Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Krankykitty is reading..

Options
  • 09-03-2011 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭

Thought I would start one of these to track my reading, seeing as I've recently got a present of a new fangled Kindle yoke :D

Reading a lot of light entertainment type books recently as I've been busy, including Steig Larrson's Millenium trilogy, and some of the books the series True Blood is based on (Hurrah for vampires who burn in the sun and don't sparkle!)

Currently reading Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

Finished Breakfast of Champions
    I enjoyed it - but I think I might need to do another read of it sometime. Found some of it quite amusing and the illustrations added to it - I thought at the start that they'd end up being annoying.

Also read Haruki Murakami's After the Quake which is quite topical with what is happening in Japan at the moment. It's a collection of short stories connected to the Kobe earthquake. For me, short stories can be hit and miss - I either dislike them or love them so much I'm sorry when they come to a sudden end. This collection was a mix of both.

Not sure what to read next.. Thinking I might start reading a non-fiction book.

Some I've read recently

The O My God Delusion by Ross O'Carroll Kelly
    - I always enjoy the humour in these ones, this book is one of the better of the recent ones.

The Greatest Show on Earth by Richard Dawkins - the story of evolution. Scientific info explained clearly, enjoyable

The Great Lover by Jill Dawson
    - fictional story but based on biographical details of poet Rupert Brooke. Liked this one in parts..

The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ by Phillip Pullman
    - from the "Myths" series, a revisit of the story of Jesus, with a twist.

Thoughts without a Thinker - Psychotherapy from a Buddhist Perspective by Mark Epstein - about the relationship between psychotherapy and buddhism.

Some more reading - sort of random!

Re-read The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein - love this one. Story told from the dog's perspective. The ending would bring tears to a stone.

Football - Bloody Hell! The Story of Alex Ferguson by Patrick Barclay
    - Read this in all the excitement after the historic 19th title :D I have to confess I skipped through all the Aberdeen bits and only started reading at the United bits :o

In the President's Secret Service by Ronald Kessler - the history of the Secret Service. Interesting factoids about the various presidents, and the challenges faced by the secret service.

Fifth Avenue, 5AM - Audrey Hepburn, Breakfast at Tiffany's and the Dawn of the Modern Woman by Sam Wasson
    -story of the making of the film (and of Audrey Hepburn herself) in what was to become an iconic role for her.

Babyville by Jane Green - Easy to read, story of the benefits and drawbacks of motherhood as told by the various characters who have very different perspectives on the subject. Also by Jane Green - Dune Road which was entertaining enough.

Just devoured the first two books of the Hunger Games Trilogy -

The Hunger Games and Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Loving them - I know they're technically "young adult" but am really enjoying them. I always enjoy a bit of post-apocalyptic dystopia, me! They're reminding me of Harry Potter, but more dark and violent, and with no magic - but getting the same enjoyment out of them as I did the Potters.

Well, haven't updated here for a while, so I have a good few to update. Mostly kept with easy reads as that was suiting where I was at the past few months (getting married, being on hols, up to my eyes in work etc!)

The Favourites by Mary Yukari Waters - read this on honeymoon in Japan. Book was set in Kyoto and told the story of a couple of generations of women, focusing on their relationships with their mothers.

Black Friday by Alex Kava - Terrorist tale. Pretty rubbish and formulaic.

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot - story of the discovery of "HeLa" cells, which are the first human cells they discovered that can be reproduced properly in vitro, and the life of the lady they discovered them in. Interesting story.

We Need to Talk about Kevin by Lionel Shriver - this wasn't an easy read, story of the mother of a sociopathic boy. Thought provoking though.

A Change in Altitude by Anita Shreve - story of young couple who go to live in Kenya, decide to take a trip up Mount Kenya which has huge consequences for their relationship

Keeping Faith and Handle With Care by Jodi Picoult - they were enjoyable but a bit formulaic, child with something wrong with them/court case/ethical dilemma.

Nama Mia by Ross O'Carroll Kelly
    - A bit of comedy. This was enjoyable way to spend a 11 hour flight when the telly wasn't working!

• Advertisement
Advertisement