Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An aquaintence of mine just found an old rifle in his dads estate... what to do?

Options
  • 09-03-2011 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

Can he just hand it into a RFD and be in the clear?
    Can the RFD then sell it for him to a license holder ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Strictly speaking, he's meant to call the local gardai and have them come get it (or tell him what to do with it).
    If he's going to sell it, things get more interesting - if he just found it lying around, it's not his to sell, and if it does belong to him, where's it's licence, that sort of awkward question. And since the origin has to go on the RFC1 for the buyer's licence, and the RFDs paperwork has to list it as well, the odds are the question would get asked.
    Safe answer? Call the local station and report it. It's not really worth the hassle of trying to do otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 woodcock 52

The main thing to do is bring it to local firearms dealer or hand in for storage to local Garda firearms officer, that way nobody has unlicensed firearm. Can decide to sell it, licence it themselves or get it decomissioned and apply to local Supt for permit to keep it.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

Sparks wrote: »
    Strictly speaking, he's meant to call the local gardai and have them come get it (or tell him what to do with it).
    If he's going to sell it, things get more interesting - if he just found it lying around, it's not his to sell, and if it does belong to him, where's it's licence, that sort of awkward question. And since the origin has to go on the RFC1 for the buyer's licence, and the RFDs paperwork has to list it as well, the odds are the question would get asked.
    Safe answer? Call the local station and report it. It's not really worth the hassle of trying to do otherwise.

Ideally he'd hand it in to a RFD and the dealer would then export it to me in the USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

how old is old,,is it antique,if so its worth money.
    any make or calibre on it,,should be stamped on gun.
    any pics,,might be worth a look

daveob007 wrote: »
    how old is old,,is it antique,if so its worth money.
    any make or calibre on it,,should be stamped on gun.
    any pics,,might be worth a look

Its an Irish made Kavanagh single shot rook rifle.
    Its certainly pre 1928 as W.Kavanagh and Son ceased tradign then
    Its worth about about 500 US

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

try and get a better quote,then hand it to a dealer for sale,,someone here might buy that..

daveob007 wrote: »
    try and get a better quote,then hand it to a dealer for sale,,someone here might buy that..

I want to buy it!
    Im basing that number of 2 auctions I could dredge up on the internet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

imo he should contact the guards to cover his own arse, it is an unlicenced firearm afterall, unfortunately i would reckon harmoniums that this will result in the firearm being stored or destroyed with little to no hope of you being ale to buy it. best thing to do is to get the details off him have him hand it in see what the guards want him to do with it and try and recover it from there!! again this is only my opinion sorry to be sooo bleak!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

He should avoid getting himself in a tight spot first. Ring the local cops and have them come get it. Wouldn't be caught dead transporting it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Once reported and stored he can simply apply for a license for it and once achieved it is his to sell

I would call a local RFD to see if
    they will store it for him (and at what cost) and then call the local station to say he found it - how should he get it to RFD for storage - while at it tell them he wants to sell it so does he need license or can he sell it on behalf of fathers estate who we presume had it licensed.

No big deal once you keep the Gardai in the loop and document everything

B'Man

• Advertisement
Advertisement