Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics- Easter revision

• 09-03-2011 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Where is the best place to do an easter revision course in physics? The institute is supposed to be good but is very expensive, €440 for the full course as apposed to €160 in balinteer, but i'd rather obviously go somewhere where I know it is good. Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Lottoplusone

Pat Doyle does the easter revision course in physics at the institute and he is actually a genius. Highly recommend him. He's my full time teacher in the institute. My friend did the friday nights with him when he did his leaving cert. Got 40 something in the mocks and an A2 in the real thing..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

I'd second Pat Doyle, but I'm really biased as he's my teacher too. If you want to see what his standards are like, take a look at today's Exam Brief from the Independant. It's a reduced version of some of our notes from Pat.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Burkie.EXE

I have Pat Doyle for Physics and Maths. He's a brilliant teacher. He really knows what he's talking about and he can put ideas across in a way that's very easy to understand. Not only that, he's very thorough when it comes to going through the possible trick questions you can come across. If you're looking for a Physics teacher, I couldn't imagine anyone else possibly being better.
    Oh, and of course, the jokes are epic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

Pat Doyle is a superb teacher - his notes are excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭lostatsea

I went out to buy the Science supplement in the Indo based on the wonderful comments about Pat Doyle here. I have never seen such an amateur presentation. The diagrams could have been drawn by a 5 year old. The equations were all over the place. So these are the famous IOE notes that I have been hearing about all year!!

• Advertisement

lostatsea wrote: »
    I went out to buy the Science supplement in the Indo based on the wonderful comments about Pat Doyle here. I have never seen such an amateur presentation. The diagrams could have been drawn by a 5 year old. The equations were all over the place. So these are the famous IOE notes that I have been hearing about all year!!

Can I ask why you thought the equations were all over the place? I can't see anything wrong with them. I'm aware there are several ways to lay out a question but I wouldn't brand one as 'wrong'.

I believe his diagrams are made to be copied. Given you won't have more than four or so minutes in the exam to spend on each diagram (give or take, some need more time) My Physics book from last year gave much prettier diagrams. They just couldn't be copied unless one is much better at art than I am.

And it's the teaching that is famed. They notes just back it up.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

When I was doing physics, I hated how the diagrams in the book were all colourful and 3D, whereas the ones I drew looked a mess - I would have preferred a drawn diagram to copy from!

Having said that, in my Leaving Cert my diagram of a cathode ray tube looked like a penis :o

When I was doing physics, I hated how the diagrams in the book were all colourful and 3D, whereas the ones I drew looked a mess - I would have preferred a drawn diagram to copy from!

Having said that, in my Leaving Cert my diagram of a cathode ray tube looked like a penis :o

Same :o
    That's why I was delighted when
    the speed of sound in air
    came up in the mocks. Four vertical lines and a horizontal line. And that's 80% of the diagram :D

*giggles* I'm so immature :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

Ah, I agree about diagrams, drawn ones are so much easier to understand and reproduce. Particularly for some of the more complicated experiments. (Hence why I find Pat's notes so good :P)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 iloveboobies

larkin1993 wrote: »
    Where is the best place to do an easter revision course in physics? The institute is supposed to be good but is very expensive, €440 for the full course as apposed to €160 in balinteer, but i'd rather obviously go somewhere where I know it is good. Any ideas?

Try this, if you're looking for something cheapish:
    http://www.leavingcertlecturedays.ie/leavingcert-subjects/leavingcert-physics-higher-exam-help.html

Don't know if they're good. I'm going to it myself but I went to the biology and chemistry lectures and they were absolutely brilliant :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭maughantourig

Roughly how many equations do you need to know for HL physics?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

Literally about five. You're given the rest of them in the log tables.

Advertisement