Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Depression - How do you afford the medications?

Options
  • 09-03-2011 10:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Reposting this as it was in the incorrect thread the 1st time around .....

I have been suffering from depression for years now but I had really put myself in the "denial" mode as I really wasn't able to admit to myself nevermind to family or friends that I was depressed. Well here I am now after years where I can admit it and take action. I finally got the courage to go admit out loud and went and discussed how I was feeling with my doctor he suggested to take some time off work as if I kept working at my job without a break that I would probably end up draining myself. He had given me a prescription for some tablets a sick note for work and off I went. Well the sick note expired Monday so I went to see him again and he has extended my leave from work and put me on a different medication as I felt the one I was on wasn't really making feel any better. Obviously with all tablets it takes time for them to adjust to your body. I sent in my forms to Social Welfare for the illness benefit and received a letter saying I was eligible to receive it. The situation I'm in now is every time I go see my doctor it's 50 Euro plus the new tablets he put me on cost 42 Euro for a months supply and they take 2-6 weeks before your body may adjust to them and then of course take for as long as needed and when/if the day came where you felt you didn't need them anymore you would still need to continue taking them for months afterwards. I want to get better here but now that I'm out of work (with no sickness pay) I am receiving an illness benefit but once I paid the doctor and the tablets today the check I received was spent.

Finally getting to a question here, I was looking for advice to see how you were affording to cope with the costs. I don't know how long I'll be out of work but would I be eligible for a medical card if every time I go visit my doctor he extends my leave from work? I feel I have taken a giant step here to be able to admit I have depression and I want to have it treated but now I don't know if I can afford too. This is really stressing me out and after paying 42 Euro for the tablets I'm afraid to take them as what if I can't afford the next months supply. Any advice would be appreciated.

I'm so glad I found an area to discuss my illness and to know you understand how I'm feeling. I'm sorry for anyone who have either been through this or are now dealing with it as in my mind it's not a very happy place to be. Some people just don't get it and don't understand it's an illness.

Thank you for reading my post.
    Maria

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

If your GP could refer you to your local community mental health clinic you could get your prescriptions written by a psychiatrist there,scripts written by community mental health clinics are provided free of charge(50c charge per item.)

I dont have a medical card either and couldn't afford my prescriptions otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

If your GP could refer you to your local community mental health clinic you could get your prescriptions written by a psychiatrist there,scripts written by community mental health clinics are provided free of charge(50c charge per item.)

I dont have a medical card either and couldn't afford my prescriptions otherwise.

this only applies in certain (few) parts of the country

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

sam34 wrote: »
    this only applies in certain (few) parts of the country

Okay,sorry I didn't know that,thought it applied everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

no it's only in one of the old healthboard regions.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭odnauq

there is a cap on how much you have to pay. Talk to the Community Health Officer and take good care of yourself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement