Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hkc secure watch sw-812 help

Options
  • 09-03-2011 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

hi,this is a great forum,i have got a lot of useful information about my alarm system here,so here my questions .

i have a hkc secure watch sw-812 installed in my home ,i am looking to put in a digi modem text card to conect to my eircom phone line,

i have checked online trying to get a digi modem text card ,nowhere online seems to sell then and from what i see all the alarm supplier and distrbutors are trade only.

any help would be appreciated

ps any ideal of the cost to buy the digi modem text card

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

gargar73 wrote: »
    hi,this is a great forum,i have got a lot of useful information about my alarm system here,so here my questions .

i have a hkc secure watch sw-812 installed in my home ,i am looking to put in a digi modem text card to conect to my eircom phone line,

i have checked online trying to get a digi modem text card ,nowhere online seems to sell then and from what i see all the alarm supplier and distrbutors are trade only.

any help would be appreciated

ps any ideal of the cost to buy the digi modem text card

If you go into any of the suppliers they will sell it to you over the counter.
    There is a list of suppliers here that you may find one close to you. Cost about 80 Euro.

Any problems let us know..

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭dubb

I have a hkc secure watch sw-812 installed in my home. I am looking to put in a digi modem text card to conect to my eircom phone line.

Similar situation, but no landline.

I want to connect a SW-812 and HKC digi modem text card to a UPC/ntl phone port.
    I see a battery backup for the UPC modem is recommended - good advice.
    Are there likely to be any other issues?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You will need a voice dialler. You can not send text via UPC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 gargar73

thanks altor
    i will try to get it monday
    thanks again for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭dubb

KoolKid wrote: »
    You will need a voice dialler. You can not send text via UPC.

Thanks. Makes sense - hadn't thought of that.

If you don't mind a follow up - how do the prices of GSM vs. voice dialer compare? I know the latter would need a good bit of cable routing in our house, so installing a GSM dialler may be cheaper, though clearly the GSM-jamming risks remain.
    For self-monitoring, is there any ongoing cost with a GSM dialler, once you make a test call every few months?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

A generic voice dialer would be much cheaper than a branded one, especially HKCs which is nearly €400.
    The ongoing costs of using GSM is just topping up the sim an making a call within the required period to keep the number active.

thanks altor
    i will try to get it monday
    thanks again for your help

Your welcome gargar73,
    You will need the engineer code to add this to the alarm. Make sure you down power the alarm, battery and mains before connecting the modem card. If you have any problems we are more than happy to help.

dubb wrote: »
    Thanks. Makes sense - hadn't thought of that.

If you don't mind a follow up - how do the prices of GSM vs. voice dialer compare? I know the latter would need a good bit of cable routing in our house, so installing a GSM dialler may be cheaper, though clearly the GSM-jamming risks remain.
    For self-monitoring, is there any ongoing cost with a GSM dialler, once you make a test call every few months?

The HKC GSM-P costs €320 off most suppliers. The advantage of using the HKC GSM would be remote access to the alarm for arming/disarming, it will tell you what zone has activated if the alarm activates. It will also give you a verified alarm by means of a second text if you have a beam installed in the premises plus you can control lights, heating.
    For the extra money compared to a voice dialer (€120) there is a big difference. All the voice dialer will do is ring your phone and play a pre-recorded message.

Altor, can you PM me who you are getting those HKC digis from.
    I heard HKC had put the price of them back up . Im getting quoted €340-€350 + vat

You will have to change your supplier ;)

• Advertisement

I use that supplier you PMed me. Ill check with them again.

Just checked there, it is €313 vat included.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 shay23b

hi altor,

Can you pm me the supplier please.

Thanks

Its REW
    The details are on the sticky here.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055956748

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

altor wrote: »
    The HKC GSM-P costs €320 off most suppliers. The advantage of using the HKC GSM would be remote access to the alarm for arming/disarming, it will tell you what zone has activated if the alarm activates. It will also give you a verified alarm by means of a second text if you have a beam installed in the premises plus you can control lights, heating.
    For the extra money compared to a voice dialer (€120) there is a big difference. All the voice dialer will do is ring your phone and play a pre-recorded message.

