Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony vs Kindle?

Options
  • 09-03-2011 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    My dad is an avid reader & devours books at a ferocious rate! He's contemplating buying either a Sony E-Reader or a Kindle.

I would love to hear your thoughts on which would be the best option for him.

Priorities would be the easy availability of books to download (thriller types such as Robert Ludlum, Wilbur Smith but also books of historical interest )

Ease of use would be very important, as would being able to read the screen outdoors in bright sunshine. Also, is it possible to adjust the font size on both / either reader?

Looking forward to hearing from you :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭IrishPhoenix

I have had both readers but am currently using the Kindle, which I think would be the best option for your dad. Amazon have the biggest selection of ebooks and it's very easy to download them. The screen on the kindle is crystal clear and has about 8 different font sizes. The Kindle is also significantly cheaper than the Sony 650.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

I have a USA bought Kindle 2 with 3G and absolutely love it. I've deliberately skipped the Kindle 3 as it's not a big enough step up from the Kindle 2 for me to warrant a purchase.

I've just bought an iPad but will continue to read books on my Kindle without fail (except text books and comics and manga as the 6" Kindle is useless for these, you'd need the USA Kindle DX to get a half decent result). I can also read and sync my Kindle library with my Android phone and also via a PC application. I've also converted some of my own documents to Kindle-compatible files for free by sending them to my free Kindle email address (which is a free service, unlike using Amazon's Whispernet where you will incur a charge).

When a colour Kindle arrives, I'll be first in line. You can't go wrong with a device linked to such a massive and easily accessible global book store. Not only that but Kindle is also tied in with Audible which is also owned by Amazon which is great for audio books. If you choose to buy one in the USA, you can also transfer your device from a .com account to a .co.uk account or any Amazon website that has a Kindle store. I done this with my device and transfer was quick and easy.

I feel the Sony reader doesn't have anywhere near the same following and would be very hesitant in picking one up. Go for the Kindle. It's the clear winner here.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I've had a Sony PRS-505 for nearly 2 years now, and love it. I've no need for annotations, so its smaller size without the keyboard is perfect for me. It's not much taller or wider (if at all) than most paperbacks, and much thinner.

Finding books for it can be a little bit of a chore sometimes. It doesn't seem to render all the formats quite right. For instance, if I increase the font size, it can do funny things.

If I was to buy one tomorrow, I'd probably lean towards the Kindle, just because it's easier to get books on it. It would be a tough call though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Eoin wrote: »
    I've had a Sony PRS-505 for nearly 2 years now, and love it. I've no need for annotations, so its smaller size without the keyboard is perfect for me. It's not much taller or wider (if at all) than most paperbacks, and much thinner.

Finding books for it can be a little bit of a chore sometimes. It doesn't seem to render all the formats quite right. For instance, if I increase the font size, it can do funny things.

If I was to buy one tomorrow, I'd probably lean towards the Kindle, just because it's easier to get books on it. It would be a tough call though.

Got the wife a Kindle last moth, having held both in the hand. The Kindle won hands down on display and performance. The clarity is stunning. Doesn't matter what light you read it in.

I've decided to let my gf get me one of these for my 30th :)

She's having trouble getting it sent to Ireland buying from amazon, is this normal or are there other avenues we need to pursue?

Haven't checked it out myself yet so it may be an imaginary issue :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,925 ✭✭✭✭Basq

She's having trouble getting it sent to Ireland buying from amazon, is this normal or are there other avenues we need to pursue?
    To get one shipped to Ireland, you have to order the International Kindle from Amazon.com (not Amazon.co.uk) and they'll bump on duty on checkout (thoughtful bastards! :().

WiFi version
    WiFi/3G version

ah cheers for that info

the rotten dogs, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭PMC999

You can buy Kindle in PCWorld

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

Are books for Kindle more expensive than for the Sony / epub?

Looking at the Sony store, http://www.bookdepository.co.uk and http://www.booksonboard.com the books I've searched for seem to be cheaper than they are on Amazon.com.

I want to get an e-reader as a present for someone who wouldn't be technically proficient, but don't want to get a brand which ties them into having to get expensive books.

What is the ebook rental scene like? I understand most use Adobe DRM, which the Kindle doesn't do but a Sony Reader would. Do Amazon do rentals?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Hi all

Can anyone tell me the price difference between the kindle landed from amazon.com versus currys Ireland?

Cheers in advance..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

I ordered one yesterday from amazon.com (USA) and I got it for €138 (euro).

I didn't think you could get a Kindle in a shop in Ireland. Checked curry's Ireland website and there was no Kindle's listed.

paultf wrote: »
    I ordered one yesterday from amazon.com (USA) and I got it for €138 (euro).

I didn't think you could get a Kindle in a shop in Ireland. Checked curry's Ireland website and there was no Kindle's listed.

Sound I checked myself and found none in currys, as a matter of interest how long did it take for delivery, as me and me boys are getting it for the missus for her birthday on the 8th of May..

Ordered yesterday (Good Friday 22/4) at about 5pm. Just got an email now 1am Saturday 23/4 that it has been shipped and its in transit.

They estimate delivery 27th-29th.

PS If you are looking for a cover for the Kindle there are cheaper ones on ebay than Amazon. I ordered one for €16.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭PMC999

paultf wrote: »

PS If you are looking for a cover for the Kindle there are cheaper ones on ebay than Amazon. I ordered one for €16.

Another option for a case is this one
    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/protective-pu-leather-case-for-kindle-3-black-49301
    It takes about 3 weeks to be delivered but it's a great case and costs less than €7 (free shipping)

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

PMC999 wrote: »
    Another option for a case is this one
    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/protective-pu-leather-case-for-kindle-3-black-49301
    It takes about 3 weeks to be delivered but it's a great case and costs less than €7 (free shipping)
    That's the case I got - does the job grand!

FWIW, I got my Kindle in Curry's/PCW for 149eur. Though, I see it's not on their website anymore - maybe they've stopped selling it?

Cheers for the help all..

SimplyElectronics sell them for €139. Don't know much about them. Might be quicker ordering from them than from the States.

http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mainproduct.php?pid=12526&setcurrency=eur

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Jokesetal

As it's probably too late for any purchases made (as posted above), my only comment is that the Sony Ereader that I received as a Christmas Present has worked perfectly.
    It only needs to be charged once every three weeks or so, currenty holding 50 books (all obtainable in epub/pdf versions for very low rates using certain sites).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 ntn

Basq wrote: »
    To get one shipped to Ireland, you have to order the International Kindle from Amazon.com (not Amazon.co.uk) and they'll bump on duty on checkout (thoughtful bastards! :().

WiFi version
    WiFi/3G version

Hi,
    Does that duty cover everything then? As in, I won't get caught for any hidden costs when it gets delivered??

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Lpfsox

Hi ntn

I got a kindle last week (paid a bit more than €138 though :(), ordered on the Friday, was delivered last Monday. Absolutely no extra charges at all.

I love it - I've got the Sony PRS700 (touchscreen one) and think I prefer the kindle, even though the touchscreen was nice.

No trouble reading in any light at all, and I got one of the handy lighted covers for it too so no need for a lamp if I want to read in bed.

I use Calibre to store and organise my books and have had no issues converting from the EPUB format (which the Sony uses) to MOBI for the Kindle.

Hope this helps :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 ntn

Hi Lpfsox,

Great! Thanks for the info!

Think I will invest in the near future :)

Happy reading!

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭minterno

I got a sony prs 505 last xmas 12 months as a present for my wife for xmas and i was so impressed with it that i kept it,the kindle looks great but i find the sony great,i have dropped it a good few times and its still working fine and can be read in any light,regards

Advertisement