Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smithwicks !

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

hoorsmelt wrote: »
    I love Smithwicks and I'm only 21- been drinking it since I was 17, and it's fantastic, smooth, crisp and cool with a nice taste. Heavenly after coming back from the bog with blisters opening up on your hands and the back of your neck scorched from the sun: that's what life is all about.

You got blisters on your hands from the bog? What kind of toilets does your local pub have?:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭hoorsmelt

zerks wrote: »
    You got blisters on your hands from the bog? What kind of toilets does your local pub have?:eek:

Good ones...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

JayeL wrote: »
    Really got in to English ales lately, Old Speckled Hen, London Pride and Bishops Finger. Seriously dodge names though, I'd much prefer Newkie Broon but bottles of that are like hen's teeth here and the cans are muck.

Yeah they are good alright. I'm sitting at home with another English Ale right now, Spitfire.
    You must be a female so?,because that's what we do here,but its usually a dash of blackcurrant :)

I've heard of a dash of blackcurrant with Guinness, but never with Smithwicks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

edit: double post, stupid internet connection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

garv123 wrote: »
    where i worked about 10 regulars drank it. all 50+ years old
    never tried it myself. its not as strong as most large bottles. its only 3.8% instead of normal 4.3%

the large bottle is known in Wexford as "a driver's drink".

My preference is for English ales but in the absence of same I'll drink Smithwicks when I am out - prefer the large bottle over draught but not that easy to get everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

In mayo just ask for a pint of Special;)

I was shocked Special wasnt mentioned one page one! Where I'm from, if you ask for a pint of beer, Smithwicks is what you'll get! It still seems popular in Mayo and Galway, but my boyfriend got one in Clare and his brother advised him he shouldnt have done that, because so few would drink it down there the tap would be stale! Sure enough, it didnt go down too well:)!

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pauro 76

Humans eh! wrote: »
    Can you still get Caffreys on Draught?
    I used to love the stuff.
    Smithwicks is nice with literally a teaspoon of red lemonade in it, could ba all in my head but it works for me.

Not sure about Ireland but certain london pubs you can still get it on tap. But lovely stuff all the same...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

The only thing good about Smithwicks is that its impossible to gulp down quick, hence if you want to drag out a beer over a session its an ideal choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭GEasy

Aodan83 wrote: »
    I know a guy who drinks Smithwicks with a Guinness head. On more than one occasion the person behind the bar has given him a pint of each. Gets very annoyed by that so he does.
    A common drink where I'm from! I'd get the pint back if I landed two glasses in front of them !! Beer special !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

JBnaglfar wrote: »
    Yeah they are good alright. I'm sitting at home with another English Ale right now, Spitfire.

I've heard of a dash of blackcurrant with Guinness, but never with Smithwicks.

In Waterford a dash is usually with whatever drink you want,but the Guinness one is for the travelling women :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

You must be a female so?,because that's what we do here,but its usually a dash of blackcurrant :)

Nope I'm a fella.
    Blackcurrant sounds even worse tbh. Too sweet for my taste anyway!

reap-a-rat wrote: »
    if you ask for a pint of beer, Smithwicks is what you'll get! It still seems popular in Mayo and Galway

I'd say you are from my general area, love walking into the pub and asking for a pint of beer and getting a lovely pint of smithwicks.

I tried it once in galway city and was handed a pint of bud, I wont be taking the chance again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Only people from Kilkenny/Carlow drink it :)
    The only person I know who drinks it is from Waterford. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

It's my dad's favourite drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Nope I'm a fella.
    Blackcurrant sounds even worse tbh. Too sweet for my taste anyway!

Ah i only said that because its mostly women who get a dash in a drink, although im not saying the drink was for you ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

The only thing good about Smithwicks is that its impossible to gulp down quick, hence if you want to drag out a beer over a session its an ideal choice.

Speak for yourself! My problem is that it's too easy to drink!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

i know more people from dublin that drink it than i do from carlow....and i grew up in carlow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Nope I'm a fella.!

you sure ain't just a really really butch woman?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Metallitroll

when in the Pumphouse we'd make a point of drinking it; the brewery was directly opposite so if it wasn't good there it wasn't good anywhere

it wasn't good there. j/k ;-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Trenchman

I'm a long time drinker of Smithwicks.I think it's grand, very easy to sup.A good few of my friends drink it.Has to be a cold bottle, although strangely my brother will only drink shelf bottles of it.They are 300 years in existence so someone is doing something right!I don't really get bad hangovers from it either, thank God.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Work in an offie and its a slow seller, we have a couple of regulars that buy it, all male and over 40. I've never really been into ales but its ok. Would drink it before i'd touch any of the English ales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

I pronounce it 'Smith-Wix' simply to annoy people.

Then when someone attempts to correct my mispronunciation i either walk away from them or start singing loudly to block out what they're saying. To deny them correcting me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭merlie

It smells something like dirty dishwater! I think of all alcohol drinks its one of the most foul smelling! IMO

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I've only drank it once and fairly recently too, my Dad drinks it a fair bit

It tasted as weak as water, I had to check if it was...*

*it was one hour after a pint of Duvel in fairness however

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Used to drink it, more bottles of Miller or Bulmers now.

