Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smithwicks !

• 09-03-2011 10:01pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 460 ✭✭

I have not tasted the stuff since my teens, even then it was woeful ! Does anybody here drink it ? I have not ordered one nor even seen anybody drinking it in 20 odd years..Somebody must be drinking the stuff cos they are still brewing it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

four18 wrote: »
    I have not tasted the stuff since my teens, even then it was woeful ! Does anybody here drink it ? I have not ordered one nor even seen anybody drinking it in 20 odd years..Somebody must be drinking the stuff cos they are still brewing it.

nothing to write home about but hardly woeful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Only people from Kilkenny/Carlow drink it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

T'was Pish water!

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭ball

Drink it when I'm not sure what I want. Usually gives me a sore throat after a few pints.

It's not bad, but it's not good either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭amacca

four18 wrote: »

I used to drink it regularly - quite liked it actually - friends used to slag me saying it was an old mans drink.

still drink it occasionally but prefer a hoegaarden or even a yuppie corona now.

more into spirits/cocktails etc when I go drinking now and fcuk the begrudgers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

where i worked about 10 regulars drank it. all 50+ years old
    never tried it myself. its not as strong as most large bottles. its only 3.8% instead of normal 4.3%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Take your profane comments back sir!! Smithwicks is quite simply the nectar of the Gods, the ambrosia of the Heavens, the elxir of life itself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭sherdydan

I drink the stuff, only when out in a pub, gank from a can!

Got to say I quite like it, order it more than guinness as its alot harder to get a bad pint of, nothing beats it on a summers day!!

On a side note about a year and a half ago, when i had just turned 18, I was in a pub, and ordered a pint of smithwicks, barman said to me he was gonna ask me for ID, but because of the fact I ordered smithwicks, it was alright, I was obviously old enough.

good thing, as I had forgotten my ID!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pauro 76

I drink it! My dad got me into it and drinks it as well.... But I prefer Caffreys or Kilkenny, but drink Smithwicks if neither of them is about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

sherdydan wrote: »
    I drink the stuff, only when out in a pub, gank from a can!

Got to say I quite like it, order it more than guinness as its alot harder to get a bad pint of, nothing beats it on a summers day!!

On a side note about a year and a half ago, when i had just turned 18, I was in a pub, and ordered a pint of smithwicks, barman said to me he was gonna ask me for ID, but because of the fact I ordered smithwicks, it was alright, I was obviously old enough.

good thing, as I had forgotten my ID!! :p

When I was a young fella, we were sitting in the only ****hole pub in town that was likely to serve so many obviously underage lads, and all was going well until I went up to the bar and asked for a pint of Smithwicks and a pint of ale. Didn't go down too well!:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

I know a guy who drinks Smithwicks with a Guinness head. On more than one occasion the person behind the bar has given him a pint of each. Gets very annoyed by that so he does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

From a pint it's usually good; it's not like say Bulmers or Budweiser where it's a drink to drink ASAP to get locked. It's just a nice pint you can drink through the night. You'd probably end up on about 6-8 pints on a night out. Gets you a bit drunk but not hangover wise (if you eat something) so it's grand if you're not into the whole thing of getting as drunk as possible.

It's an aquired taste though, I love it. Yeah, most people around the age of 18 - 30 wouldn't drink it, I do though and I'm in my early 20s.

It comes in bottles too, I think. I wouldn't get it unless it's a pint. If you get cans make sure they're cold. Warm Smithwicks is horrible.

Oh and depending on what your age is that might explain why. You'll rarely see them in the likes of barcode or q-bar or whatever the local piss-bar is today. It's more of a "few pints after work" thing for me.

Still, you should try it since it's around 3.80 - 4.80 in most places (not clubs).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Its nasty stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

I started drinking it years ago when I was underage - no one ever asked for ID if you asked for a Smithwicks!

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Humans eh!

pauro 76 wrote: »
    I drink it! My dad got me into it and drinks it as well.... But I prefer Caffreys or Kilkenny, but drink Smithwicks if neither of them is about.

Can you still get Caffreys on Draught?
    I used to love the stuff.
    Smithwicks is nice with literally a teaspoon of red lemonade in it, could ba all in my head but it works for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Aodan83 wrote: »
    I know a guy who drinks Smithwicks with a Guinness head. On more than one occasion the person behind the bar has given him a pint of each. Gets very annoyed by that so he does.

Smithwicks with a good GUINNESS head on it is a pretty good drink if done properly. McCardles is the best home grown Ale we have by far, much more body to it but you rarely see it anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Smithwicks is delicious I usually always drink it. I'd probably take a nicer ale if there were a better selection in Irish pubs but I'm happy enough with Smithwicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

I tend to drink a pint of Smithwicks as most pubs don't sell large bottles of McArdles, which would be my first choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,472 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I drink it and tbh, if you get it good, it goes down really well but too often its piss and 2 pints are then too many whereas when its right, many pints can be had.
    Most people say this about guinness and then say that smithwicks is always reasonable. I dont agree with this at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

I like it and drink it to save my wife from the evil 2 day farting spree i go on after a feed of Guinness.
    I got into it after spending time in the Uk where i developed a taste for real ales. I now make home brew ale and Smithwicks is sometimes the closest you can get over here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Big fan of Smithwicks. Like another poster my dad got me into. I see very few other people under thirty drinking it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I had a Smithwicks with a Guinness head once. was quite nice actually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

I must be one of a rare breed; in my mid-20s and usually drink either Guinness or Smithwicks when I find myself in a pub. Both are far superior to the standard lagers on tap to be found in most pubs imo.
    Smithwicks with a Guinness head is good alright, its been a while since I bothered tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

That pisht was dire alright, the only beer that ever made me projectile vomit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

JBnaglfar wrote: »
    I must be one of a rare breed; in my mid-20s and usually drink either Guinness or Smithwicks when I find myself in a pub. Both are far superior to the standard lagers on tap to be found in most pubs imo.
    Smithwicks with a Guinness head is good alright, its been a while since I bothered tho.

In mayo just ask for a pint of Special;)

Links234 wrote: »
    I had a Smithwicks with a Guinness head once. was quite nice actually

Was that a drink or someone called Smithwicks :D

Only joking,any drink with a Guinness head is nice actually :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

I like it, but prefer Kilkenny Ale a bit more, just harder to find on tap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,472 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

In mayo just ask for a pint of Special;)

Yep and some sh1tholes will add the bit of guinness to the smithwicks to make it look good when they are serving complete muck. Makes it disgusting though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭Babalons

JBnaglfar wrote: »

Good point. Smithwicks is a far superior tipple than tack such as Butt-Wiper. (AKA budweiser)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

The best thing about smithwicks is hearing foreigners trying to pronounce it:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Ditch

I now make home brew ale and Smithwicks is sometimes the closest you can get over here.

:confused: What on earth type of Home Brew ye creating there, mate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Years ago in Dublin you had the choice of Guinness ,harp or smithwicks, smithwicks was for the starterofers, very easy & light to drink but you weren't thought of as real drinker,not till you drank the Black stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

Chuileog wrote: »
    The best thing about smithwicks is hearing foreigners trying to pronounce it:)

Or people from this country. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭strokemyclover

I'm convinced puberty had nothing to do with the amount of bodily hair I developed as a teen.....I'm 99% sure it was all down to Smithwicks!

Yeah smithwicks is my drink lovely stuff!! Been drinking it since I was about 19. Id have Guinness sometimes but almost always Smithwicks.

At one stage about 7 of my gang of friends were drinking it back then some still do and some do occasionally.

Smithwicks is in every pub in Galway and I have to say I was quite shocked to find it was hard to get in Cork when I moved there, its appearing in a lot of places in the last year or so though so it must be making a come back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

I must say this has piqued by interest,because I too started on Smithwicks but abandoned it when I started on Harp (Guiness was the the only other choice in those far off days,indeed Harp wasn't often available in some pubs).

I may try a bottle at the weekend for old times sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

I'm convinced puberty had nothing to do with the amount of bodily hair I developed as a teen.....I'm 99% sure it was all down to Smithwicks!

Puts hairs on your hair and curls your teeth!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,429 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I'm glad the anti Smithwick comments have ceased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Aodan83 wrote: »
    I know a guy who drinks Smithwicks with a Guinness head.

I use to drink lots of Smithwicks with a dash (head) of Guinness.
    I asked for a pint of Ale with a dash in Waterford once & the barmaid poured in a drop of red lemonade :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

It's called Lovejuice back my way cos apparantly you fúck like a tiger on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭JayeL

I'd drink Smithwicks more if it was consistently good; as it is, you can never be quite sure and dodgy pints of it are common in my experience.

Heard from a friend that Smithwicks changed their recipe to something closer to MacArdles 2-3 years ago, something's different because I tried it around 7 years ago and it was fizzled and plainer.

Really got in to English ales lately, Old Speckled Hen, London Pride and Bishops Finger. Seriously dodge names though, I'd much prefer Newkie Broon but bottles of that are like hen's teeth here and the cans are muck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

For some reason the word "lovejuice" makes me shshhudder more than the taste of Smithwicks does.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭jt69er

Smithwicks changed the brewing method/recipe around 2 years ago and as a result pint has improved considerably!

I use to drink lots of Smithwicks with a dash (head) of Guinness.
    I asked for a pint of Ale with a dash in Waterford once & the barmaid poured in a drop of red lemonade :mad:

You must be a female so?,because that's what we do here,but its usually a dash of blackcurrant :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭hoorsmelt

I love Smithwicks and I'm only 21- been drinking it since I was 17, and it's fantastic, smooth, crisp and cool with a nice taste. Heavenly after coming back from the bog with blisters opening up on your hands and the back of your neck scorched from the sun: that's what life is all about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,590 ✭✭✭baldbear

It's a quality drink. I only started drinking it last year after a tour at there brewery. Jaysus i dunno how anyone drinks pissweiser, the king of piss!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

It's nice, it's a good Sunday afternoon pint for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Used to drink it years ago,it's still my fathers drink of choice.Some of my friends still drink large Macs(macardles).Ale is very popular in parts of the US. especially around the northeast.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

If you walked into my local and asked the barman for "lovejuice" you'd be stretchered out.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Awful_Bliss

Smithwicks gave me the worst hangovers possible. Massive headaches, puking etc like no other. Once I stopped drinking it I felt younger. I miss it cos it was quite nice and different.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement