Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two Ministers for Dublin 15

Options
  • 09-03-2011 9:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭

Borderline politics thread stuff but D15 has landed a bonanza at the cabinet table with Joan Burton and Leo Varadkar both getting the nod. Hopefully the Social Protection and Transport, Sport and Tourism portfolios which are all very relevant to D15 (especially seeing as Dublin West constituency now includes the airport) will have a positive impact on the area.

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

It might be grand if I knew what the Minister for Social Protection was supposed to do. :confused:

At least whoever it was complaining about Leo not being interested in speed ramps in Roselawn can expect the diggers to be moving in any day now. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Zaph wrote: »
    It might be grand if I knew what the Minister for Social Protection was supposed to do. :confused:

Social Protection is the fancy pc name for what used to be the Department of Social Welfare

Ah right, thanks.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I'm surprised Joan didn't get one of the finance ones. I think her one's just social welfare isn't it?

As for Leo, I thought he was a doctor? Why is he in charge of tourism, transport and sport? Although they had a wealth of people with economic backgrounds and they gave both finance posts to teachers?

I suppose Dublin bus will be privatised now. The service out this way can't get much worse than it is so maybe it's a good thing?

James Reilly is the new minister for health. He's also a doctor and is the FG deputy leader, so it's to be expected that he'd get a more senior job than Leo.

• Advertisement

Zaph wrote: »
    James Reilly is the new minister for health. He's also a doctor and is the FG deputy leader, so it's to be expected that he'd get a more senior job than Leo.

Oh I wasn't suggesting Leo as Minister for Health. I was just thinking that in all the TD's between the two parties that there would be someone with a background more suited to Tourism, Sport and Transport.

Although I'm not really sure exactly what you would have to have done in order to be an expert in those fields.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Transport is a high profile ministry...what's his views on Metro North?

Will anybody shed a tear if Dublin Bus is privitised? Actually Labour won't have that.

Transport is a high profile ministry...what's his views on Metro North?

Will anybody shed a tear if Dublin Bus is privitised? Actually Labour won't have that.

Does it really matter what their personal views on things are? I mean ultimately they'll have to tow the party line won't they? So whatever FG's views on things are will be his views on things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

Leading up to past elections both Leo and Bruton said they were for better public transport for D15, lets see if they will now put in practice what they preached.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭Nolimits

I'm surprised Joan didn't get one of the finance ones. I think her one's just social welfare isn't it?

As for Leo, I thought he was a doctor? Why is he in charge of tourism, transport and sport? Although they had a wealth of people with economic backgrounds and they gave both finance posts to teachers?

I suppose Dublin bus will be privatised now. The service out this way can't get much worse than it is so maybe it's a good thing?

Dublin bus being privatised would not be a good thing, if currently there isn't a great service there this may be as it is a route that loses money, a private company would shut that route down all together. I hope it's never privatised, I go to Manchester quite regularly, the prices there (where there are a few companies) are extortionate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭Rosita

Leading up to past elections both Leo and Bruton said they were for better public transport for D15, lets see if they will now put in practice what they preached.

They would say that wouldn't they? Saying you're not in favour of better public transport for D15 would hardly be a great vote-catcher. It doesn't mean diddley-squat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Who gives a <SNIP> about D15, as long as they do a good job for the COUNTRY

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

Doom wrote: »
    Who gives a <SNIP> about D15
    People that post on a D15 forum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

Doom wrote: »
    Who gives a <SNIP> about D15, as long as they do a good job for the COUNTRY

I dont care about the rest of the country, its nice to visit from time to time thats all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Im with Doom who cares what any politician does for any local when the country is worse of than one hit by an earthquakes and Sunami`s....

Advertisement