What is the cheapest gsm dialler for the securewatch as a matter of interest- don't want to invest a lot into the system if I upgrade some time.

What information will it give, eg zone, time, zone type

Can it be compatible with monitoring should I want it later.

Thanks for your help

Mr_Grumpy wrote: »
    What is the cheapest gsm dialler for the securewatch as a matter of interest- don't want to invest a lot into the system if I upgrade some time.

What information will it give, eg zone, time, zone type

Can it be compatible with monitoring should I want it later.

Thanks for your help

The best one for the HKC Securewatch is the HKC GSM. If you did upgrade to the Securewave panel it will also work with that panel. It can send a text to 19 phones. The alarm activating will give you the zone that activated plus if you have pirs install you will get a verified text if a second device is activated. Yes it will act as communication between a monitoring station but for monitoring to a central station I would rather use a polling device as GSMs devices can easily be blocked.

The best one for the HKC Securewatch is the HKC GSM. If you did upgrade to the Securewave panel it will also work with that panel. It can send a text to 19 phones. The alarm activating will give you the zone that activated plus if you have pirs install you will get a verified text if a second device is activated. Yes it will act as communication between a monitoring station but for monitoring to a central station I would rather use a polling device as GSMs devices can easily be blocked.

Agree regards monitoring.

You can also set up the HKC GSM for controlling your lights and heating. Makes it a better buy than a cheaper GSM.

You can also set up the HKC GSM for controlling your lights and heating. Makes it a better buy than a cheaper GSM.

Presume you can't manage your heating with a landline digi?
    It would be nice to be coming home and texting it to put the heating on!
    Good point though, thanks for your help altor and koolkid. Keep up the good work! :D

Mr_Grumpy wrote: »
    Presume you can't manage your heating with a landline digi?
    It would be nice to be coming home and texting it to put the heating on!
    Good point though, thanks for your help altor and koolkid. Keep up the good work! :D

Afraid not with the HKC digi, only the GSM. It is handy the GSM allows you control it this way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 icejoey

Hello Guys

I have recently installed a hkc alarm am am have problem with the window contacts cheap magnet ones (wiring them :mad:)

I am only having problems when i try to wire 3/4 windows into one zone can anybody explain how to 3/4 of them together, when i get through the walk test the window are shown ok even when they are open.

In lay mans terms please monkey see monkey do :)

icejoey wrote: »
    Hello Guys

I have recently installed a hkc alarm am am have problem with the window contacts cheap magnet ones (wiring them :mad:)

I am only having problems when i try to wire 3/4 windows into one zone can anybody explain how to 3/4 of them together, when i get through the walk test the window are shown ok even when they are open.

In lay mans terms please monkey see monkey do :)

I hope this helps, any problems let us know :D

Hello Alter thanks for the help ill try it in the morning and see how i get on :D

icejoey wrote: »
    Hello Alter thanks for the help ill try it in the morning and see how i get on :D

It should be straight forward with the diagram. If you have any problems let us know.

Hello

can anyone tell me how to connect these 2 to one zone please :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

You need to series the two cables together. Let's say you wired the contacts with the red and black. At the panel you'll have two red and blacks. Join the red from one cable to the black on the other cable in a connector block. This will leave you with a one red and one black. Wire those two into the zone on the panel and bob's your uncle.

Ok and if i want to connect 3 of them together to one zone

It's the same. The black from one to the red on another, then the black from that one to the red on the next one. You add as many as like but you'll always end up with one red and one black. I'd draw you a simple diagram but I'm on the mobile. It's called daisy chaining. Hope that helped.

ok ill have a go monkey see monkey do :)

• Advertisement

Here's a bad attempt of a diagram.

0470fba0.jpg

Advertisement