Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo Taoiseach - Enda Kenny

Options
  • 09-03-2011 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭

See below from Mayotoday.....

Mayo man Enda Kenny has been elected Taoiseach of Ireland in what is an historic day for his Fine Gael party and also his native county. The Islandeady native takes office as head of a Coalition Government with Labour as Ireland faces its greatest ever economic crisis. And in his first speech as Taoiseach Mr Kenny gave hope when he promised that this was "the darkest hour before the dawn".

In his acceptance speech, Mr Kenny said the country was on the threshold of fundamental change.
    The Taoiseach said he was entering into a covenant with the public and that honesty was his only policy.
    "This is the darkest our before the dawn," he declared.

Later, Mr Kenny went to Áras an Uachtaráin where he recieved his seal of office and his government's seal of office from President McAleese. Mr Kenny will announce his government later this afternoon.

Earlier, Mr Kenny hads been elected Taoiseach of the 31st Dáil by a margin of 117 votes to 27. Fianna Fail leader Michael Martin a break with tradition supported Mr Kenny's nomination.

Fine Gael's Simon Harris, the youngest TD in FG, nominated Mr Kenny for Taoiseach. "There is an honesty and decency at his core," the Wicklow TD said.

Labour's Waterford TD Ciara Conway seconded the nomination.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Well, all I can say is The very best of luck to him. My hope would be that if things go wrong for him that it won't be the cause of an increase in FF votes in the next election. No matter how long he lasts, there's no hope of him doing an iota of the damage that Biffo did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Galen

All the best of luck to Enda and his team. A lot of interesting promises, I just hope he's able to keep them.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭sanbrafyffe

i think theres no one else out there that can take us foward like enda can.heard people on here saying this and that about him but with his historic majority today he is the man that the tds feel is the right man

he lead a party to a historic number of seats ever gained in our history of the dail and lead the party to gain 4 out the 5 seats that were gained in his own county of mayo.no other party has ever done this

well done enda.(father of the dail)

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

The first Mayo Taoiseach is not in fact enda Kenny - though he wasn't elected in the constituency of mayo the first one was CJ Haughey! Bit of trivia that.

Best of luck to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

I thought Haughey was just born in Castlebar, never really lived there..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Ilovelucy wrote: »
    The first Mayo Taoiseach is not in fact enda Kenny - though he wasn't elected in the constituency of mayo the first one was CJ Haughey! Bit of trivia that.

Best of luck to him.

Nice job on trying to enflame further anti FF sentiment on here.....Anyway Charlie doesn't qualify as a Mayo man, he abandoned the county to enrich himself and in light of his Charvet shirts and tightening the belt comments Mayo people are quite happy to disown him. :p

Glad to see Enda set out his stall early on regarding honesty and integrity which appears to have been well received in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

i think theres no one else out there that can take us foward like enda can.heard people on here saying this and that about him but with his historic majority today he is the man that the tds feel is the right man

he lead a party to a historic number of seats ever gained in our history of the dail and lead the party to gain 4 out the 5 seats that were gained in his own county of mayo.no other party has ever done this

well done enda.(father of the dail)

While he is thorough gentleman and it is great to see someone achieve high office in their career and I wish him well, calm down your rhetoric, ye only got a whopping 36.1% of the vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

finisklin wrote: »
    Nice job on trying to enflame further anti FF sentiment on here.....Anyway Charlie doesn't qualify as a Mayo man, he abandoned the county to enrich himself and in light of his Charvet shirts and tightening the belt comments Mayo people are quite happy to disown him. :p

Glad to see Enda set out his stall early on regarding honesty and integrity which appears to have been well received in Europe.

Back in your box I was merely quoting a trivial fact.

If you want to make best use of your trivia go to a pub quiz.......making connections between CJH, FF and Ireland's fresh, new hope EK on a political discussion forum is as welcome as rubber lips on a woodpecker. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20 PingPing

While he is thorough gentleman and it is great to see someone achieve high office in their career and I wish him well

Amen to that! I've never heard/seen/known Enda to be anything other than a 'decent guy' - and I think it's lovely that he's gotten to where he is now without selling his soul. I really hope that integrity stays intact.

Instinct tells me he's one of the Good Ones, but that whole 'Power Corrupts' spectre has brought down so many before...

Still. Not this time, eh? Super-Enda will fix everything be grand! (I hope!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Spoke to him yesterday after the match in mchale park, while he was in great form, ( even after us loosing:( ) he spent time with everyone who congratulate him, he looked tired.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Spoke to him yesterday after the match in mchale park, while he was in great form, ( even after us loosing:( ) he spent time with everyone who congratulate him, he looked tired.

Agree with that, he looked knackered tired. He was in front of me at the match there and in fairness gave his time to each and many who went over to him.
    I am sure the display frustrated the sh!t out of him like it did the rest of us :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭C-J

Christ everyone knows cj was born in mayo it's hardly trivia, it's something we should be ashamed of! My sister has many stories of visitin cjs abode with her boss, not going to say in what capacity, but they were told not to darken the door without vintage moet! Charming! Enda is relatable, down to earth and a true family man. I find the fact that he goes to all mayo games and sticks to his routines like cycling hill walking etc endearing. Not a fat cat sitting above in buswells with a cigar!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

If you want to make best use of your trivia go to a pub quiz.......making connections between CJH, FF and Ireland's fresh, new hope EK on a political discussion forum is as welcome as rubber lips on a woodpecker. :D

Blimey, someone got out of bed the wrong side this morning!

Glad to see Enda set out his stall early on regarding honesty and integrity

Dont they all say that at the beginning?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

ciaran67 wrote: »
    Blimey, someone got out of bed the wrong side this morning!

Plus you would wonder about calling a 36 year Dail veteran and the father of the house a fresh new hope. Gives a mere 41yo like me hope!!

[/QUOTE]Dont they all say that at the beginning?[/QUOTE]

I think he couldn't leave this unsaid and in particular it was a key point made in a European context as significant mistrust had build up between FF and our European overlords, esp Cowen & Lenihan. Especially Cowen's two fingers to the ECB by faxing the bank guarantee from a pub, widely quoted in Michael Lewis's Vanity Fair article.

Plus you would wonder about calling a 36 year Dail veteran and the father of the house a fresh new hope. Gives a mere 41yo like me hope!!

In comparision to the previous incumbent he's a spring chicken both literally and metaphorically.

Advertisement