Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dumping 02

Options
  • 09-03-2011 10:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭

I'm with them for years, and am sick of the offers that new customers can avail of. So I'm off. Anyone any opinions on the others? Voda; Meteor, or 3?

Thanks in advance.

Freddie.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

Just did it. Changed over to 3 Mobile.

€40 a month - 350 units (phone call = one unit and 2 texts = one unit) - Free unlimited calls to 3 mobiles - Free unlimited calls to landlines - Free unlimited data allowance. Samsung Galaxy S for €99 and got a free iPod 2Gb Shuffle worth €49.

Beat that O2. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Just did it. Changed over to 3 Mobile.

€40 a month - 350 units (phone call = one unit and 2 texts = one unit) - Free unlimited calls to 3 mobiles - Free unlimited calls to landlines - Free unlimited data allowance. Samsung Galaxy S for €99 and got a free iPod 2Gb Shuffle worth €49.

Beat that O2. :rolleyes:

Aiming for PAYG myself. What's the coverage like?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Svetti Arss

I dumped O2 last year and moved to 3. No regrets much much better value and got an HTC desire HD for just over €100 with trade-in + a free ipod.

Customer service is based abroad but any one I ever spoke to was on the ball. My last bill from O2 was over €250; They said that because I had agreed to free texts every month I had effectively entered a new contract. I complained and they refunded the money. Never going back to O2 again.

UPDATE: coverage in the Republic is good. NI wasnt great last time I was there.

I dumped O2 last year and moved to 3. No regrets much much better value and got an HTC desire HD for just over €100 with trade-in + a free ipod.

Customer service is based abroad but any one I ever spoke to was on the ball. My last bill from O2 was over €250; They said that because I had agreed to free texts every month I had effectively entered a new contract. I complained and they refunded the money. Never going back to O2 again.

UPDATE: coverage in the Republic is good. NI wasnt great last time I was there.

Thanks for the info.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Most networks seem to be doing offers that favour people changing over from other networks over loyal customers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Hoopshead

Im having terrible trouble with Vodafone,damaged iphone last Friday,and still no response from insurance company.My bill is over €125 per month but customer care is crap,they say Im still in contract till September,but surely they have broken it first with their crap service,I would love to tell them to fcuk off,any ideas?

Most networks seem to be doing offers that favour people changing over from other networks over loyal customers

That's it I'm afraid. That's why I'm moving to 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭scholes

Totally agree , If I am completely honest I would like to stay with 02 but they don't seem to care about reducing their prices or changing their rediculous data allowance. I was trying to get an iphone last august and waited months but they were out of stock. When they eventually came back into stock they increased the price to 45 euro and went fron 2 gig to 500 meg.
    I work in a large organisation and so many people have left to join either meteor or three. I can't believe I stayed so long , my wife and I are changing next month , prob to three and all family will follow.
    02 sent a text to customers last month asking if they were happy. I said no and received a call explaining all this to them and said i wanted to go bill pay on a smartphone but the data allowance was rediculous and i could get better with three.
    They offered me 20 euro credit!!! on pay as you go which i refused. They said they would get someone to contact me and I received a call from the bill pay department looking for me to join bill pay?? I said I could get much better deals else where and they just said fine.

They must be losing customers in droves and they don't seem to care. I'd love to know how many customers they have lost to meteor or three over the last 2 months. Fair play three and meteor for caring about customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭kellsred

Switched from Meteor to 3 at the end of December. Couldn't be happier.
    I top up by €20 online and automatically get €2 free. Also get €10 free 30 days after topping up with €20.
    Free calls at weekends, free texts to all networks all the time, and for €4.99 I get 500Mb data, which I use constantly on my Nokia E52 and have not come close to going over yet.
    No coverage issues at all, live in Dublin during the week and Meath at weekends.

Thumbs up from me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Freddie59 wrote: »
    I'm with them for years, and am sick of the offers that new customers can avail of. So I'm off. Anyone any opinions on the others? Voda; Meteor, or 3?

Thanks in advance.

Freddie.
    Both Meteor and Vodafone have a pay as you go switch offer at the moment.
    If you port into them, keeping your existing number and top up at least €20 per month, each month, for twelve months, they will give you an extra €20 per month for twelve months. So you get €240 credit "free".

That's on top of the standard €20 30-day free on-network Calls and Texts or free any network texts.

• Advertisement

Kensington wrote: »
    If you port into them, keeping your existing number and top up at least €20 per month, each month, for twelve months, they will give you an extra €20 per month for twelve months. So you get €240 credit "free".

That's on top of the standard €20 30-day free on-network Calls and Texts or free any network texts.

Am I right is saying that Three also have an offer whereby if you top up by 20 Euro each month you get 10 Euro a month extra - forever?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭woodzie

THe only way to make O2 listen is to leave them. Look what happened in prepay a few years ago when they had to introduce free calls and texts as their prepay customers were leaving in droves.

I was looking at O2's results online for 2010 and they lost 27,100 prepay customers between September and December 2010 but only gained 6,700 bill pay customers. They lost 20,400 customers in 3 months. I would imagine this is continuing into this year so I cannot understand why they are continuing to be so uncompetitive. They have tried to gloss over these figures by saying that during 2010 they only lost 1,100 customers however if you look at the results it was in the second half of the year they began seriously not being able to match the number of customers lost with the number of customers gained.

You can see there results here: http://www.o2.com/media/press_releases/latest_pr_14775.asp

Just click on download full press release.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Will23

just wanted to resurrect this thread as i have been feeling this way about o2 since they tried to f** me over with a broken phone a few months back.

i eventually got through to some one who could make a decision (by email in customer sevice - no one on the phone was empowered to make executive decisions!!!) but i told them regardless of what they do im leaving when my contract is up in dec.

so any of ye recommend where to go?

have a €45 contract but end up spending €70-80 month on my phone.

cheers for any thoughts/advice folks.

Will

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Download your call history from the O2 site, and do a breakdown of the calls, text etc you are making.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Kensington wrote: »

Yes, but if you have a smartphone you'll need that extra credit to pay for data use.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Hoopshead

My contract is up with Vodafone next month,so Im waiting to see what they offer me before I go anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Hoopshead wrote: »
    My contract is up with Vodafone next month,so Im waiting to see what they offer me before I go anywhere.

They'll offer you sweet fanny adams I'm afraid.
    Seems to me that Irish network providers are limited to what they can actually offer, ie its either black or white as to terms and conditions displayed in the price plans.

When I was with vodafone uk contract, every year I'd tell them I was porting to o2 when my contract was due for renewal, and every year they seemed to offer me various deals like reduced rates, free upgrade on handsets, extra mins/texts etc.

When I told o2 last year that I was porting to 3 (bearing in mind my bills were usually between 2-300 per month. despite being with them for close to 6 years, They told me that the current plan I was on (think it was 99€+vat) was the best they could offer me, and the only reason they could provide me with as top why I shouldn't port, was our network its superior.....:rolleyes:

One year on, I've found three to be excellent!
    I use my phone for business most of the time, for 90 a month INCLUDING vat, I have unlimited calls and texts to all Irish networks and landlines, something like 5000 mins to call uk mobiles :eek:, and unlimited data.

Network coverage, I find to be excellent (don't heed the haters saying otherwise) my job covers ALL of Ireland, and I've yet to encounter an area where I have no reception, yes, sometimes I lose 3g signal when the phone latches on to vodafone, but this fixes itself back to normal after a while.

My bills come in now at 90ish a month, overall I'm over the moon with three, have noticed the last few times I've called customer care, its Irish people (not that I had much trouble with the indian folk anyway) international texts can't be sent via web text (I just call people in north/uk for free rather than text) Io can roam in any country with a three network for free (incoming AND outgoing calls/texts)

Best thing I did was join three, couldn't be happier!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭VNP

Same story just out of 18 month contract with 02 they are crap. I ll never have any dealings with them again they couldnt give a damn same 45 e month package was costing at least 70 compared to my other halfs useage on vodafone i was being completely screwed. Also sick of them and their ridiculous offers for treats and random silly gimmics that have no relevance to your phone call or text price its no compensation for being ripped off. Think i ll go pay as you go

I think the prepaid plans are almost better than the bill pay on O2 at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

BostonB wrote: »
    I think the prepaid plans are almost better than the bill pay on O2 at the moment.

I used to be on prepay and I used to spend an absolute fortune on credit, so I had to stop and change to billpay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Get a pre pay sim from the networks you're considering and test out the signal where you live, work and play. At least that way you'll have an idea of good coverage initially anyway before you decide to enter a contract (if you go for a contract).

I used to be on prepay and I used to spend an absolute fortune on credit, so I had to stop and change to billpay.

Its depends on your usage. Most people don't breakdown how much they spend on each network. Mine are 90% on O2, so something like the Golden Sim with cheap off network calls is ideal. I don't use data.

Its depends on your usage. Most people don't breakdown how much they spend on each network. Mine are 90% on O2, so something like the Golden Sim with cheap off network calls is ideal. I don't use data.

I rarely go online on my phone. I mainly use it for calling/texting.

I rarely go online on my phone. I mainly use it for calling/texting.

Do you know your breakdown of calls/text to which network etc.

That should tell you why its costing you so much.

I recently changed to another plan, and my bill went down dramatically.

EDIT: I'm the only member of my household who is with 02 afaik.

I have one brother on 02, my sister, father and other brother are all on Meteor

Teh plan I'm on at the moment is "Clear 250"

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Mobile Phone Companies are rep. on this thread.Covert Sales People.

Advertisement