pseudo-commitments to Christianity. I'd rather ensure that the State ensures a free and fair marketplace for thinking. If Christianity is true Christians should be able to secure the place of Christianity in the free market place of ideas.

I don't think I believe in Christianity because it feels good, I believe in it because I am convinced that it is the living truth about reality. From a Christian perspective deciding whether or not to follow God is ultimately the single most decision that any given person can make because it is what will secure our eternal destiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

I got to put that in for my entry as well. It felt slightly cooler than putting in Irish as a language I speak pretty much every day. :cool:

I ticked Other and wrote in
    Jedi

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I don't mean to sound all critical towards anyone, and I know it's just a joke but I never understood why the Jedi thing took off in the UK whenever that census happened. I mean, censuses are really useful for planning, they're not done for the craic, and I just think they should be filled out truthfully. I know I can't really talk what with my religion thing basically being a lie and I know this is a bit OT but there's my two cents. And it's especially true in Ireland when the Church and the State are still closely related, though not as closely as before thankfully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

I didn't feel my religious views were appropriately represented on the form. They weren't taking me seriously so until they do, I refuse to have my religion (Agnosticism) be Other on a major form.

But I did a bit of embellishment on the ole Census, said I took the bus more often than I did so the services would be improved.

Advertisement