If you get a nice pint of it, it really hits the spot, so don't bother trying it in clubs!

The cans aren't too bad, always found the bottles horrible stuff.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Lovely pint to sit and enjoy when you're out for just a couple of drinks.

Used to know an old fella that drank bottles of Smithwicks, he asked to see the bottle first and unless it was near or past its sell by date he'd say "thats a bit too young, have ya any older ones at the back".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

K-9 wrote: »
    Used to drink it, more bottles of Miller or Bulmers now.

If you get a nice pint of it, it really hits the spot, so don't bother trying it in clubs!

The cans aren't too bad, always found the bottles horrible stuff.

you like miller, how the fk do you know what a good pint tastes like?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Dylzer

The Bernard Shaw plus a pint a Smithwicks plus out the back = Im fcukin happy now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Ah Smithwicks is great funeral/wedding drink if you don't want to make a complete fecking eejit of yourself but keep pace on the round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

RichieC wrote: »
    you like miller, how the fk do you know what a good pint tastes like?

Why, what should we all drink?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Some organic, limited edition, difficult to pronounce microbrewery product. Extra cool points if it comes with a funky shaped glass. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭portumnadaz

I always found it a bit too bitter but its years since i chanced it, sure its probably owned by some shower of ***** in Italy by now. It gave me the scour aswell now thinking back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,983 ✭✭✭Degag

Aodan83 wrote: »
    I know a guy who drinks Smithwicks with a Guinness head. On more than one occasion the person behind the bar has given him a pint of each. Gets very annoyed by that so he does.
    Probably one of those people who instead of saying "A Smithwicks with a Guinness head please" says "Smithwicks *mumble mumble* Guinness *mumble*"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

Anything other than rat piss or "beer" that is made with rat piss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Smithwicks, f*cking love it. By far the nicest pint you'll find in most places these days, and the fact that it's usually cheaper than most others is a bonus. A damn shame it's not more widely appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

nice pint, and certainly cheaper than a lot of other pints

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

I drink it most of the time as do a lot of my friends. It has a nice balance between creaminess and quaffabilty. The only other things worth drinking in pubs besides stout are Czech and German beers but they leave you shitfaced after 3.5 bottles or pints. 6 Smithwicks will make you nicely merry with a very light hangover the next day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I'm the same as a previous poster, tried it on the tour of the Brewery and drinking it ever since, pints in pubs, cans at home.

My question would be how come it's so expensive to get in the can? It's always around the €2 mark, would love to get it cheaper if anyone knows of any off-licences/supermarkets that sell it cheaper. I usually get it in my local Dunnes or Next Door off-licence.

Oh ya, that Smithwicks pint with the Guinness head, my mates in Sligo call it Sh!tmix on account of the stomach problems you might face after a few of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Mr. Denton

Have to say I like it. Goes down easy too. I can literally drink it like tap-water ... and then I'm in trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Smithwicks yum yum!

The alcoholic drink of men.

Cant get enough of the stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

In summer time, I love a pint of Smithwicks with a good shot of red lemonade. Lovely speckly red head on it! Goes down easy. Great thirst quencher.

Its funny how its mainly viewed as an old mans beer. You would think Guinness would be the ultimate old mans drink, but the power of marketing has sorted that out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Smithwicks is very popular in my pub in Louth, serve it by the barrel load to the Northies. Also drunk by many locals.

Nothing unusual about Smithwicks and a Guinness head around here, standard practice. As is Smithwicks shandy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

And Germans ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

If the 300th birthday was properly marketed it would be a different story now. Its a great drink if there is a flow, guinness head (special) if there is not. if the bottom of the glass is bright almost golden then you gota give it a go, if is real dark and cloudy wise to keep away.

A smithwicks drinkers club would get people into it again, if an inner city pub marketed it right there should be no reason for the brand not to take off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

It's becoming popular in the States. A lot of bars over there have it now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

I would/do drink it in pubs if it's cheap/cheaper than having a slightly nicer tasting pint.

Yeah, I know, I'm a cheaparse. But hey, I'm a student :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Smithwicks is great if your going on a big session, flows down the hatch nice and easy. I hate the new glass their serving it in though, I always ask for my mine to be poured in a stout glass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

this is kinda odd, but since I started HRT, my tastes have really changed, and I've gone mad for Smithwicks! :o like, before I thought it was ok, but lately I adore it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Smithwicks is very popular in my pub in Louth, serve it by the barrel load to the Northies. Also drunk by many locals.

Nothing unusual about Smithwicks and a Guinness head around here, standard practice. As is Smithwicks shandy.

It's a load of ****e. McArdles is a miles better drink, if you can get it that is. Smithwicks (along with Harp) was only bought by Guinness to diversify from stout and capture the rest of the beer drinking market over here before people actually tasted proper beers.

Nordies lager of choice is Harp - enough said. I wouldn't be going by their taste buds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

It's big around Kilkenny and surrounding areas
    That's about it

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement